Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Michigan Central Depot upgrades???

I heard on WWJ this afternoon that Matty's group is planning to put a new roof on MCS and add new windows. I will believe it when I see it.
    Cant find a link but will keep looking.
    Last edited by kenp; March-23-11 at 01:51 PM.

Ha! Yeah, some ten-year Home Depot-cheapo shingles and some white vinyl Wallsides! I can see it now...

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I heard on WWJ this afternoon that Matty's group is planning to put a new roof on MCD and add new windows. I will believe it when I see it.
    Cant find a link but will keep looking.
    Sounds like he wants to seal it up. City officials have been pressuring him to renovate it or tear it down. This sounds like one of two things: 1) he may have an interested party, and this is simply phase one while they put together a more comprehensive redevelopment plan, or more likely 2) he is doing as the Ilitches did a few years ago with the United Artists Building. He probably figures that the city would settle for him cleaning the building up and replacing windows making the building look less blighted, etc. If he is to put new windows on, he has to put a new roof on to keep moisture out of the building, otherwise that will cause mold and other issues. My money's on 2. He really doesn't seem to want to tear it down. Seems like, if nothing else, he is buying himself time to allow the economy to improve a bit more to where there may be more interested parties.
    Last edited by esp1986; March-22-11 at 04:27 PM.

GUSHI Guest

3. The bridge, he wants support for the bridge, just another game being played.

... although Ilitch's work on the United Artists Building has been very slow... they put a new roof on both office and theatre portions, and have cleaned all the debris out of both. The "wobble" canopy has been removed, and drywall has been installed in some parts of the interior.

In either case mothballing the building is definitely a plus...

Does anybody know the name of his real estate company ? It was mentioned awhile back in Freep but I cannot find it now. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Nothing he does on this building will, in any way, affect the bridge efforts. His biggest obstacle as far as his bridge is concerned lies across the river. Canada wants the bridge downriver so people and more specifically, trucks, aren't traveling the city streets through Windsor. They believe that the best chance of that happening is if they keep him from getting the permits he needs to begin construction on his bridge.

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Nothing he does on this building will, in any way, affect the bridge efforts. His biggest obstacle as far as his bridge is concerned lies across the river. Canada wants the bridge downriver so people and more specifically, trucks, aren't traveling the city streets through Windsor. They believe that the best chance of that happening is if they keep him from getting the permits he needs to begin construction on his bridge.
    Why do any improvements now? Its been sitting like that, for what seems forever. Why yhe sudden change of plans.

If Matty chooses to seal up the building, the city has no choice but to settle for it. All the Michigan statute requires is that the building is free from trespass. All the ordinance requires is that its not a danger and the State or County can't even file under the ordinance unless the City allows them to file on their behalf.

Why our governments haven't enforced these rights is beyond me. Perhaps now that the Kwame machine is gone, he fears that they will so he has choosen to follow the law.

Either way, I applaud the move if he's actually going to do it.

Why do any improvements now? Its been sitting like that, for what seems forever. Why yhe sudden change of plans.
    Miss my other post? Mayor Dave Bing has essentially given him an ultimatum: Do something with it, or tear it down. So he is doing something with it, making it look a little better and perhaps buying himself some time to find a tenant to renovate it for.

GUSHI Guest

So you think Bing can force a Billionaire to do something he doesn't wanna do, bs

city council called a vote a couple years ago to tear it down and there's nothing saying they won't do it again.

It would cost millions to tear that down - so CC can pass all the laws they want, no one has the money.
    In my experience and memory, the Morouns ALWAYS have an ulterior motive for any seemingly good or community- benefiting move they make, and that ulterior motive is reaping some corporate profit on the backs of the City, the neighborhood and the citizens. My bet is that they want to look like better property owners to someone for some other gain.

GUSHI Guest

Last time I checked it still was up, You just made my point.I
    Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    city council called a vote a couple years ago to tear it down and there's nothing saying they won't do it again.

heard from official channels....can't say what but i'll tell you i'm happy
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; March-22-11 at 09:42 PM.

New windows will probably be cheap polycarb and 2x4's

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    If Matty chooses to seal up the building, the city has no choice but to settle for it. All the Michigan statute requires is that the building is free from trespass. All the ordinance requires is that its not a danger and the State or County can't even file under the ordinance unless the City allows them to file on their behalf.

Why our governments haven't enforced these rights is beyond me. Perhaps now that the Kwame machine is gone, he fears that they will so he has choosen to follow the law.

