Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Detroit Concoction, tponetom

First my Auto Insurance, then Home-Owners insurance then 911 Fire department, and then the reincarnation of my Aunt Libby. Oh! that's a typo. It was something about Libya, or whatever.
    Cease and desist!
    A more kind and gentle thought just crossed my mind. A re-run if you don't mind.

REAL 100% RYE WHISKEY. With a Detroit Connection.
    On the subject of alcoholic drinks:
    After 50 odd years of Irish Whiskey and Scotch, I finally discovered real, 100%, Rye Whiskey. Old Overholt! 4 years old and made in Kentucky.
    The following, from the Internet is to good to pass up:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/whiskey/rye.htm
    Old Overholt:
    Made by Fortune Brands. If you are ready to grow beyond Bourbon, let Old Overholt be your first step. 4 years old, 80°. Smooth, perhaps a bit light. A drink for the mature--for whom the excitement of life has passed yet the best is still to come. Can this and Gentleman Jack be on the same shelf? A drink of memory--of fields and stars, of bread and the bread-of-life. The sky is free, but the earth lives. The earth brings all our needs, but the sky contains our dreams. Ultimately earth cannot not prevent our desires from going where we cannot walk. Old Overholt is of the earth, yet from there it leads my spirit far away.
    · Suggest reading: Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard .
    My notes: [[I just love that ‘A drink for the mature,’ part.)
    Now, the story: [[Everybody loves a story, I hope.)
    Julie is our next door neighbor. She is also our ‘den motherself appointed. She will be 80 years old in November. I will be 79 and Peggy will be 78 and yes, we will have a celebration. Julie is Polish and Peggy is Hungarian and I am Irish. Oh, the dances we do!
    Here is some background on our association. For the last 12 years Julie has been bringing
    us homemade [[everything) cookies, cakes, pies, confectionary concoctions that boggle the imagination and a myriad of other incredible delicacies that I can no longer inventory. She also sometimes, brings liquid imbibables. [[I think I just created a new word)
    I will cut to the chase. No, on second thought I will tarry a bit.
    A few weeks ago, Julie came knocking and I screamed through the closed door, words to the effect that we would no longer humor or accept her horrific, calory loaded concoctions. She replied, "Shut up and open the door."
    I set aside my resolve and coalesced. I opened the door. She had a bottle in her hands.
    She asked, "Have you ever had Rock and Rye?"\
    Peggy and I agreed that, yes, we have had Rock and Rye. How could any "dyed in the wool’ old time Detroiter ever forget Faygo’s Rock and Rye. [[As promised in the title of this thread, ‘The Detroit connection.’)
    We all sat down and sampled Julie’s home made Rock and Rye
    And then, Oh my goodness! Talk about revelations, epiphanies! This kind of Rock and Rye, we have never had.
    Now I have to digress while the thought is still recoverable in my mind. Do any of you younger people recall a stage play/movie, entitled, Arsenic and Old Lace? If not, it is a story of two old ladies conspiring to commit murder on certain gentlemen.
    As I sipped on that irresistible, very agreeable mixture, I had a fleeting thought that perhaps my wife conspired with our neighbor to finally get rid of me in a most pleasant manner.
    Paranoid conjecture or not, I rationalized that this was not a bad way to go.
    Julie gave us the ingredients of her Rock and Rye drink which included a watered down version of Rye whiskey. So that piqued my curiosity. My INTERNET searching brought out a wealth of information about real 100% Rye whiskey.
    Fortunately, I found a retail source in Tucson that carries any and all forms of liquid pleasures. I found a bottle of Old Overholt. 750 mg. $ 12.99.
    We invited Julie over for our afternoon ‘Happy Hour," septuagenarian style. I gave each of us a small shot of O. O. on ice. Our reactions were mixed. They follow.
    I was delighted with the taste. I thought of how the first caveman felt when he discovered fire,,, in his belly.
    Peggy said it tasted like Hog pee.
    Julie said, "Well, I don’t think it is that good but if you wanted to get rid of a tattoo???
    Later, we found some rock candy and some orange slices and made our own very palatable version of "Rock and Rye."
    And Pig jumped over the fence and we all got home that night.
    P. S. An excerpt from the above mentioned web site:
    Rye whiskey is often confused with Canadian whisky. Most Canadian whisky may have been at one time majority rye whiskey, but this is not so today. Like corn, rye whiskeys can be blended with non-whiskey neutral spirits, or can be the 100% real thing. Some Canadian whiskies are blended, others are not.†† American straight rye is at least 100% whiskey, with rye making up at least 51% of the mash grains [[usually corn and barley make up the rest). Since I have rediscovered straight rye whiskey distilled in the States, I do not use Canadian varieties any more, even as mixers. Since whiskeys almost never list ingredients I do not know which Canadian blends currently contain rye whiskey, although a reader assured me that Alberta Premium really is rye.
    Regard the above as a prayer of sorts. Did it take your mind off of some of the sad thoughts you may have been carrying around?

I might give that rye a try but at only $13 at fifth it has to be on the border of hard liquor hog piss. There are few secrets in liquors and one gets pretty much what they pay for -- up to the $30 range which in the 90% quality range. After that ones pays $10 more for next 1% improvement, $20 for the next 1%...

I, a non-drinker, am still smiling all over after reading this story

My mother's side of the family is from N.E. PA and my grandmother and great-grandmother always had a big old jar of Rock 'n Rye around. It was for medecinal purposes of course. Us kids would get a couple of tea spoons full before bed if we had a cold or flu. Don't know if cured anything, but it certainly sent us right to sleep.

Lowell,
    Liquor, on ‘SALE‘, is cheap in AZ. This week Jameson is on sale for $ 15.99 for a fifth.
    Two weeks ago, Walgreens had a sale on ‘House of Stuart’ scotch, 1.75 liters, for $ 9.99. I bought two bottles and got a coupon from H. of S. that was worth $ 5.00, if you bought two bottles. Net cost for two bottles was $ 15.00.
    Of course there is always a ’catch’ of sorts.
    In my above post I mentioned paying my annual License Plate fee for my one year old, mini-van. $ 8.00 for the registration and $ 490.00for the License Plate. Yes, you read it right.
    Next year it will only be $ 405.00.