Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default It's Shorpytime! Hotel Tuller.

My... What Detroit lost....

[[And in the last message they talk about a Circus wagon on the right. As we've discussed before in a different thread about the Grand Circus, we determined it was a dinner wagon. There was construction work going on that picture. Can anyone find it?)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; March-21-11 at 12:31 PM.

Construction on 12th floor?

Yeah, is that the UA being built in the background?

Kinda reminds me of this old beauty on Park Avenue.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...6.15,,0,-24.12

You guys [[girls?) amaze me with the photos and history you come up with and post. Thanks.

Notice that two of the four cars in the photo are electrics, the near one with solid-rubber tires. Oddly for 1913, no Model T's are visible.

More on the Tuller here: www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/tuller

That can't be the UA going up because the second wing of the Tuller hasn't replaced the Church of Our Father yet [[it was built in 1914), and the UA went up in 1928. [[Plus the cars are the wrong era.)

Sure was a good decision to rip that farter down. I'm sure people will build out that parcel any moment now...

has anybody ever seen pictures of the tuller from the 60's-demolition?

I've never and think they would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    And in the last message they talk about a Circus wagon on the right. As we've discussed before in a different thread about the Grand Circus, we determined it was a dinner wagon. There was construction work going on that picture. Can anyone find it?
    Here is the previous thread.

Since the pic was taken in 1914, I figure they are in the process of building the Kales Building. The lunch wagon on the right is hiding the work site.

Gumby, I don't think the UA was built until the 1920s when Charley Chaplin and friends formed the company. In the early days film distribution was controlled by the production companies. Gistok knows more about this arcane practice, maybe he can chime in and either correct my memory or expand on the theme.

In looking at Lew Tuller's work, it leaves me a little teary. I use to frequent a mysterious little bar right there at the corner of Adams and Park. It was called the 101Lounge and was essentially in that half basement you see on the corner. Lew must have done some rehab work in the 30s because the way you got into the place was walking down a short set of stairs and into a small alcove.

The 101 was an art deco streamlined beauty. A recessed ceiling with indirect cove lighting, a milk-glass bar top and a double mirrored backbar. It was really something to see.

UA was open 1929-1979, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote132003 View Post
    Construction on 12th floor?
    I realize that is a bit confusing. The construction was not going on in that picture but to the right of the picture, on the block of West Adams and Park Avenue.
    I remember it was a shot taken from a skyscraper with the view on that corner.

The cars are cool. The small one on the right reminds me of our modern Smart Car.
    Way cool hotel too.

Can anyone ID the gasoline powered cars. They definitely look like they are higher end vehicles, especially the one parked on the side of the Tuller.

Electric cars look like Detroit Electrics or maybe Baker Electrics.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    More on the Tuller here: www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/tuller

That can't be the UA going up because the second wing of the Tuller hasn't replaced the Church of Our Father yet [[it was built in 1914), and the UA went up in 1928. [[Plus the cars are the wrong era.)
    Tried to post comments about the Tuller, Golden Harp Castle, Golden Harp Pub, the Hughes family, the final tenants of the Tuller, the 101 Club and it's demise. The website wouldn't accept my entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Sure was a good decision to rip that farter down. I'm sure people will build out that parcel any moment now...
    Yeah, doesn't it just kill you when 'they' say, we're tearing this building down because we have development proposals, like with Tiger Stadium. The development there is amazing [[sarcasm for the uninitiated). I remember the bullshit about the Uniroyal Plant site being the most sought after, the most valuable, the most this and the most that, in the entire country. 30 years later, it's a magnificent water front development [[sarcasm for the uninitiated). We aren't fools, just don't bullshit us. If it has to come down, then take it down. Tiger Stadium was the last straw for me with the City of Detroit. Liars! Don't believe a word they say. Don't even get me started on the Campau House [[Little Harry's), the Madison Lennox, City Hall, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    has anybody ever seen pictures of the tuller from the 60's-demolition?

I've never and think they would be interesting.
    I watched some of the demolition. It was in about the late 80' or early 90's. One of the saddest moments was when they knocked a hole in the back wall of the ballroom - facing Clifford Street. It was a blizzard snowfall. I just stood and looked into the ballroom. Chandeliers and wall sconces were still visible. I don't know if they were originals or replacements installed for a movie or two shot in the hotel during the 80's. I think one of the movies was Rosary Murders by Father Kienzle, or something like that.

