Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Breaking News: Bobb now has total control over DPS

I suppose the newly signed EFM bill made the judge who originally ruled that Bobb could only handle the financial aspect of DPS reverse course and give him control over academics. Going forward, Bobb is gone in three months so the next EFM woulld have gotten control anyway courtesy of the state.

Link from the News. http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-DPS-academics

Reading the story, some believe that Lansing created the EFM bill because of Detroit schools. That's hard for me to believe when the new bill can wrestle a city away from elected officials but you never know. As for the board, well they have been returned to being a paper board. A board in name only.

As long as Reverend David Murray is on there I don't want the board to have control of anything that impacts children.

We probably need fewer board members and/or a total revamping of the board.

The next move, probably under the new [[or next) financial manager will be to abolish the school board. It is going to be interesting to see if there are any court challenges to the constitutionality this law. If it makes it to the State Supreme court, based on the current makeup of the court it will probably be upheld.

With this decision, the board is useless and needs to go. I'm not in favor of Bobb having control over the academics [[or anyone else who is a non-educator, for that matter). Non-educators really need to stay away from academics and leave that to those who know about curriculum and instruction. I think a new board, made up of students, parents, teachers, community members and bldg admin should be put into place. These are all folks who have a vested interest in DPS and actual education.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    With this decision, the board is useless and needs to go. I'm not in favor of Bobb having control over the academics [[or anyone else who is a non-educator, for that matter). Non-educators really need to stay away from academics and leave that to those who know about curriculum and instruction. I think a new board, made up of students, parents, teachers, community members and bldg admin should be put into place. These are all folks who have a vested interest in DPS and actual education.
    Parents, community members and educators are the kinds of people we should have been electing to school boards all along. We should never elect anyone to anything who doesn't have a vested interest and doesn't fully understand [[and feel, and experience) the impact of their decisions on their constituents. Their well-being should be tied to their decisions in the same manner as the people they are affecting with their decisions.

But with the current law, any kind of board is irrelevant now. I can't see how that is a good thing. I think a financial manager should have their hands full concentrating on the finances. I can't see how they can fulfill their primary mission if they are running the operations as well. These EMFs are like gods now. And I've been wary of "gods" since I was a child reading mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Parents, community members and educators are the kinds of people we should have been electing to school boards all along. We should never elect anyone to anything who doesn't have a vested interest and doesn't fully understand [[and feel, and experience) the impact of their decisions on their constituents. Their well-being should be tied to their decisions in the same manner as the people they are affecting with their decisions.

But with the current law, any kind of board is irrelevant now. I can't see how that is a good thing. I think a financial manager should have their hands full concentrating on the finances. I can't see how they can fulfill their primary mission if they are running the operations as well. These EMFs are like gods now. And I've been wary of "gods" since I was a child reading mythology.
    This the reason why companies have CFOs. Because a CEO can't expect to run everything yet the state of Michigan believes that a "emergency financial manager" can run everything. Get the popcorn ready and watch the trainwreck.

DetroitPole Guest

Well, most school board members within recent memory were parents [[with kids in DPS), community members, and to a lesser extend, educators, and seemingly would have a vested interest in the community, all at least on paper. In practice they are a bunch of complete fucktards.

All hail King Bobb, King of Detroit Public Schools. God save the king. No thanks to that Nerd!

...if DPS is dissolved.. how should it be re-designed? who would have oversight over this? the governor? mayors office? city council? would the school board be by Districts-- if so, should districts be re-defined? should there be term limits? should there be educational/experience credentials as a prerequisite? should there be background checks, to avoid a Murray/Mathis situation again?

Doesn't state law pretty much determine school curriculum anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...if DPS is dissolved.. how should it be re-designed? who would have oversight over this? the governor? mayors office? city council? would the school board be by Districts-- if so, should districts be re-defined? should there be term limits? should there be educational/experience credentials as a prerequisite? should there be background checks, to avoid a Murray/Mathis situation again?
    In my opinion, the school board should continue to be elected by city residents. Term limits are not needed. Background checks should be in the form of voters thoroughly checking out candidates, as they should in all elections. There should be no prerequisites that could automatically prevent the common man from running for school board, just as there should be none to prevent the common man from running for city council or mayor or whatever position they might seek. Voters should determine whether or not an individual brings to the table what is needed. That is what democracy requires.

Of course, democracy carries the risk that uninformed voters will elect the wrong person.

Back to DPS, it is the superintendent who is supposed to actually be running the schools. The board is only supposed to provide some oversight and checks and balances. Does DPS even have a superintendent now?

Oh, and DPS is just a name. Public education should not be dissolved. It is still the best way to ensure access to education to all children. Any charter schools that get public funding should be required to demonstrate an ability to provide access to all children, even special education children. They should not be "for profit". They should answer to parents and the community, like public schools are supposed to, since they are receiving the communty's taxes.

This the reason why companies have CFOs. Because a CEO can't expect to run everything yet the state of Michigan believes that a "emergency financial manager" can run everything. Get the popcorn ready and watch the trainwreck.
    I agree that an EFM can't run everything. However in the case of the DPS the trainwreck has already occurred, so it is probably too late to get the popcorn. Possibly you are in time to watch the remains catch fire.

NorthEndere Guest

Background checks should be in the form of voters thoroughly checking out candidates, as they should in all elections. There should be no prerequisites that could automatically prevent the common man from running for school board.
    You had me until this. There should most definitely be background checks for school board members. Now, one can argue what should preclude someone from serving as a school board member, but I'd definitely start at, oh, you know, being a pedophile. I'm sure that's asking too much, though.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-19-11 at 11:45 PM.

Oh, and DPS is just a name. Public education should not be dissolved. It is still the best way to ensure access to education to all children. Any charter schools that get public funding should be required to demonstrate an ability to provide access to all children, even special education children. They should not be "for profit". They should answer to parents and the community, like public schools are supposed to, since they are receiving the communty's taxes.
    I applaud you.

As for Bobb, I wish him all the luck in the world. He is going to need it.