Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ways to make a difference ?

with summer right around the corner, and my wanting to spend some quality time outside, i'm having ideas of doing some things for the community. Why not have a BBQ, get together, and do some community improvements? maybe as small as cutting the overgrown grass and such at a local park, a belle isle clean up, etc. community stuff that everyone can benifit from.

Anyone have any ideas that can be tackled by a small group over a weekend?

"it only takes an idea to start a revolution"

I heard some very amusing advice about that. "Aw, don't bother trying to spearhead something. Just go to the bar and you'll meet somebody who already has a cool idea and needs help."

And I'm not trying to be facetious. I thought it was funny and I bet it often works ... even if you end up drinking more ...

Well, I had an idea to organize a group of volunteers to help beautify the Lafayette Bldg site by turning it into a park/greenspace, but apparently, Compuware beat me to it. There is another poster here trying to put together a group to clean Michigan Avenue.

I will also be spearheading another project with a friend, who plays pro baseball in Germany, to bring baseball to inner-city youths. We are just getting the ball rolling right now, but we are planning to submit a proposal to develop old Tiger Stadium, or potentially another abandoned location in the city where we can set up baseball diamonds.

The other idea I have is to form a group that does "Flash Projects." I borrowed the name from "Flash Parties", where a group of people get together in a public place and throw a party that lasts only a very short period of time then disperses. Instead, what I want to do is organize a smallish group that can assembly quickly and tackle a variety of small projects around the city in the matter of an hour or so. I was thinking people could nominate ideas, and twice a month, like a FLASH!, the group would show up at a location and get a project done. The projects could be anything from cleaning a lot, to planting some trees, to painting a fence, or anything that makes the city better. If our group could inspire the formation of more Flash groups, it could be like fireworks of progress popping all over the place!
    Last edited by BrushStart; March-28-11 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I heard some very amusing advice about that. "Aw, don't bother trying to spearhead something. Just go to the bar and you'll meet somebody who already has a cool idea and needs help."

And I'm not trying to be facetious. I thought it was funny and I bet it often works ... even if you end up drinking more ...
    Chances are, the spearheader will buy you a few drinks and you will conveniently forget what you promised the next day, that's my specialty con art.

Join GRDC's efforts, including their Graffiti-Busters effort this Sat. and throughout the summer:

http://www.grdc.org/id16.html