Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eleventh Hour Reprieve for Cass Tech?

According to a Freep article, there is a legit offer being made to purchase Cass Tech and re-hab the place with lofts, condos, retail space, et. al.

Wonder how far this will go?
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...text|FRONTPAGE

There was a ligit offer to purchase and redevelop Tiger Stadium also, and as soon as it looked like we where gaining support the proposal was rejected and they rushed to finish the demolition.

Its the same issue here, here is what I feel is going on...

#1 If DPS was so concerned about the safety of the students and creating a green space for the new Cass Tech, the school would have been torn down 5 years ago.

#2 Illitch is about to build a new Hockey arena a few blocks away. With the rumors going on to cover I-75, and the economic growth that is about to happen in this area if the stadium gets built, the land that Cass Tech is sitting on is prime real estate.

#3 If a Hockey arena gets built a few blocks away, the area around the new arena should look clean. An old Cass Tech school that looks run down with no windows would create a negative impact on the new hockey arena.

#4 We see the developer has included a check with a $20,000 deposit, the question is what is the proposed purchase price of the building?

#5 Im going to speculate that the building purchase price is right around $500,000-$750,000 in its current condition. Once you get possession of the building, your going to spend another $7-10 million dollars to renovate it and turn it into lofts.

If you sell the building to a developer, all he is going to do is board up the windows and wait to see what happens with the Hockey arena. As soon as construction starts on the hockey arena, the developer is going to tear down Cass Tech himself, clear the land and sell it for several million dollars for a quick profit.

Personally I think its Tiger Stadium all over again, the city is going to tear it down and there is nothing we can do to stop it no matter how much money we have or how many people support saving it.

While I agree on what is posted above and would normally be par to the course but what makes this situation different is the alumni behind the push which is making it not an local issue,which was the case in Tiger stadium and others in the past.

the developer stated IF it gained the support,there are lots of public and some powerful persons in the background which could pool resources to make it happen.

Potential expensive piece of dirt because of what is proposed for the area in the future? Then it would be wise to rehabilitate it because it would be a good investment,surly they will consider how it would fit into the big picture and develop to fit it just makes sense.

It is going to interesting to see how this will play out as the call to if you believe in it take a part in its future is passed. There have been statements made by some well known celebrities in the past, if they do not step up now it would seem as though it was just reminiscing and not true support for what they believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    There was a ligit offer to purchase and redevelop Tiger Stadium also, and as soon as it looked like we where gaining support the proposal was rejected and they rushed to finish the demolition.
    Rushed? It stood there for around 10 years waiting for someone to do something with it.
    Someone comes in at the 11th hour and says hold on we now have a deal to developed it?
    Who said it was a ligit offer? The people who came up with the proposal?

Until the viceroy of DPS says it's a done deal, it is just smoke and mirrors. Everytime some building is facing the wrecking ball there is the typical "we have interest" statement from some unimportant person. Why wasn't the developer there at the rally to confirm that yes, there is genuine interest to buy the building?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...-Tech-building

...this is a long-shot, but if it does happen.. I'd suggest mixed income rather than low-income units; might avoid a lot of turnover..

Here is my take on this.....give this so called ligit offer until June to put it together, that is when demolition is due to start.....if nothing is in place by the time the recking ball comes then tear it down.
    Plain and simple....time limit not like Tiger stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    #4 We see the developer has included a check with a $20,000 deposit, the question is what is the proposed purchase price of the building?
    It's common to require a bidder to put up a deposit check for construction type bids. There's nothing special about this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    According to a Freep article, there is a legit offer being made to purchase Cass Tech and re-hab the place with lofts, condos, retail space, et. al.
    Shops,lofts, condos
    Lofts,shops, restaurants
    Condos, shops, restaurants

Been hearing numerous developments with these combos for over 25 yrs for spots downtown, haven't seen too many pan out, don't hold much hope.

If CT is actually in the path of Illitch's new arena area, might as well let it go now. Trying to save it, like Tiger Stadium will be a folly. Illitch will steamroll any effort that gets in his way. Might as well not drag out all the emotion over an extended time period as with Tiger Stadium.