Either way, I applaud the move if he's actually going to do it.
    Exactly! If he puts a new roof on it to stop the place from rotting from the inside out, replaces all the broken windows and cleans the place up there is really nothing the city can say.

I say when they are finished, they should put install a few huge flood lights and light up the face of the building.

Whatever Mauroon is up to, I could care less. Its good to see this place shine again, instead of being an eyesoar.

He also put out a notice that he wants all the marble "tables" returned from the miscellaneous trailer parks that they were moved to.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Exactly! If he puts a new roof on it to stop the place from rotting from the inside out, replaces all the broken windows and cleans the place up there is really nothing the city can say.

I say when they are finished, they should put install a few huge flood lights and light up the face of the building.

Whatever Mauroon is up to, I could care less. Its good to see this place shine again, instead of being an eyesoar.
    Exactly!!

If you want to hate.... hate the man... not the building...

Does Matty have an ulterior motive in mothballing the building? Maybe, maybe not... maybe he figures it'll be cheaper to mothball it than to tear it down... even if he mothballs it on the cheap.

Anyway... he's an old man... and he'll likely not going to live long enough to ever see it restored. But so what? As long as it's mothballed... it gives it a chance for a possible future.

Is that so bad?
    Last edited by Gistok; March-23-11 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Does anybody know the name of his real estate company ? It was mentioned awhile back in Freep but I cannot find it now. Thanks
    I believe its Crown or Crowne Realty or something.

It's not like Matty Moroun is hurting for money, his net worth in 2010 was $1.6 billion. Michigan Central Station really does need to have a date with the wrecking ball, the building is pretty useless and isn't the basement of the building flooded already? Moroun has more than enough money to pony up the demo money.

I agree with Gushi. Add to this 'public opinion' spin, the recent 'settlement' the bridge co. just
    proudly announced on FOX 2 news Tues. Night, with the 'Bait Shop', coming out of nowhere,
    suddenly, when they are beginning their media campaign, ie: another FOX advertisement
    regarding those evil people wanting to build a new bridge at public expense, which will cost us all $100 million a year....not telling those same duped listeners, that they as well want to build a new bridge....just THEIR own version of the bridge, to be privately owned by the Mulrouns&Co.
    Hey...Canada has been adamant, they WILL NOT allow 'Maddys' bridge to land where he
    proposes. Mulroun figures, once he 'wins', the U.S. Govt. will somehow force the Canadians
    into accepting his bullshit plan. That's why we citizens must see through all his campaigning,
    and laugh in his face, at his simpleton politics. They're so easy to spot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    It's not like Matty Moroun is hurting for money, his net worth in 2010 was $1.6 billion. Michigan Central Station really does need to have a date with the wrecking ball, the building is pretty useless and isn't the basement of the building flooded already? Moroun has more than enough money to pony up the demo money.
    No the bridge co. drain it when it does, it comes in through the tunnel going to the Roosevelt warehouse, obviously they had to do a feasibility study on the building or they wouldn't invest in over 800 windows, 7 roofs, plus the cost of removal of the original windows [[the EPA will obviously be watching after the July 09 asbestos scare).

I hope this happens,

I think its possible that matty would do this just to build up goodwill and toss a bone to the people to try and get his bridge [[although i admit this seems unlikely given that its matty) I may be off base but i could see him slashing and burning half the city if it meant more money in his pocket. After all hes only 107 years old with 17.4 billion to his name, gotta look out for your retirement right?

I don't like the attitude that he doesn't want to put a cent into the building unless hes absolutely 100% sure he will make a profit; thats not the way it works. Most investments involve some level of risk [[well owning an international bridge crossing is probably on par with owning an oil field in that regard) If he didn't want to take responsibility for the place he shouldn't have BOUGHT it in the first place. My family actually owns a building that is currently vacant and it comes with responsibilities. We pay the taxes every year like clockwork, keep the grass cut and the snow shoveled, and generally make sure it looks presentable. We're looking to sell it soon enough even though it will likely be at a pretty big loss in this market.

Its amazing to me that he cares so little about being detroit's mr. burns. Also there's a very good chance that if even matty is willing to pry open his wallet he knows something that we don't yet.

Ranting about matty aside it would be great to at least stabilize MCD. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will use it eventually [[i know there were rumors on the forum of that some time ago) But even if noone occupies it it'll still help. When people look at MCD now with windows, cleaned up, and maybe even with some lighting it will no longer be an eyesore. Combined with the work being done in roosevelt park that area could come together quite nicely. On the other hand, photo ops outside the station will drop 95%

My only curiosity, is how long will the windows last? Odds are they will be broken in no time, as the building is still accessible to everyone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast