Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit shopping center moves forward with loan

By JOHN GALLAGHER
    DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The long-delayed Gateway shopping center at Woodward and 8 Mile Road took a step forward this morning when the Detroit Economic Development Corp. approved an $850,000 loan to help private developer Redico complete the planning for the project.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...yssey=nav|head

He added that if the leasing and financial commitments fall into place, construction on the project could begin in September.
    At least September is sooner than "next year", as we have heard a lot over the past few years.

That's the best news today. I hope it works out.

Maybe the Tyvek Temple a mile south will be completed by then.

Notice the name change? The "Shoppes at Gateway" has become the "Detroit Gateway Park Outlet Mall." I don't think that bodes well for the quality of the eventual development.

I'm not fond of outlet malls, but I don't like "Shoppes" either. If a Meijer's ends up there, that will be enough for me.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Notice the name change? The "Shoppes at Gateway" has become the "Detroit Gateway Park Outlet Mall." I don't think that bodes well for the quality of the eventual development.
    It had always been planned as a mid-to-low-scale mall as far as the shopping options were concerned. The only difference is now they are being honest about their intent for the place.

I agree with mwilbert. So long as they are able to land that Meijer planned for the site, they can call it Shoppes at Redneck/Ghetto Corners for all I care.

they can call it Shoppes at Redneck/Ghetto Corners for all I care.
    That would be an interesting test of whether the name of a shopping center makes any difference at all.

I suppose "Anthrax Village" might be worse.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That would be an interesting test of whether the name of a shopping center makes any difference at all.

I suppose "Anthrax Village" might be worse.
    Hell, how about "Detroit Village"? It could have the exact proposed shopping options as it does under "Shopes at Gateway" but would instantly lose half of its potential customer base. lol