NorthEndere Guest

A major component of this - which has not often been a part of other mixed-used proposals - working class housing.

On the merits of the proposal, doesn't anyone else find it a little convenient that the developer comes in as the thing is being brought down? This tells me that this "unnamed developer" isn't really serious. This is a move being done out of desperation, not because they've worked out the numbers of the project, and I say this as someone pissed that Cass Tech is coming down, and that it was never properly sealed in the first place.

I tell you waht, though; if there was anywhere I'd like to see housing built around it's decent schools like Cass Tech. And, even with this loss, Cass Park/Corridor and the site of the Brewsters will be the next hot properties this decade. They are the last two frontiers of Midtown.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-28-11 at 02:33 AM.

#6 to Claude G's list would be, "What is it cost of getting out the demolition contract with Homrich?"

My dream scenario [I had this with Lee Plaza and Northwestern HS too] would see a long term educational construction and hospitality industry project, where students of the high school are involved in the restoration of the property as a residential hotel - upper floors condos, lower floor hotel rooms. In an intern/mentoring setting students learn construction and renovations skills during recovery, then learn hotel and property management skills once the property comes online.

This would dovetail nicely with the original 'technical' intent of the name Cass Tech.

First of all, yes, if they were so concerned with 'green space' for 'The Children'
    ....why didn't they make improvements to Cass Park, directly across the street
    from the school ? That Park needs LOTS of improvements, and would also
    spark interest in trying to save Masonic Temple, and the whole area, there
    in that neighborhood. Something tells me a big "Hold" is taking place, so certain
    'entities' can clear the way for THEIR interests, not any students, or residents.
    "Not Yet".
    Secondly, Why is it that every single project started, or even just planned, in this
    City......just HAS to include "Low-Income" Housing.
    Why is it that everything new or improved, has to include the low-income or poor.
    They're rebuilding by MLK Blvd./Lodge. All low-income. They're throwing all kinds of low-income deals at the public, in the 'Motown' Woodbridge Farms neighborhood. In the new neighborhood at Rosa Parks Blvd., and Gd. River,
    on the other side of Woodbridge. Why do I, and so many of my neighbors, who
    have invested many years, and much money, in our homes in these neighborhoods, have to endure even MORE low-income housing being built
    all around our communities. Is this just some 'Grand Experiment', or are we being
    tested, like Job? With our property values continuing to decline because of the
    economical crisis...no help coming OUR WAY, regarding breaks in OUR
    Mortgage difficulties, leaving many buyers stranded with no foreseeable solutions.
    Or is this some sort of punishment for our diligence as caring, responsible,
    fine stewards of our neighborhoods, and a sort of 'Jealous Payback' is being
    dolled out to us, so we will be inundated with crime, and litter, and hobo's, and
    alcoholic loafers/ ne'er-do-wells. Look at Indian Village. Completely surrounded by lower-income neighborhoods, and 'Attacked'...constantly by idiots and blight.
    Low-income housing, and it's butt-ugly architecture, will be the ruination of Detroit.

NorthEndere Guest

Wow...someone's got issues to say the very least.

While I cannot speak specifically for Detroit but the term low income is very broad.

In other cities low income would include teachers,waitresses,waiters,young families starting out in life,students and even first tier police officers to name a few,you cannot deny those members of society their rights also as they are a part of.

As cities and areas are "rebuilt" the housing prices rise forcing those mentioned above out, as they are a crucial part and supply a need just as non low income residents there are certain large incentives involved when funding projects that require a certain percentage of low income units for x amount of years.

Just because somebody makes less money then another it does not make them any less of a human or citizen, problems with certain "low income" areas usually boils down to property owners not doing their part when renting those units out so in theory one should really take issues up with those specific contributors.

Back on topic I agree with what many have posted as they fill a broad range of community needs and shows that there are ways of reusing what is considered community assets in the best interest of all verses bulldozing the city.

