Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 713,000

Default 713,000

That's the official number, according to Channel 7.
    Last edited by BrushStart; March-22-11 at 11:09 AM.

Nasty, so now we're the 17th largest city in the country and the 4th largest city in the midwest.

Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. Down from just under 2m in fifty years.

That's astounding.

Vox Guest

I was pretty close, only off by 9000 or so. On the other thread, that is.

I await the other numbers for the metro, as they'll have much more important information. We knew this number was going to be psychologically important. Let's get down to the real nitty-gritty and soon.

Vox Guest

Why wait? Oakland county 2000 census 1,194,156 in 2010 1,202,362. Macomb County 2000 census 788,149 in 2010 840,978. Wayne County 2000 census 2,061,161 in 2010, 1,820,584

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Why wait? Oakland county 2000 census 1,194,156 in 2010 1,202,362. Macomb County 2000 census 788,149 in 2010 840,978. Wayne County 2000 census 2,061,161 in 2010, 1,820,584
    So, it appears that roughly 80% of Wayne County's loss between 2000-2010 was Detroit population loss. Not sure how that will be taken, but it may be good for inner-ring burbs and the prospects of redeveloping the core.

I believe the official Metro Detroit includes St. Clair, Lapeer and Livingston Counties. Totalled up, 4,296,250 by 2010 census figures.

The kicker here is the increase in Macomb and Oakland Coutny is directly correlated with the decline in Wayne County [[Detroit). The region didn't actually grow, in fact the tri-country decreased by 140k. So yeah, and the beat goes on...

So, despite modest gains for Oakland and Macomb counties, the region as a whole has shrunk. Yes?

This is preposterous. I hope they challenge that figure. I feel that is extremely low.

And if this is all true about the Metro's numbers, that means we're going to fall from the 11th largest metro area in the country to the 14th largest [[behind Phoenix and San Francisco).

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    So, despite modest gains for Oakland and Macomb counties, the region as a whole has shrunk. Yes?
    Region's population has shrunk, demographics in a lot of places have changed and are changing.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    This is preposterous. I hope they challenge that figure. I feel that is extremely low.
    Spot on, in my opinion. Consider the whole picture, not just Midtown and some neighborhoods that have people in them. I guess that if there is an undercount, I would blame the citizens of Detroit for not being cooperative with the census takers.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And if this is all true about the Metro's numbers, that means we're going to fall from the 11th largest metro area in the country to the 14th largest [[behind Phoenix and San Francisco).
    Probably 15th... Behind the Inland Empire, California.

So even despite the sharp decline, in hindsight this is a good thing for Detroit for the fact that the suburbs can't claim they're doing just fine without the city when they're declining as a whole also.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So even despite the sharp decline, in hindsight this is a good thing for Detroit for the fact that the suburbs can't claim they're doing just fine without the city when they're declining as a whole also.
    I don't think that's something worth gloating about. But clearly this should change the course of the discussion. This isn't just a Detroit problem.

Way lower than I expected

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I don't know, there are a lot of areas that were much fuller in 2000 than they are today. And look at how many former Detroiters now reside in Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Warren, Hazel Park, Madison heights, Ferndale, Oak Park, Southfield, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Canton, etc. There has been a massive outflow that's been confirmed by property managers I've spoken to.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't think that's something worth gloating about. But clearly this should change the course of the discussion. This isn't just a Detroit problem.
    See, now you just went and blew my statement about disagreeing with you out of the water. Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    See, now you just went and blew my statement about disagreeing with you out of the water. Agree 100%.
    Well, if it's any consolation, this has pretty much been my position all along. I just happen to think that Detroit is more essential to righting the regional trajectory than any individual suburb [[or suburban county). That's why my positions tend to be Detroit-centric...

The inner and middle ring suburban numbers will be interesting. In 2000 all suburbs touching Detroit and the entire Woodward corridor of towns running to Pontiac lost population with the exception of Southfield [a small gain due to middle-class Afro-Am emigration] and Dearborn which grew 10% due to Arab-Am immigration. The inurb of Hamtramck also grew.

The middle rings were flat in 2000 and IMO there numbers will be most telling for our whole community.

Even more important for all will be the economic data. We already know about Sterling Heights having the steepest decline in per capita income, over $20K per year. These trends need to be examined. Decline in population combined with increase in income [This happened in downtown] is different from decline in both or increase in population and decline in income.

Buy American Guest

Here's the bottom line:

"The losses that we have are completely – or primarily – linked to the decline in the auto industry and in manufacturing in general,” said Professor Lyke Thompson, director of The Center for Urban Studies at Wayne State."

What did anyone expect?

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA.
    OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

“This speaks volumes and is very disappointing,” said Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, who was born and grew up in Detroit. “We’re seeing what happens when there’s a total collapse of city services. Detroit is in desperate straits.”
    Oakland County gained a little less than 15,000 in population and stands at 1,202,362, according to the Census figures.
    “We probably would have had a higher population number, but we have an unemployment rate of 15%. We took a huge drubbing with the automotiveindustry collapse,” Patterson said. “A lot of those guys and gals left the state, so the fact that we only gained 15,000 … I think we did alright, given what we’re up against.”
    Ohh Brooksie, you dumb motherflukker.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast