Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eastern Market Flower Day - Sunday May 17

Anyone going?

I always go early and grab some garden starters and flowers...

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=2&s=30

LodgeDodger Guest

As a rule, I stay away from the place on Flower Day. I was there today picking up some stuff. Packed to the gills.

I'll probably go, but just for the atmosphere and some Burt's. I'm also looking for a couple hanging Chenille plants. Stuff always seems more expensive than usual on Flower Day

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    As a rule, I stay away from the place on Flower Day.
    totally, and its not like they don't sell flowers there every other weekend during normal market day in the spring and early summer

I could barely deal with the crowds this morning at 7:00.

I go down to EM every week, but you couldn't pay me enough to go tomorrow.

Yeah, you guys are right... this is definitely the wrong forum to ask.

I think it is the right forum but a lot of the people from this forum go to the eastern market on a regular basis not just as a novelty such as flower day. I myself made the mistake of going one time on flower day and it won't happen again.

Well, I didn't find my chenille plants this year, so if anyone knows where else I'd find a couple, please let me know!

Alley - that is beautiful! Is it an outdoor plant? I want one!!!!

Mostly outside, I think--they like mild shade and lots of water. I had mine, in hanging baskets, on my screened-in porch and they were pretty resilient until winter came and I lost them.
    Mark my words, I am hell bent on finding more!

Alley,

I don't know where you are located, but this place is huge and always has an enormous variety of plants at good prices. You could call to see if the chenille plants are available. My neighbor had some growing almost as a vine staked up on her fence a few years ago. I hope you can find them!

http://www.schwartzgreenhouse.com/spring/index.php

cheddar bob Guest

I saw those plants at Eastern Market last year. They were on the North side of the market, one of the last vendors on that side.

I went, I always go. It does my soul some good to see soooo many people having a good time in the city, and i love flowers..I took some EM virgins with me and they LOVED it..in fact they have made plans to accompany me on my twice monthly saturday shopping trips for the rest of the summer

Got to the market about 4:00pm after the Tiger game and the place was packed,I was in and out in 20 minutes with some great deals on perennials and annuals. Great to see the downtown area booming this weekend!!