Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Downtown Hoedown 2009

Is anyone doing anything interesting tonight or tomorrow for the Hoedown?

I took a ride down there to catch Willie Nelson at the last minute but was having too much fun watching the pseudo rednecks be rednecks. We just sat on Jefferson watching the ladies in their classy lassies and the dudes turn up the dialect on the hillbilly yelling YHOOO HOOO. I noticed the brothers were doing brisk sales in cheap cowboy hats on the corners.

I just missed Willie by a minute but had a good time either way, probably because whiskey river took my mind.

Didn't know you were back Django

My family went just for Willie Nelson, we got there at 9:00, got a prime parking spot 3 spaces from Jefferson on Woodward, saw the show and left. Anyone surprised that Kid Rock was a special guest? I wasn't!

Friday and Saturday were the normal 'weird' HoeDown nights, most of the fans were here under duress in some way...seems they barely tolerate their annual trek into the city. [[as opposed to those who travel sometimes from half a world away gleefully to experience the DEMF)

Oddly, the city folk step it up and prepare for them, too. There was more aggression in the street people a day AHEAD of the influx of country music fans...as one nearby bartender put it, "Bud Light MANIA!" Everyone was ready for the friction-fest.

There were a quick dozen fights near Jefferson and Larned Friday, about double that Saturday...as the beer saturation increased. Somehow nobody wanted sandwiches...we had maybe twenty paying customers over two days, even our regulars must've fled.

Then Sunday it was family day...and nearly everyone who came down to see Willie were cool to the nth degree, diametrically opposite the other two nights.

Was busier than any other Sunday on record...

DetroitDad Guest

Gannon,

I'm thinking that this year's DEMF could have a lower turnout with the economy and Swine Flu issues being the way they have been.

In the past, we regularly attended the Greektown Art Fairs, that coincided with the Hoedown. It was a real spectator sport, watching the Bud Light fueled pseudo rednecks and their embarrassing behavior. A friend who worked at Receiving Hospital told us there were always stitches to be applied when the Hoedown happened!
    We would walk over to the river for a while, then park ourselves at the Music Menu, for a different style of music and music folk.
    Does anyone else miss the Fair and the Menu?