Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Are there any paths through the Uniroyal site to MacArthur Bridge?

I just got my bike out and want to bike from downtown to Belle Isle. The Riverwalk gets you all the way to Mt. Elliot, but then diverts you to Jefferson as the area through the Uniroyal site has not been developed to connect to the Riverwalk to the MacArthur Bridge to Belle Isle.

In the past, I've just followed the detour along Jefferson, but I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to bike through the Uniroyal site, and then picked up the Riverwalk again at Gabriel Richard Park, which then connects to MacArthur Bridge?

Looking at satellite images on Google [http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&ie=U...2411&t=h&z=19] you can see that there appears to be the start of walking path, but I can't tell how far it goes and what condition it is in...

If anyone has ever walked or biked through the Uniroyal site, I'd appreciate your input, otherwise, I will just have to go do the leg work for myself.

Yes there are paths through it, but you can only access them from the bridge end along the river - the other side is blocked by fences that are usually closed.

This is what is at the other end of the field from Grand Boulevard and the bridge:
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=2257

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Yes there are paths through it, but you can only access them from the bridge end along the river - the other side is blocked by fences that are usually closed.

This is what is at the other end of the field from Grand Boulevard and the bridge:
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=2257
    Interesting... I'll probably steer clear of it then, as I was hoping to find a shortcut to the bridge without having to detour on Jefferson. It would be a waste of time tying to navigate through that area only to realize that I was boxed in by a fence.

The video is neat BTW, and the background music is straight up ominous. lol

Can you still take the old railroad right of way under Jefferson? Or is it too overgrown?

detroitjim Guest

From M-bike.org 12-2010

More on the Uniroyal site

Today’s Crain’s Detroit Business includes an article on the Uniroyal site cleanup.
    This site is the abandoned river property which sits between the MacArthur Bridge [[to Belle Isle) and Mt Elliot Park. This is a major missing segment of the RiverWalk. It could also be the terminus for the Gleaner’s Greenway currently being studied.
    But it’s not just development plans riding on the cleanup of the Uniroyal site.
    Its access to the Detroit River makes it among the last unfinished sections of the 3.5-mile RiverWalk path, said Faye Nelson, CEO of the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy.
    She said the funds have been secured to build the RiverWalk on the Uniroyal site once the cleanup is finished.
    “Once this site is made available to us, we can make a critical connection to make up the majority of the remaining construction,” she said. “We’re eagerly looking forward to beginning work there.”
    If the cleanup begins next March and lasts 18 months as stated then the RiverWalk construction could begin as early as 2013.

Potential Gleaners Greenway

http://classic.mapmyride.com/ride/un...28927091534039
    Last edited by detroitjim; March-28-11 at 02:19 PM.