Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Food Truck Laws in Detroit

What are the laws regarding mobile food trucks in Detroit? I've heard different things from different departments and I'm confused as to what is actually true. I've been to the Business Licensing Office in the Coleman A Young building and I've spoken to someone at the city's law department. The former told me that there was an ordinance being worked on regarding food trucks that would be finished April 1st. The law dept told me that food trucks are not allowed in the central business district at all. Can anyone give me any concrete information?

I think the fact that it will be finished April 1 tells you he's kidding.

Seriously, though, there are a number of people working to get the city to work with food vendors. I understand the city has the appearance of dragging its feet in the matter. [[You know how the city loves small businesses and would never EVER hold up a permit.)

The city is missing a good bet here, as usual. About the only reason I would like to visit New York City is for the many food vendors here, there, and everywhere.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011061...sizzle-Detroit

there needs to be a lot more food trucks operating in the city and metro area. Lots of specialized, diverse food options is a good thing.

This topic was discussed on the radio a few days ago, and I think its about time Detroit jumps on board. By having food carts/trucks stationed around downtown, it would encourage more foot traffic and give office workers another quick option for lunch.

When the Lions win the Superbowl, then food trucks will line the streets.

This far too progressive a move for the City to embrace.

But, if they allow food trucks, the next thing you know they'll be allowing magazine stands and other horrible street-fare. I mean, who wants that?

I attended a City Planning Commission meaning this past Thursday and I was glad to see there's an effort to get an ordinance governing food truck establishments passed. Hopefully, we'll start seeing food trucks in the CBD soon.
    Last edited by markd; June-20-11 at 04:44 PM.