Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit's future is all about green tech?

General Motors flagship car of the future the Volt!

Expectations presented to investors was 10,000 units sold for the fiscal year 2011.

They better pick it up man...they sold 281 of them in Feb.

Grim.

Yea 281 pieces wow, very sad.

Besides whats green about burning coal/garbage/ground up tires labeled "biomass" to charge up an electric car ? Makes no sense. There were electric cars 100 years ago, nobody wanted them then.

A fuel pincher ? Make mine a direct injected turbo diesel Ford Fiesta getting about 60 miles a a gallon.
    A eurotrash diesel assembled in Mexico with parts sourced from the entire globe and on sale in North America, Henry would be proud.

The claim is you burn less fossil fuel to power the electric vehicle than to power the vehicle with a fossil-fuel engine. The other thing of course is the pollution is located away from the vehicle, presumably in a less populated area.

Downtown_racine said:
    "Besides whats green about burning coal/garbage/ground up tires labeled "biomass" to charge up an electric car ? Makes no sense. There were electric cars 100 years ago, nobody wanted them then."

Hey Downtown, I feel ya, but...
    I want a Volt and can afford one. I just am put off about buying first-year tech of any sort. I would like the luxury of having at least one year's feedback on it - and maybe more.

I have a 30 x 16 sq foot photo voltaic array in my backyard that puts out 5Kw per hour. I sized it with the idea in mind that an electric car is in our future.

If you want to criticize, maybe look toward GM for single-handedly squashing the electric auto a decade ago. I drove an all electric RAV4 that is unbelievably powerful, fast, and green. Coulda been... but no.

As always, good luck, love, and best wishes to all who participate in this fantastic forum, no matter what your perspective - we all count.
    Last edited by bahbay; March-23-11 at 11:38 PM.

lilpup Guest

The Volt hasn't even had its nationwide rollout yet. It's only available in select markets but they have sold over 1,000 already.