Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Then and now . . . what's on the corner?

Having lived in the Muskegon area now for only 19 years, I only know what I see here. When I ask for directions to a particular business or street, I might be told, "It's right where Bill's Standard station was." I wasn't here when Bill's Standard Station disappeared.

But I grew up on Detroit's east side in the Fifties and Sixties. I have fond memories of my neighborhood. I can see everything in my mind's eye. I know what was there then, but not now.

Play along, share a memory or two.

E. Warren and Farmbrook - In the 50s and 60s, Warren-Farmbrook Sunoco Service, the Gabriel Richard Knights of Columbus hall, Maple Lanes Bowling Alley, and Allemon's Garden Center. What's there now?

E. Warren and Lodewyck - Pete's Bar, the Pony Keg Liquor Store, a corner coffee shop [[50s)/Beltone Hearing Aids [[60s). What's there now?

Between Farmbrook and Lodewyck - Sunnybrook Market, Markus Insurance. What's there now?

Way to stay positive there, Proslack.

We know that this corner now is a parking lot [[sadly,) but check out this photo just posted on Shorpy: http://www.shorpy.com/node/10155?size=_original

What church is that where the Tuller would soon build it's annex? When was it torn down & why??

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    What church is that where the Tuller would soon build it's annex? When was it torn down & why??

It was the Church of Our Father and it was demolished in 1914.

As to the question of why, you already answered your own question. [[see red underlined text above)

http://www.cardcow.com/67704/church-...roit-michigan/

http://forgottendetroit.com/tuller/index.html

Another in a long list of things that are a damn shame they were destroyed. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    E. Warren and Farmbrook - In the 50s and 60s, Warren-Farmbrook Sunoco Service, the Gabriel Richard Knights of Columbus hall, Maple Lanes Bowling Alley, and Allemon's Garden Center. What's there now?
    Grew up further west near E. Warren and Outer Drive, but had occasion to drive along E. Warren just this afternoon for the first time in a while....

At the above intersection, the K of C is now a Dialysis Center, the bowling alley is just sitting boarded up without any signage, and Allemon's is gone [[can't recall what might be in its place). I think the gas station is still there, although not sure if it is still a Sunoco station.

There were many more changes in the stretch between Cadieux and Mack!!!

The Maple Lanes building is actually still in use by a company called Hadley Construction.
    Most of E. Warren from Cadieux up through Mack has been holding on, although the winter fire at the former 7-11 turned church turned Karate dojo is a loss.
    This was actually the last surviving 7-11 in Detroit until it closed 5 or 6 years ago.

turkeycall:
    If you're curious as to what's there now, just use Google streets.
    Here's a link to your first intersection and you can go from there...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=de...2,68.1,,0,8.92

Walked that area many times, grew up at Harvard and Frankfurt, would cut across Cannon play field through the parking lot behind Donovan's Vet to get to E. Warren. Would then walk down E. Warren to Farmbrook to either the Scanlon's house, or Meyer's house, both just off Southampton. Sometimes we would head around the corner to Dave's house on Lodewyck. Some of the places I passed on the way: M and M Hardware, Carom Club, KFC, that round building across from Burger King that was usually a muffler shop, Club 500, Al lemon's and Maple Lanes, bar at the corner on Lodewyck[[?), used to be a Dairy Queen / christmas tree lot at University...Pony Keg, B and B auto [[specialized in import parts), repair shop next door that was owned by a couple of the Vigilantes for a while, can't forget Pointe BBQ...

is the game over?

Whats on the corner?

Now a vacant lot,
    it was the corner at Michigan and Trumbull.

Firestone across the street, church kitty corner.

Now lets go to the east side,
    Outer Drive and Van Dyke

Was Falcon Lanes, Shell gas station next to Dee's sporting goods.
    Standard station on the east side and I cannot remember the NE corner.

Now it is a Burger King, repair shop, Dee's is vacant, Standard station,
    maybe I should go to google streets, no someone else can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawlspace View Post
    If you're curious as to what's there now, just use Google streets.
    There's another site that I've come to prefer for this purpose:

www.vpike.com

I think it actually takes its images from Google, but provides some different methods of navigation - you can easily arrow your way down blocks so it's almost as though you're walking or driving through the neighborhood.