Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit to be a Navy ship!

Nice! I got to go on the nuke sub USS Michigan while I was in; an Ohio class sub [[for more Midwest goodness).

There was a USS Detroit dreadnaught at Ford Island during the Pearl harbor attack....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    There was a USS Detroit dreadnaught at Ford Island during the Pearl harbor attack....
    The USS Detroit was a gunboat that won a Presidential Citation for destroying two Japanese planes during the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    The USS Detroit was a gunboat that won a Presidential Citation for destroying two Japanese planes during the attack.

The Light Cruiser CL-8 Detroit [[Omaha-class) was present at Pearl. She served most of the war in the Aleutions and on other subsidiary duties. She earned six campaign stars, but no mention to the Presidential Unit Citation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Detroit_%28CL-8%29

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The Light Cruiser CL-8 Detroit [[Omaha-class) was present at Pearl. She served most of the war in the Aleutions and on other subsidiary duties. She earned six campaign stars, but no mention to the Presidential Unit Citation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Detroit_%28CL-8%29

Detroit was one of two ships present at both Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 and at the signing of the Japanese surrender [[the other being West Virginia).
    That's wassup....

There have been seven US Navy ships named Detroit? Did I read that right in the Detnews.com piece? I didn't see the list of Detroit ships listed in Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    There have been seven US Navy ships named Detroit? Did I read that right in the Detnews.com piece? I didn't see the list of Detroit ships listed in Wikipedia.
    From Wiki:

"Six ships of the United States Navy have been named USS Detroit, after the city of Detroit, Michigan.

• Detroit, a screw steamer, was laid down at the New York Navy Yard in 1865 but canceled in 1866 and broken up on the stocks.

• USS Detroit, was a sloop-of-war named so from 15 May to 10 August in 1869. Before and after she was known as the first Canandaigua.

The old sailing ship actually carried 19 guns at the Battle of Lake Erie. The USN kept her in service till 1815, then scrapped her.

The steamer Detroit never really began construction. She was cancelled as the Civil War was over and the USN was downsizing.

The sloop-of-war Detroit [[1869) was a mis-naming during a massive re-naming exercise in the USN.

The first cruiser Detroit was part of the Montgomery class. That was probably the worst class of cruisers ever designed for the USN. The Detroit must have been poorly built since she went out of service so quickly in 1904 and scrapped while her sister ships lasted till 1919 and 1921.

The second cruiser Detroit [[CL-8) was part of the Omaha class. When designed, the Omahas were state-of-the-art. When completed, they were behind the state-of-the-art and by WWII, were obsolescent. The entire class of ten ships spent most of the war on subsidiary duties as the more modern Brooklyn and.Cleveland class cruisers did the front line work.

I was on the replenishment ship Detroit sometime before she was decommissioned. She looked like she had been ridden hard and put up wet.

"

You know what really hurts about this one? She was the last tall ship built at Malden [[Amherstburg), and then captured by Oliver Perry of the USN in 1813. Then Amherstburg starts building a replica of the HMS Detroit sometime in the 90's, fully operational, largest tall ship on the great lakes, with public money......and the committee fouled up the whole project. Windsor Casting Plant even cast her cannons in the now demolished historic plant.
    So the project is stalled, lawsuits are flying and the hull is sold. Sold for scrap? No....not scrap. She was sold to a Newport, R.I. tall ships group. The same Newport Oliver Perry was born in! At least she keeps her name and the ship will live on. Nope! She's being renamed the Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    She'll more than likely set sail some time in 2012.

Canada had another HMS Detroit in 1812, the captured USS Adams. You guys got her back but she was in such bad shape you burnt her.

Aside from this good news....

....what an irritating pop-up at the link!

More Detroit ships.

Hoegh Detroit.
    [[Looks like this picture in the link was taken in Rotterdam. I recognize the Caland Bridge.)

A Dutch guest on the Detroit river!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; March-19-11 at 07:02 AM.

The first cruiser Detroit was part of the Montgomery class. That was probably the worst class of cruisers ever designed for the USN. The Detroit must have been poorly built since she went out of service so quickly in 1904 and scrapped while her sister ships lasted till 1919 and 1921.

But the best looking! Shame that it was broken up. Would have been a sight to see this docked at the river. Look at the same generation Mikasa, the ony surviving pre-Dreadnought in the world.

I wrote up a blog on this topic. Did a bit of poking around for some of the financial details. Interesting stuff. The parent company of the shipbuilder is Italian and builds most of the world's big cruise ships, including the last three I was on.

I'm guessing this ship will be a Somali pirate hunter.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-pirate-hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Canada had another HMS Detroit in 1812, the captured USS Adams. You guys got her back but she was in such bad shape you burnt her.

Burnt to prevent recapture.

Wiki article on the first cruiser Detroit [[C-10)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Detroit_%28C-10%29

Default This is pretty much what the new SS Detroit will look like....

Attachment 9125

Not too bad in my humble opinion.....

I had no idea there were several. Killin my initial enthusiasm!

Love the mast profile on this. I used to be a TACAN beacon [[that would be the UFO shaped object at the top of the mast) tech, and climbing up to the top of the mast was never fun. Doesn't look too bad on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Attachment 9125

Not too bad in my humble opinion.....

Thatt would look sweet with a set of spinners.

You know, we could probably get all 713,000 people on a navy ship, so we won't need our 139 square miles of land anymore. Maybe we could give it to the Palestinians. They don't seem to have any land.