Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Redford's attempt to revitalize - Why has no one commented?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...-Works-Project

This article discusses how businesses, community groups [[The Motor City Blight Busters), and artists have revitalized a small stretch of the Old Redford commercial district. It demonstrates that positive things can happen if people starting DOING, and not just COMPLAIN AND FLEE.

The article lists some services that the Old Redford Business Association wants the city to provide in order to maintain and increase the resurgence -

"
    The association wants better lighting, with the existing globe streetlights restored, better snow removal, more Dumpsters for trash collection, better parking signs, parking meters removed and more pressure on owners of dilapidated buildings."

We need to put pressure on our elected official to make sure these things happen.

My father walked from his co-op on Bentler to that business district to get exercise and was a regular at Paul's.

The district outlined by the map comprises an eclectic mix of buildings. IMHO, the neighborhood west of Lahser and north of Grand River can provide a foundation to the area.
    The homes have not seen the awfull blight one can see on Pickford east of Lahser.

I loved the area when I lived there. In the dead of winter, I could go the the Rogell Golf Course and use the excellent X country trail they had set up there.

1) Sweet Potato Sensations --- great treats, cakes, cookies, etc.

2) Coffee Shop @ Artists Village --- great environment for a great cup of coffee.

3) Redford Theatre

Visit them all or you are missing out. Can all be done in one trip!

It made me proud to read that article yesterday. My organization's 37 year history of operating and owning the Redford theatre has played no small role in the stability of that neighborhood. John George must be singled out for his work with Blight Busters, and the local merchants who have stayed or moved to the district have played a significant role in keeping the are strong.
    What can the city do? just do their job, nothing more. Police the area with patrols that are nearby when called, make the lights work, clear the snow and take the garbage away.
    The Redford area is strong because the merchants/businesses in the area put their own labor and money into their businesses and did not wait for a government body to do it for them.

I caught a glimpse of the article yesterday then read it online [[it was a nice break from the doom and gloom population articles)

I spent a little time in that area a year ago when i was taking pictures for a photography class though i had heard of it well before. The area is a little bright spot in the city. I recall hearing about the java house a long time ago and always wanted to check it out but it seemed like it had never opened. I'm glad to hear it did and will stop by when i get a chance! Best of luck to all the shops there and I'll try my best to support them. Its also cool to see the blight busters hq down the street.

I always want to check out the redford but I'm waiting to find something playing that I'm interested in [[unfortunately im not much of a movie connoisseur for the stuff they usually play but I'm looking forward to experiencing it. I applaud everyone who keeps that place running.

The old redford area i believe still has some nice neighborhoods left. My personal favorite is the area west of lahser just north of the theater; its beautiful with winding roads and mature trees. I'd love to have a house there!

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    It made me proud to read that article yesterday. My organization's 37 year history of operating and owning the Redford theatre has played no small role in the stability of that neighborhood. John George must be singled out for his work with Blight Busters, and the local merchants who have stayed or moved to the district have played a significant role in keeping the are strong.
    Thanks to you and your organization for the hard work that you do. Thank you for keeping one of our West Side neighborhoods intact. I know it can't be easy.

A soror and I chatted about starting a knit n' stitch club at the coffee shop or Sweet Potato Sensations. Who would we get in touch with?

Debbie at Lahser Sewing is a doll. Right next door to Sweet Potato. She's fixed up some clothes of mine for cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    What can the city do? just do their job, nothing more. Police the area with patrols that are nearby when called, make the lights work, clear the snow and take the garbage away.
    The Redford area is strong because the merchants/businesses in the area put their own labor and money into their businesses and did not wait for a government body to do it for them.
    A big "Thank You" to you and your organization for the job you have done with the Redford Theater. The best time I had at the movies in recent years was seeing one of my all time favorite films, Bullit, on the big screen for the first time. I was a kid when it came out and didn't see it until years after it's release when I caught it on TV. I was very happy to experience it the way it was meant to be seen when it played at the Redford.