Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Warren City Council Redistricting

So, Warren has unveiled their plans for City Council districts, as required by a vote of the citizens. The citizens group that got this on the ballot was concerned that all the City Council members were from North of 696. Anything in this clever North-South striped districting that would avoid that?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...ty-population-
    Last edited by East Detroit; March-26-11 at 01:08 PM.

This still does not properly represent the minority population. Ever single district still has areas north of 696. Very clever indeed....

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    This still does not properly represent the minority population. Ever single district still has areas north of 696. Very clever indeed....
    And every single district still has areas south of 696.

I'd like to see the density distributions.

I'd also like to know how one "minority district" would make any difference. Really couldn't make two. Warren is still over 70 percent white, 14 percent black. Assuming by minority you mean every body not white. And, last time I checked, the vast majority of housing in Warren north of 696 didn't exactly look like Troy or even Sterling Heights.

NorthEndere Guest

Less about ethnicity, simply looking at the map, it's almost as if they actively tried to dilute historical neighborhood representation in general. Why not try the districts east-west, with two central districts, or do it in quadrants? Warren was generally developed south to north and in quadrants, right? The way this is drawn, it bits better funded candidates in the north, again candidates in the south that are going to have to work twice as hard.

BTW, what do folks think about the long-term existence of Center Line as ann independent community? I mean, it could possibly hold unto its self-determination, forever, but unlike a lot of enclaves, it seems to be more like the city around it than others.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-26-11 at 09:57 PM.