If you want to see parts of the Tuller on the big screen along with other Detroit shots from the '80's, check out the Coen Brother's movie 'Crimewave' which was directed by Metro-Detroit's own Sam Raimi. The story is kind of crappy but you can see the directing style of Raimi emerge along with some recognizable locations of Detroit.

Also notice that there was an entrance added at street level to the corner of the Tuller right at Park and Adams. The Shorpy picture shows only a window but the www.buildingsofdetroit.com Old Photos shows an added enterance at that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Since the pic was taken in 1914, I figure they are in the process of building the Kales Building. The lunch wagon on the right is hiding the work site.

Gumby, I don't think the UA was built until the 1920s when Charley Chaplin and friends formed the company. In the early days film distribution was controlled by the production companies. Gistok knows more about this arcane practice, maybe he can chime in and either correct my memory or expand on the theme.

In looking at Lew Tuller's work, it leaves me a little teary. I use to frequent a mysterious little bar right there at the corner of Adams and Park. It was called the 101Lounge and was essentially in that half basement you see on the corner. Lew must have done some rehab work in the 30s because the way you got into the place was walking down a short set of stairs and into a small alcove.

The 101 was an art deco streamlined beauty. A recessed ceiling with indirect cove lighting, a milk-glass bar top and a double mirrored backbar. It was really something to see.
    You have a good and precise memory of the 101 itself. Thanks for those details. My memories are more of the happenings. Kris Lynn, stage name, Florence Dinwiddie, real name, was a teacher at Renaissance HS during the week and a jazz pianist extraordinaire at the 101 on the weekends. She ran the music like a conductor. I saw her at Bakers a few years ago for a SEMJA event. Al was the bartender. A short, stocky, muscular, bald, black guy who had the look of a pugilist. Nicer guy you'd never meet. Last time I saw him, maybe a dozen or more years ago, he was waiting on a bus downtown. I gave him a ride home to the east side. The club was smokey and very musty, mostly due to the fact that there were only two businesses in the entire, almost vacant building. People would walk in the door with horns in hand, just waiting for Kris to acknowledge them and they'd play as they approached the stage. On one side you'd have a party from Birmingham and the other would be a queen in full regalia. It was my getaway with a couple of the old-timers from downtown. I've often called it one of the coolest bars I've ever been to - it was so raw. Kris Lynn later played at Bert's 'All That Jazz' in the Cadillac Tower where Gracie's Bon Ton used to be, and at the Bricktown Grill, behind the Millender Center, which burned during the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    If you want to see parts of the Tuller on the big screen along with other Detroit shots from the '80's, check out the Coen Brother's movie 'Crimewave' which was directed by Metro-Detroit's own Sam Raimi. The story is kind of crappy but you can see the directing style of Raimi emerge along with some recognizable locations of Detroit.

Also notice that there was an entrance added at street level to the corner of the Tuller right at Park and Adams. The Shorpy picture shows only a window but the www.buildingsofdetroit.com Old Photos shows an added enterance at that corner.
    Might be some scenes form the Rosary Murders too. A couple of the guys living in the Tuller worked on the movie Beverly Hills Cop.

Skipper, you remember Don from the Tuller? Tall guy, freckles, tight Afro, loquacious?

You're right about Kris Lynn, she ruled that place, it seemed to have just the right space to frame her talent...

Anybody notice the stairs leading into what appears to be a horse drawn wagon in the bottom right of the picture??? Hope they people using it were under 100lbs!

I remember Don and John and the rest of the mismatched guys "running
    the place! That certainly seems like a lifetime ago!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Skipper, you remember Don from the Tuller? Tall guy, freckles, tight Afro, loquacious?

You're right about Kris Lynn, she ruled that place, it seemed to have just the right space to frame her talent...
    Donny Moore. Yes, I remember him well. The regulars who crashed in the Tuller were Don, Barry, Barry's brother, I can't remember his name at the moment, Michael, Mary and Cabot. Cabot was from N'awlins and traveled frequently doing theatre. I saw Mary a few years ago. Barry and his brother were from Rouge, so I knew them and their families.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast