Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gilbert airs ideas to revive Detroit

BY TOM WALSH
    DETROIT FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Dan Gilbert, founder of Quicken Loans and principal owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team, hosted what he called a "family reunion" for 162 people last week in downtown Detroit.

Think of the three-day meeting as a corporate management retreat in blue jeans, with a dash of evangelical fervor and an array of disparate business ideas aimed at reviving a deflated city.

Members of the Quicken corporate family heard about plans as diverse as the possible purchase of the Chase Bank headquarters building on Woodward Avenue and a deal with Microsoft to allow Xbox video gamers to buy huge Fathead wall graphics of their customized avatars.

Gilbert moved Quicken headquarters and 1,700 employees last August from Livonia into four floors of the Compuware building in downtown Detroit and followed that up in January by buying the Madison Building near Grand Circus Park.

Next up: Quicken wants to move 2,000 more people downtown starting later this year or in 2012. Gilbert has an option on the Chase building -- but hasn't closed the deal yet -- and his real estate people are looking at other Detroit properties. Meanwhile, another affiliated startup, Detroit Venture Partners, aims to invest in 15 young companies a year.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011103200435

Although I would like to see Gilbert and his company do more in the Grand Circus Park neighborhood [[over and above the Madison Bldg) in particular at or around the United Artists...I'll be glad that at this point that he brings 2000 more bodies downtown. I still feel that he will do more downtown...I know the Broadway/Witherell St/Madison business are giddy over the Madison Bldg. occupancy.

DetroitDad Guest

I'm eager and excited to hear what he has in store, to contribute back to the Michigan and Detroit community.

Detroit needs many more Gilberts.