The term low income in Detroit means people on Section 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    The term low income in Detroit means people on Section 8.
    Exactly. In a city like Detroit, what you see in the housing market is subtle social engineering -- shutting out certain groups by refusing to rent below a certain price point. For instance, Studio One apartments can't be too affordable or it will attract poor people who are perceived to have destroyed the city. Even if they're pricing poor students or young professionals out, they'll risk that to preserve the complex.

The townhomes at Woodbridge Estates, when first built, was advertised to a different income demographic than the people who ended up living there. When the middle class didn't bite, the developer did what they had to do.

Detroit isn't NYC or Chicago. You don't have poor young college grads willing to live 4-6 to an apartment or house to be here. You do have tens of thousands of people with drug addiction, alcoholism, severe mental or emotional problems, lots of stress and anxiety, paranoiacs, many of whom have seen things and lived through situations analogous to people in war zones. Middle class families may be sympathetic, but they don't want to live next door to people like these.

My goodness, the optimism on this thread is staggering. It's no wonder Detroit is a radiant beam of sunshine in the universe.

Here's a thought: maybe the armchair developers could resume practicing their own professions instead of telling every would-be developer that he can't make money in Detroit. What kind of message are you sending? Developers know their market, they crunch the numbers, and they conduct the due diligence. I suppose someone who merely finds a building like Cass Tech to be "outdated" and an "eyesore" has a more credible opinion, though, right?

Oh gee, the proposal depends on providing housing for people on Section 8--fuck those people. This isn't Chicago or New York--call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE! Better to tear the building down and let weeds grow in perpetuity.

This isn't just the posters on this thread--it's the DPS and the City of Detroit too. For too long, there has been an enormous amount of local government intervention in the real estate market--doing little more than picking winners and losers at great public expense. If this guy can make a go of redeveloping Cass Tech--LET HIM. DPS would get revenue, the building gets saved, people get homes, the developer makes a buck, and the City collects badly-needed property taxes. Win Win Win Win Win. Is that so wrong?

I remember the last time a project like this was proposed. I think it was called the "Book-Cadillac" or something like that. Ferchill sure lost his asshole on that one, didn't he? They should just tear that old obsolete eyesore down already. Nobody would ever buy a condo or stay in a room in that place! What do they think this is--New York???

But if I'm reading correctly, but DPS and the brain trust on this forum would rather SPEND millions of dollars for another empty lot. Just build that hockey arena and HOPE "something" happens there, right??? How's that worked in the past 15 years?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-29-11 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Detroit isn't NYC or Chicago. You don't have poor young college grads willing to live 4-6 to an apartment or house to be here. You do have tens of thousands of people with drug addiction, alcoholism, severe mental or emotional problems, lots of stress and anxiety, paranoiacs, many of whom have seen things and lived through situations analogous to people in war zones. Middle class families may be sympathetic, but they don't want to live next door to people like these.
    From the looks of it, you don't have many young college grads willing to live in Detroit period. So maybe it's time to pay attention to what makes New York and Chicago work...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    From the looks of it, you don't have many young college grads willing to live in Detroit period. So maybe it's time to pay attention to what makes New York and Chicago work...
    Well for one, young college grads in New York and Chicago aren't required to purchase a $250,000 3-bedroom home in the suburbs in order to have a place to live.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Well for one, young college grads in New York and Chicago aren't required to purchase a $250,000 3-bedroom home in the suburbs in order to have a place to live.
    Wow! That's four times what my 3-bedroom home in the suburbs is worth!

Nor sink several thousand dollars a year into a car in order to have any type of quality of life. I totally understand the differences between what makes New York and Chicago work and not Detroit.

Fine. Build it and they will come. Whatever.

And Ghettopalmetto, those of us who are pointing about historic issues in metro Detroit housing patterns don't necessarily want to see CT as another parking lot. I'm totally offended by that assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Fine. Build it and they will come. Whatever.
    Well, I know that someone made a proposal and put up $20,000 in earnest money. This person is willing to take a risk, and make in investment in Detroit. You're so much as telling this guy that he's full of shit--"just because". Do you really want to be in the position of discouraging private investment in Detroit?

