Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southfield is a changing

I saw a link to Mayor Lawrence's response to a story from the AP, but I missed the story when it came out Feb 28. Here is the story:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41810267/ns/us_news-life/

Is this causing a domino effect throughout Metro Detroit? Are people in outer burbs complaining now that people from the inner burbs can afford to live there? I started a poll a while ago and I asked if you would want your child to attend the school[[s) that you attended. Looks like the answer is still "NO".

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    I saw a link to Mayor Lawrence's response to a story from the AP, but I missed the story when it came out Feb 28. Here is the story:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41810267/ns/us_news-life/

Is this causing a domino effect throughout Metro Detroit? Are people in outer burbs complaining now that people from the inner burbs can afford to live there? I started a poll a while ago and I asked if you would want your child to attend the school[[s) that you attended. Looks like the answer is still "NO".
    This was discussed on this thread

I have to admit that using the picture of a bottle of beer in a brown paper bag representing ghetto that the photographer could have placed there is so tacky and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    This was discussed on this thread

I have to admit that using the picture of a bottle of beer in a brown paper bag representing ghetto that the photographer could have placed there is so tacky and pathetic.
    A lot of people have speculated that it was strategically placed.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    A lot of people have speculated that it was strategically placed.
    If it was a bottle of Heineken, I could give the guy a break for the fake photo but looked like it could have been a Bud.

It's an excellent article. It focuses on issues many people don't want to discuss publicly - race, class and community. These problems are happening everywhere. I see it in my neighborhood. Condominiums nearby which were bought for lakefront/water access and investment property are now rented for the lowest amount just to have cash flow, notes and taxes paid. Low income, black and white renters and college students began showing up. Late night parties and street activity became more common. It requires constant supervision, work and communication - and you have to be a prick on occasion. Cops have to be called out and infractions documented. Hopefully, in the process, you don't get in the middle of a scrum. So far, we've been pretty successful. Some units have been bought and foreclosed, some are just rented. It seems, at least in our case, most of those who are able to keep their heads above water, and wish to live in a better community have stepped up. This is only a condominium community, a rather large one, though part of a larger township, it's not as big and as diverse as Southfield.

[QUOTE=R8RBOB;232833]This was discussed on this thread [QUOTE]

Thanks. I did a search for Southfield and nothing came up...

This is what happens when you only invest in new construction over city infrastructure, and more on prisons than on education. Your state's young people flee, and the population drops. And everyone flees the city. There are more than enough vacant houses for us to shelter our homeless in SE Michigan now. And people will continue to flee outward defying all logic...and clinging onto the "dream" sold to them by politicians and corporations.

It's funny that the complaints are things like "talking in the street at night". In many major cities, 24hr street life is seen as a plus. But in pre-planned communities for an idealized middle class which no longer exists, people out at night is seen as a terrible "ghetto" thing...
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; March-23-11 at 02:26 PM.

Southfield became 63% black middle class community because the organized Jewish communities. They are moving to more greener wider open spaces and away from urban mess. Like JJaba said, "Every 25 years an organized Jewish communities will move to one place or another for better open spaces, better public services or when their neighboring synagogue either closed down to move to another area." [[ After all Jews have to observe their biblical law of Shabbot, the Sabbath day and Fasting and Praying where Jews have to give up long distance travel and not eating yeast products).

When the middle class blacks move to Southfield so a bit of poor and low-income friends and relatives,too. Later when middle class blacks move further out, then poor and low-income blacks would take over certian Southfield neighborhoods. This case happen in Detroit neighbohoods and some parts of Oak Park, too.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    There are more than enough vacant houses for us to shelter our homeless in SE Michigan now.
    Sure, but that would be communism. Freedom means you sleep on the fucking streets if you can't afford a house. Why do you hate America, commie?

Haha I know, how dare I suggest things that don't make the top 1% money...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Southfield became 63% black middle class community because the organized Jewish communities. They are moving to more greener wider open spaces and away from urban mess. Like JJaba said, "Every 25 years an organized Jewish communities will move to one place or another for better open spaces, better public services or when their neighboring synagogue either closed down to move to another area." [[ After all Jews have to observe their biblical law of Shabbot, the Sabbath day and Fasting and Praying where Jews have to give up long distance travel and not eating yeast products).

