Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default I've had it with Slows!

Not really but... The last two times I went there to eat, last Friday the most recent, the place was jammed and the wait way too long for my appetite. So, regrettably, I went elsewhere. What Recession?? That place amazes me -- not in the best neighborhood, no parking, in the middle of an economic downturn and I can't get in.

Congrats to Slows and whatever you have I wish you could bottle it and serve it to the Southeast Michigan and Southern Ontario economy.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-17-09 at 02:59 PM.

lol good one Lowell.....

Lowell, I couldn't agree more.

Was just there for lunch Saturday afternoon, and there was a line waiting for tables, even at 2pm!!

The Cooley brothers must have some real potent secret recipe in what they serve.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Lowell, I couldn't agree more.

Was just there for lunch Saturday afternoon, and there was a line waiting for tables, even at 2pm!!

The Cooley brothers must have some real potent secret recipe in what they serve.

Crack maybe?

Not crack, just a straight up good product in a enviorment that pleases most people. It always shocks me how other restaurants and bars in the area don't see this and take a step up to the plate. I know this is just a personal opinion, but it's obvious that others agree.

IMHO [[and after my first career = 25 years working in the restaurant business) they do food very well, and although the service can be, kindly, very unprofessional at times, overall it's a great spot. It's hard to teach people how to wait tables, even in a casual service restaurant, when their only dining experience while growing up involved a drive thru window and microwaved whatever. I ignore the service glitches and continue to crave the pork.

Stosh Guest

I'm always amazed that the Kansas City's [[among others) of the nation get credit for BBQ, and Detroit's BBQ chefs get no credit at all. There's been great barbecue here for years, from the half-barrel church cookers selling ribs, to the commercial enterprises like Slow's. Anyone know why? Maybe KC just needs something to hang their hat on...

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I'm always amazed that the Kansas City's [[among others) of the nation get credit for BBQ, and Detroit's BBQ chefs get no credit at all. There's been great barbecue here for years, from the half-barrel church cookers selling ribs, to the commercial enterprises like Slow's. Anyone know why? Maybe KC just needs something to hang their hat on...
    Probably because we buy our barbecue sauce with labels from KC barbecues

dexterferry Guest

good food and fair prices in a pleasing atmosphere. not rocket science.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Probably because we buy our barbecue sauce with labels from KC barbecues
    Yes, I suppose that's true for some. But does everyone do this? Does Slow's? Did Young's [[and others) do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Yes, I suppose that's true for some. But does everyone do this? Does Slow's? Did Young's [[and others) do this?
    I just mean your run of the mill backyard and kettle barbecuers. I'm sure most restaurants have their own recipes.
    I think the real difference between Detroit and KC, Texas, Georgia and South Carolina is that each one has its own distinct style of barbecue while we have either adapted one of theirs or a conglomeration of all their styles. If you look at a menu here, you're likely to see 'Texas-style Barbecue Brisket' or 'South Carolina pulled pork'.

Default Slows

I had lunch for the first time at Slow's last Friday....the place was packed...but we were seated within 5 minutes...I will agree that our server made a few mistakes...but this was not Seldom Blues or the Whitney...I will say that the food I had made up for what was lacking is service...I will definately be going back there often....

The only things that sucks about the place is the lack of parking and the wait.

It's awesome to see that a restaurant with quality product is doing so well, even in the current economic situation in Detroit. If you ask me, it speaks volumes that there may be an opportunity for similar restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I just mean your run of the mill backyard and kettle barbecuers. I'm sure most restaurants have their own recipes.
    I think the real difference between Detroit and KC, Texas, Georgia and South Carolina is that each one has its own distinct style of barbecue while we have either adapted one of theirs or a conglomeration of all their styles. If you look at a menu here, you're likely to see 'Texas-style Barbecue Brisket' or 'South Carolina pulled pork'.
    South Carolina actually has four distinct styles of barbecue. Most of the country, outside the Southeast, uses the ketchup-based "Kansas City" style. It seems, though, that most people consider ribs to be "barbecue". Proper use of the term "barbecue" refers strictly to pulled pork. There's a whole diatribe on this terminology at http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

And Texas?-- they've got the wrong critter entirely.

I love Slow's. Totally worth the wait! I realize that people have schedules to keep and can't afford the time to wait for an hour to be seated - but we have never waited more than 10 minutes. Too bad that they couldn't buy the old Mercury Bar across the street and turn it into A Little Bit Slow - serving only sandwiches, sides and no bar. That would would free up some room in the Main Slow's for the folks that wanted drinks and dinner. If I could only get the recipe for the apple flavored sauce...I could eat that stuff with a spoon.....

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...the wait way too long for my appetite...
    If it weren't, they'd have called it Fasts!

lol Yeah I know ri....

From what I've heard, you WOULD read the Slow's name on bottled versions of their sauces, if it weren't for some enterprising asshole quick to register the brand after he read a New York Times article on them. He was from Missouri or Oklahoma or something in the middle of the country.

They make their own stuff, and cook their meats all night...old school. The wait is part of the schtick for some folk...it MUST be worth it...so newbies wait, too. It ain't THAT hard, they've got an impressive choice of beers and wines...time flies when you're having, doncha know.

At this joint? It has been worth it, every time.

After that, there can be only geometric growth...like the old Breck shampoo commercials...and they'll tell two people, and so on, and so on. So, even IF they are on their game and increase their efficiency to the maximum, there is a guaranteed delay.

Drink up, enjoy. Always some of the best people-watching in the area, too.

Give me a Reason.

LodgeDodger Guest

I'll have to take betterhalf to Slow's. I've never heard a bad thing about the place. Better yet, I'll send him alone and get a Schwarma at the Bucharest Grill. I dislike anything with barbecue sauce. I don't like pork, either.

20. Default

There are plenty of non-pork, non-BBQ sauce choices. Try the cajin style catfish with the roulade. Everyone raves about the mac and cheese side too.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-17-09 at 10:59 PM.

Oh, they have more than just pork...and their sauces are quite unique.

Still worth the wait, even for vegetarians.

gravitymachine Guest

there vegetarian menu entries gan be vegan-ised as well, the genius without coleslaw and the hoppin' jack without cheese.

slows rules. it would cool if they could spin off some of their success into a second location to alleviate some of the wait times, but then, would it have the exclusivity and authenticity? and obviously in shittier than usual times in detroit, they are in a good spot having a lean business with a more than ample customer base
    Last edited by gravitymachine; May-18-09 at 07:39 AM.

I always try to open the wrong door upon entering Slows, and I've been there a million times. I'll get it right one of these days. Charles Bronson salad with a side off mac/cheese, followed by Bookers bourbon on the rocks.

As stupid as this may sound could a restaurant really add addicting drugs to their food without us knowing to keep people coming back??? Slows isn't one of my addicted-to places but theres a couple others I can think of...Lafayette, Chic-Fil-A...

Whatever happened to the carry out only that they were going to open on Cass in midtown? I would love for this to still be happening.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast