Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Old Main, 1915

Default Old Main, 1915

You Wayne Staters will love today's Shorpy photo: Old Main in 1915.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10163?size=_original

And, no, that is not me doing traffic. Might have been my training sergeant, though.

Cool picture! Amazing how little the building has changed - apart from the landscaping the front is nearly identical. Amazing how much nicer it looks with all the trees, and with a narrower Warren.

That's a great one. I spent a lot of hours in that building from 1986-89. I notice there is scaffolding in front of the Hilberry, without using the google I would imagine the Hilberry was built in 1915?

I never knew there was a trolley on Warren. Cool pic.

Looks like someone left their horsepoop shovel unattended, must be on a coffee break.

Name:  poop scoop.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  30.5 KB

Thanks a lot for calling that wonderful picture of Old Main/Central High to my attention Ray. What a great picture - and it lead me to take a search through the U of M Burton Collection site, in which I found some pictures of the building under construction, and even the cornerstone-laying ceremony.

Not only did both of my parents attend college there [[and my sister, for good measure), but my great grandmother worked in the building during its high school days as a cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    That's a great one. I spent a lot of hours in that building from 1986-89. I notice there is scaffolding in front of the Hilberry, without using the google I would imagine the Hilberry was built in 1915?
    Yup. What's today the Hilberry Theater was built between 1915 and 1917 as the First Church of Christ Scientist.

The cornerstone laying for Central High School:

Under construction:

Newly completed in 1897:

And, just for good measure, 20 years later, the newly completed First Church of Christ Scientist:

What's that on the left side of the mailbox?