When the middle class blacks move to Southfield so a bit of poor and low-income friends and relatives,too. Later when middle class blacks move further out, then poor and low-income blacks would take over certian Southfield neighborhoods. This case happen in Detroit neighbohoods and some parts of Oak Park, too.
    Eating bread is a Passover no-no,not Shabbath.Blacks have traditionally followed us Jews out to the NW.First 12th ST.Then Dexter.Then up Livernios.7 and Wyoming,7 and Greenfield.Oak Park in the 1970s,followed by Southfield and now West Bloomfield.Next Howell,where we be welcomed with open arms....

That is a very interesting article, but agree the picture kind of cheapens it some.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Eating bread is a Passover no-no,not Shabbath.Blacks have traditionally followed us Jews out to the NW.First 12th ST.Then Dexter.Then up Livernios.7 and Wyoming,7 and Greenfield.Oak Park in the 1970s,followed by Southfield and now West Bloomfield.Next Howell,where we be welcomed with open arms....

Howell: where you can get off the freeway, but you can't get back on. Talk about bone chilling.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Howell: where you can get off the freeway, but you can't get back on. Talk about bone chilling.
    Of all the dramatic demographic changes within the tri-county area, I was looking at the Detroit News interactive Census map, and the ethnic make-up of Livingston County is barely changed over the decade despite the huge influx of new residents [[second fastest growing county in the state). I was kind of shocked even though I know I shouldn't have been.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Duhnoo about that - you skipped right by Novi and Milford.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Duhnoo about that - you skipped right by Novi and Milford.
    Novi and Milford are for the goyum.But that shtetl Howell!We'll have it looking like Pinsk,Vilnius or better yet Chelm in no time.All it should need is a yesheva and a mikvah,and a place to buy a nice sheitel for that special shena madel,or a new shtreimel for the High Holidays.

The reaction of african american residents of Southfield proves that the real issue is people of different economic classes, and NOT RACE. When your entire neighborhood flips from owners to slumlords [[mostly banks now) and renters, everything tends to go to hell. Doesnt matter if everyone is aa, anglo, hispanic or whatever. Its about ECONOMICS.

The chief of police in Southfield said it plainly on the news, that if the 'new residents' do not get with local ordnances, they will be "invited to find another city to live in".

The race baiting is a complete red herring - we are all bound together by economics, and the people at the top of the economic scale want us all fighting over skin colors to keep us divided.

concerning the bottle photograph - yes, completely staged. it isnt even OPENED ! typical of the Associated Press, imo.
    Last edited by mauser; March-24-11 at 06:56 AM. Reason: too stoned to type

Economic segregation here we come!

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    The reaction of african american residents of Southfield proves that the real issue is people of different economic classes, and NOT RACE. When your entire neighborhood flips from owners to slumlords [[mostly banks now) and renters, everything tends to go to hell. Doesnt matter if everyone is aa, anglo, hispanic or whatever. Its about ECONOMICS.

The chief of police in Southfield said it plainly on the news, that if the 'new residents' do not get with local ordnances, they will be "invited to find another city to live in".

The race baiting is a complete red herring - we are all bound together by economics, and the people at the top of the economic scale want us all fighting over skin colors to keep us divided.
    But white people stopped buying in Southfield a long time ago. The only reason it's not about race in Southfield anymore is that there are almost no white people left there.

I love it, if I lived in Southfield I'd want to shake this guys hand.
    I might even buy him a fruit basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Economic segregation here we come!
    Like we're not there already???!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I love it, if I lived in Southfield I'd want to shake this guys hand.
    I might even buy him a fruit basket.
    What's he suppose to say? That's the job, he's expected to do

Doesnt matter if everyone is aa, anglo, hispanic or whatever. Its about ECONOMICS.

The chief of police in Southfield said it plainly on the news, that if the 'new residents' do not get with local ordinances, they will be "invited to find another city to live in".
    This is the strategy that ALL areas should follow, especially those experiencing increased property/personal crime and ordinance violations. Residents and community leaders shouldn't tolerate a lowering of standards. Once the slide begins, it's hard to stop.

I agree. Of course in Detroit you wouldn't have the resources to do the whole city at once; you would have to start in a limited area and expand as you got things under control, assuming you did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast