Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Pawn

Default Hardcore Pawn

With the thread on Detriot 1-8-7 getting over 600 responses, I'm surprised no one has commented about the "Hardcore Pawn" show on TruTV. I'm not sure where that pawn shop is located, but the old store was on Michigan Avenue for years.

Frankly, the couple of shows I've caught paint a pretty bleak picture of Detroit, based on the 'customers'.

they're all pre-cast, its on the michigan film office's website

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    With the thread on Detriot 1-8-7 getting over 600 responses, I'm surprised no one has commented about the "Hardcore Pawn" show on TruTV. I'm not sure where that pawn shop is located, but the old store was on Michigan Avenue for years.

Frankly, the couple of shows I've caught paint a pretty bleak picture of Detroit, based on the 'customers'.
    Ray, say it with me. There is no such thing as reality television. Reality TV is fiction and Hardcore Pawn is phonier than a $3 dollar bill. For the record, American Jewelry and Loan is located on Greenfield at the Lodge. The location used to be a bowling alley connected to the Crystal House motel. [[Anyone remember the Crystal House?) The Michigan Ave. location had to be when I was a kid because I remember them being located at Green 8 Shopping Center before they moved. Back to Hardcore Pawn, I have been a customer of AJ&L over the years and I have never, repeat never seen anyone act a fool. Now, I sure some folks have probably act up but the shit they do on that show is all for show.

Thanks R & R, these shows are just that bad, really bad shows. Embarassing but I have pawned a few things back in the day. No drama whatsoever.
    Last edited by sumas; March-23-11 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

I like the show, fact or not :P

The show is embarrassing...period.

This thread lacks links.

American Jewelry is where I found some of the items that were taken from my home last year. They were nothing but nice, helpful and worked with the St Clair Shores Police Department. I was in there several times getting things in order and NEVER saw any of those whackadoodle customers. Nothing even close to what you see on TV happened while I was there! [[Maybe a few questionable things going on in the parking lot but not inside! )

I've seen a couple of episodes, and it seems that every other customer threatens to shoot up the store.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    I've seen a couple of episodes, and it seems that every other customer threatens to shoot up the store.
    Go to any pawn shop in Metro Detroit. The workers are always packin'

Actually I noticed a few scenes where the "hellraisers" were miked. So the show is definately just a 2011 version of wrestling [[prepackaged entertainment).

On the other hand, I've been there a couple times and the line was way longer than I would have ever guessed, prior to going in. The prices on the merchandise were also WAAAYYY high for what one would expect to pay for used goods at a pawn shop. That being said no one was in there, acting ignorant.

All in all, a mix of truth and fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Actually I noticed a few scenes where the "hellraisers" were miked. So the show is definately just a 2011 version of wrestling [[prepackaged entertainment).

On the other hand, I've been there a couple times and the line was way longer than I would have ever guessed, prior to going in. The prices on the merchandise were also WAAAYYY high for what one would expect to pay for used goods at a pawn shop. That being said no one was in there, acting ignorant.

All in all, a mix of truth and fiction.
    Yea, I saw a few of the Microphones taped to the peoples backs, as security was dragging the people out of the pawn shop for causing a disturbance.

I like the fact that this show is based in Detroit, but im really embarrased that this show is reinforcing the negative images that people associate with Detroit.

Other than that, the father who is the owner seems like a really cool person. I am however tired of seeing the sister and brother fight every week over who is in control of the shop.

Now on the other hand, Pawn Stars in Vegas has their issues also. I like the old man, Rick, Big Haus and Chumley, eventhough their is some differences it adds to the show. I just don't like the fact that evertime someone brings in something they need to call in an expert. They been in the business long enough, they should know what they are doing.

"Hardcore" is really late to the show. I don't expect it to go much further. Very "forced", phony and unoriginal.

bartock Guest

Something of a threadjack, but this is one of the more "authentic" places in town. Fred's Unique Furniture in Eastpointe:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,21.3,,0,11.75

It isn't a pawn shop...but it is.

Craziest place I've ever been, in a good way. Huge, better stuff, according to the owner, but not much better, IMO) some fairly wild looking sellers and buyers, but no open brandishing of guns or bravado. It is on 8 Mile, in Eastpointe. The owner...and I'm not sure if his name is Fred, told me that the people that do Hardcore Pawn and the people from 1-8-7 both approached him about doing a show there and doing an episode there, respectfully. He said he turned them down..."I don't want them to know what I do here." If you are in the area, stop by this place for an experience. There are even good deals.