And Ghettopalmetto, those of us who are pointing about historic issues in metro Detroit housing patterns don't necessarily want to see CT as another parking lot. I'm totally offended by that assertion.
    History is just that--history. Once you bulldoze it, it's gone. How's that for history? This isn't the 1920s, or even the 1940s. If you don't change anything about the current paradigm, Detroit can only be expected to continue on its current trajectory.

Bulldoze, Wait, and Repeat is just more of the same crap we've seen over and over again. I have yet to see another city in the United States that spends as much money on demolition as Detroit does. Not Chicago, not Philadelphia, not Cleveland, not Baltimore. It. Doesn't. Work. And Detroit can't afford it.

The real enemy to progress is the entrenched political structure--both in the city government, the alphabet soups, and in this case, the Detroit Public Schools. If you keep rolling over for these assholes who have their heads up their behinds, you're just contributing to the problem.

Everyone talks about the "lack of demand" in Detroit. What kind of demand are you going to create once downtown is pulverized into an endless moonscape of rubble?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There are a whole host of things that make New York and Chicago work, but Detroit isn't even willing to consider the reasons. The #1 thing we can do to fix Detroit is to find a way to help the adults who already live in the city.

You can't fix Detroit neighborhoods if large numbers of the adult population is down and out. You can't fix the schools if the majority of parents and grandparents can't provide a stable home environment. You know, the way that poor people who can barely take care of themselves are blamed for the demise of an industrial behemoth is sickening. Yet the Greatest Generation figured out how to deal with unemployment -- we're too busy worshipping technology and multinational corporations.

No one, anywhere has a solution for how to reintegrate the Detroit poor back into society. Adult education? Parenting classes? Jobs programs? Not at a time when we're cutting away any notion of "the public good" -- public education, public schools, public libraries, public television. No, the attitude of Americans towards their poor [[never that wonderful) is now "F--- you." I guess if you want Detroit to gentrify, do what NYC and DC did -- find a way to displace the poor.

When we make everything in Detroit into "lofts and condos," where the hell are the masses of Detroiters supposed to go?

I support CT's redevelopment, but I'm so tired of high-end this and luxury that before we have the population to support it. What can the surrounding neighborhood actually use now?

Well, I know that someone made a proposal and put up $20,000 in earnest money. This person is willing to take a risk, and make in investment in Detroit. You're so much as telling this guy that he's full of shit--"just because". Do you really want to be in the position of discouraging private investment in Detroit?

History is just that--history. Once you bulldoze it, it's gone. How's that for history? This isn't the 1920s, or even the 1940s. If you don't change anything about the current paradigm, Detroit can only be expected to continue on its current trajectory.

Bulldoze, Wait, and Repeat is just more of the same crap we've seen over and over again. I have yet to see another city in the United States that spends as much money on demolition as Detroit does. Not Chicago, not Philadelphia, not Cleveland, not Baltimore. It. Doesn't. Work. And Detroit can't afford it.

The real enemy to progress is the entrenched political structure--both in the city government, the alphabet soups, and in this case, the Detroit Public Schools. If you keep rolling over for these assholes who have their heads up their behinds, you're just contributing to the problem.

Everyone talks about the "lack of demand" in Detroit. What kind of demand are you going to create once downtown is pulverized into an endless moonscape of rubble?
    Are you kidding me? OK, I'm about to pop off. I AM NOT FOR DEMOLITION OF CASS TECH OR ANY OF OUR HISTORIC STRUCTURES.

I am moving back to Detroit on May 1. I am a fourth generation Detroit, a Detroit Public Schools product, and CHOSE to live and work in this city to the detriment of my own career, health, and long term relationship prospects. Are you kidding me about being part of the problem? Are you freaking kidding me about rolling over? Have you read ANYTHING I've posted about Cass Tech over the past two years? Apparently not.

Look. I am not the enemy. There are plenty of other posters that are all about "tear that schitt down." I am not and have never been one of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast