Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gov closes MI State Police Detroit Post

There is something to be said for the presence of a police station in a neighborhood. Knowing there is a safe haven around the corner is a powerful thing

Why would the Michigan State Police need a post in any sizable city? The state troopers should be based in the boonies, not some 'hood. Home rule thing.

Why should the MSP even exist? County Sheriff's departments do most of the traffic enforcement anyway. I'd take a long, hard look at the whole organization if I were the King.

That.....from a retired police officer. Me.

I did not quite understand that myself ,most other states the State police cover only the state roads and highways.

Or was their presence expanded to help take some of the pressure off of Detroit city police ?

The MSP where assigned to Detroit in the late 70's when Coleman Young dismantled the Detroit Police Motor division, which handled the Detroit freeways. A deal was worked out with the city to have MSP patrol our freeways.

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    The MSP where assigned to Detroit in the late 70's when Coleman Young dismantled the Detroit Police Motor division, which handled the Detroit freeways. A deal was worked out with the city to have MSP patrol our freeways.
    haha i always wondered why 20+ over the posted limit was the norm, and snowmobiling isn't out of the question

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Why should the MSP even exist? County Sheriff's departments do most of the traffic enforcement anyway. I'd take a long, hard look at the whole organization if I were the King.

That.....from a retired police officer. Me.

Interesting point. I live near the Ypsi MSP post that is closing. However, I never see them patrolling I-94 in that area, or patrolling that area at all for that matter, although there are always plenty of patrol cars at the post. I drive I-94 between Detroit and Dexter nearly every day and might see MSP twice a month. I see the Ann Arbor cops a lot more often. I'm not sure what it is MSP does or is supposed to do.

Back in the mid 80s I did a ride along with a state cop one day [[this was in the Jackson area) to write an article for the school paper. We spent 90% of the day looking for speeders, and the only non-traffic related call was in a rural area and was about a horse that might have been taken by a neighbor.

I had heard years ago that MSP [[Detroit post) officers were paid "hazardous action pay" because they had to patrol in Detroit proper. Ray, do you know if this is correct information?

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    I had heard years ago that MSP [[Detroit post) officers were paid "hazardous action pay" because they had to patrol in Detroit proper. Ray, do you know if this is correct information?
    I've heard rumors to that effect, but don't know it for a fact.

They look sparkling in their uniforms, I'll admit. But that reminds me of Donald Sutherland's line in "The Dirty Dozen" when he plays the role of a general inspecting troops: "Very pretty, Colonel, very pretty. But can they fight?"

I will say something in defense of Michigan State Troopers: I don't see many of them over weight, something that seems common in many PDs. Are their any law enforcement agencies that have physical fitness requirements?

For hiring, yes. But once hired and confirmed, ain't no way you can continue to enforce physical standards, largely due to union contracts.

Bear in mind that policing is a young person's profession. That's why the retirement ages kick in so seeming early. How many 55-year old people can catch an 18 year old mugger, even if his pants are dragging down around his ankles?

I had heard years ago that MSP [[Detroit post) officers were paid
    "hazardous action pay" because they had to patrol in Detroit proper. Ray, do you know if this is correct information?
    The only incentive I ever heard of was 2 years seniority for every year assigned to the Detroit post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Why should the MSP even exist?
    For when you need something like this:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110316/METRO01/103160365/1410/METRO01/State-Police-search-Romulus-department--chief%E2%80%99s-home

And, as others have pointed out, to patrol the highways in unincorporated areas.

For hiring, yes. But once hired and confirmed, ain't no way you can continue to enforce physical standards, largely due to union contracts.

Bear in mind that policing is a young person's profession. That's why the retirement ages kick in so seeming early. How many 55-year old people can catch an 18 year old mugger, even if his pants are dragging down around his ankles?
    Ray, can you please share the bolded with those who are against early retirement for public sector workers? I've always understood why firemen, police officers, and teachers generally can begin retiring at age 55. Maybe not for people with office jobs [[including yours truly), but chasing criminals, fires, and hormonal adolescents shouldn't be required for the elderly.

I'm sure there are plenty of sixtysomethings in good health who can outrun me. But one of the groups that is most nervous about the changes whom I've spoken to are people in their 50s with health conditions.

Twenty-five or thirty years of police work burns you out pretty soon. Shift work, lousy eating habits, family problems....I could go on, but you get the idea. Same with the military, although some old generals seem to hang around forever.

Anyway, the 25 year retirement package was one of the things that appealed to me when I went into the profession. And I didn't stay one day longer, thank you.

I know of one DPD patrolman who stayed on the job until he was seventy. But for the last twenty years all he did was drive patrol cars to the garage for oil changes and then to the car wash. One time he came out of police headquarters after running an errand and couldn't find his car. He made a stolen car report. The car was found in the garage of the 2nd precinct. He forgot that he had hitched a ride downtown.

True story.