Whackadoodle??

Whackadoodle...According to the Urban Dictionary...
    A person who is acting insane, bizarre or highly unusual or the result of when a person with mental illness decides they are 'better' and goes off their meds.

I watched it a couple of times. Both times, after it was over I felt like I should hop in the shower. Talk about a grease ball.

I just want to get a hold of a pair of scissors!!

I was horrified and yet I couldn't turn away.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Ray, say it with me. There is no such thing as reality television. Reality TV is fiction and Hardcore Pawn is phonier than a $3 dollar bill. For the record, American Jewelry and Loan is located on Greenfield at the Lodge. The location used to be a bowling alley connected to the Crystal House motel. [[Anyone remember the Crystal House?) The Michigan Ave. location had to be when I was a kid because I remember them being located at Green 8 Shopping Center before they moved. Back to Hardcore Pawn, I have been a customer of AJ&L over the years and I have never, repeat never seen anyone act a fool. Now, I sure some folks have probably act up but the shit they do on that show is all for show.
    SAY THAT SH*T R&RBOB....I have always said all reality shows are scripted because THEY ARE!!!

Pawn Stars, where they take an Antique's Road Show approach and attempt to educate the viewer on the items being pawned, is a far superior show. The comparison made between HP to the WWF is accurate. The focus on Hardcore Pawn is the people who pawn rather then the items them selves, plus the worn out sibling drama of the owner's kids. I did pawn some gold there after X mas and was given a much more fair a price and found the staff at American Jewelry to be way more professional then the other three shops I went to that day. It's a shame the show's producers don't run with that professionalism instead.

I wonder if Big Mac will be on the sales staff or there to bust someone's balls ?

Darren McCarty Joins 'Hardcore Pawn' Store

DETROIT — Former Detroit Red Wings enforcer Darren McCarty has joined the team at American Jewelry and Loan, the store featured on the TV show "Hardcore Pawn."
    McCarty will work in the family-owned business to learn the pawn store trade.
    “Darren came in with a buddy to check out the store awhile back, and I could see his eyes light up as we talked about the business. When he said he was interested in learning more, we took him up on it,” said Seth Gold, manager of American Jewelry and Loan, in a news release Thursday.
    Gold said the family is excited to make McCarty the latest addition to their staff.
    "I’m learning from the Stevie Yzermans’ of the pawn business," McCarty said in the news release. "I guess you could call my first few weeks training camp! What better opportunity to start something fresh and to help the people of Detroit, too?”
    The store is at 20450 Greenfield Rd., Detroit, MI 48235.

McCarty figures he's "helping the people of Detroit"?

Threadjack - I like Storage Wars on A & E, although they make it look far too easy. I did hear a guy say on one episode that 80% of all buys are total busts. Anyone ever hear of or participated in these locker auctions in the Detroit area?

Let me say this again: The show is embarrassing to all Metro Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    McCarty figures he's "helping the people of Detroit"?

Threadjack - I like Storage Wars on A & E, although they make it look far too easy. I did hear a guy say on one episode that 80% of all buys are total busts. Anyone ever hear of or participated in these locker auctions in the Detroit area?

I've been to 100's [[Maybe even 1000's) of the storage auctions here Michigan and while I lived in Florida. Ten years ago you could make decent money buying and selling the units, but it's become much more competitive since the economy soured. The TV shows came out last Winter and it's now just downright ridiculous! Now the only way to make a decent profit is if you are very, very lucky or you operate a auction house or thrift store where you can eek out a profit on the mundane items that are unsaleable on Ebay and Craigslist and are in just about every unit.
    Average attendance at the sales 5 years ago was probably 10-20 people, and you had 2-5 serious bidders. Since the TV shows I have seen crowds of 150 people and more! It literally takes hours just waiting for everyone to walk past the door and spend their 20 seconds checking out the contents.
    You can find most the auctions in this area at Blairauction.com. There are a few other auctioneers in the Detroit area that do storage sales, but Blair's are the most professionally run and he does a very good job keeping to the posted schedule.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-15-11 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast