Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Funny, I have seen some vitrole from strangers [[my husband calls them, imaginary friends) I am rather fond of, via posts. There is no understanding politics or religion. Makes people crazy. A can of worms, so to speak. We all have a world view that speaks to us individually. Move on with your life. Big splashy comments acheive little. Do a Hallmark moment and "Live, Laugh, Love.

Personally, don't like Hallmark or barfy cards but still a very nice sentiment, adopt what you can as inspiration.

An annullment cost me about $250, and that was years ago. I can't even imagine what the charge is for an old-fashioned Exorcism these days.

It's a catch-22 John. They really need to dislike you so much that it's worth their time and financial loss to go forward with the proceedings. That's not an easy thing to accomplish with this bunch, when you're already outside looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    John, I simply walked away from the Catholic Church 25-35 years ago [[the process was somewhat evolutionary). Excommunication was never an issue, as simply I stopped considering myself to be a Catholic. I was probably spiritually out before that, as I had substantial disagreement with some of the beliefs and dogma that the Church considered core......

My gripe is with those that refer to me as a "lapsed Catholic", as if I forgot to do something or simply need to come back. I left, consciously, purposefully and knowingly, and am not going back.
    Your story is a lot like my own, and, in a nutshell, that's really all there is to it. Neither you nor I needed to wait for the Catholic Church to excommunicate us - WE excommunicated IT. And Gannon, if you yourself find yourself at that point, that is all you need to do too. But I would hasten to add that I think it should not be a matter of what you are going away from as what you are going to. I am certainly no longer a Catholic but I am still very much a Christian. I left Catholicism because I found many of the Catholic teachings - especially the ones involving Sacraments and things like Rosaries and scapulars - at direct and polar opposite odds with teachings given by Jesus even in the "Catholic" translation of the Bible, particularly and especially the Sermon on the Mount. Leaving Catholicism should not be about going away from Catholicism so much as it should be about going towards a more Biblical relationship with Jesus.

When you get kick out of the Catholic Church is doing these seven deadly sins:

1. Greed: endless thirst for everything!

2. Lust: endless thirst for desires! [[ i,e. cocktail of sexual pleasures just by looking a woman, man or child face and its physical structures for private parts and flirt to smooching in bed or couch without abstinence.)

3. Anger: endless thirst for uncontrolable temper tantrum for wants.

4. Sloth: endless thirst for laziness [[ i.e. sitting in bed, couch and chair being a deadbeat with a remote control while physically fit and watching television, movies and brousing the web.)

5. Guttony: endless thirst for food!

6. Envy: endless thirst for covetousness and jealousies [[ i.e. wanting your neighbors better life and properties)

7. Pride: endless thirst for bragging rights [[e.i. TRASH TAKING) for greatness than a higher being or authorities.
    Last edited by Danny; May-19-11 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    An annullment cost me about $250, and that was years ago. I can't even imagine what the charge is for an old-fashioned Exorcism these days.

It's a catch-22 John. They really need to dislike you so much that it's worth their time and financial loss to go forward with the proceedings. That's not an easy thing to accomplish with this bunch, when you're already outside looking in.
    Everybody needs to exorcize to stay fit the old-fashioned way; by earning it.

No one has commented on danny's post - which is brilliant!!!

A Quest For De-Baptism In France

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/29/146046...ce?sc=fb&cc=fp

In France, an elderly man is fighting to make a formal break with the Catholic Church. He's taken the church to court over its refusal to let him nullify his baptism, in a case that could have far-reaching effects.

I'm glad this thread has re-appeared; it was fun!

As a gay, pro-choice Unitarian Universalist, I hope I managed to excommunicate myself one way or another.

Just walk away, Gannon. No need for drama. Peace.

Thanks for that article, MikeM.

No drama intended.

Cheers,
    John

I think if you take a communion wafer and throw it on the ground and step on it that will get you excommunicated.

I recently read about how 75 Mormons got together to have a communal leaving the church service. What a great idea!

One of the problems with excommunication, I think, is that faithful Catholics will no longer be able to socialize with you as before. There are certain limitations, I don't know exactly what they are. If you leave the church, you may have to also leave your family [[which, in my case, is more or less true already without having to be excommunicated).

I have been doing some research to try to find out when members of my family first became Catholic. The best answer I can find is somewhere around 773-775 AD, when Charlemagne executed 4,500 Saxons in what is now Germany because they refused to convert to Catholicism. He also issued an order 2 years later that codified the death penalty for failure to convert. For this, Charlemagne was canonized and is a saint. Thank you, Charlemagne, for showing us what Jesus' love is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0bqZw6B0A

So did you ever go through with it?
    Enjoy the Marty Feldman skit, priceless

This may be a tad outdated ...... but '' streak '' right in the middle of a mass . Don't forget to run slow so they get a good look at your mug so they'll know who to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Frankg View Post
    I have been doing some research to try to find out when members of my family first became Catholic. The best answer I can find is somewhere around 773-775 AD, when Charlemagne executed 4,500 Saxons in what is now Germany because they refused to convert to Catholicism. He also issued an order 2 years later that codified the death penalty for failure to convert. For this, Charlemagne was canonized and is a saint. Thank you, Charlemagne, for showing us what Jesus' love is all about.
    Interesting. I recently read a history book which said that one of the motivations for the Viking raids into France and specifically against churches and religious houses was the destruction by Charlemagne of the Saxon Irminsul which was one of the holiest symbols of the Germanic/Norse religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankg View Post
    For this, Charlemagne was canonized and is a saint. Thank you, Charlemagne, for showing us what Jesus' love is all about.
    Charlemange is not a saint. He's never been officially canonized by any pope.

I agree! Just follow another faith. I did. Best thing I ever did. Had nothing but problems with the catholic church. Now I'm FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Charlemange is not a saint. He's never been officially canonized by any pope.
    Ok, good point, Jackie! He was canonized by Pope Paschal III in 1166, but this and all other acts by Paschal III were later rescinded by a later pope. Nevertheless, Charlemagne [[Blessed Carolus Magnus) was beatified by Pope Benedict XIV.

So you're saying my Catholic education at St. Al's wasn't complete?! They never taught us that.

I mean, how does the sole representative to God for an entire collection of people all of a sudden get everything he did reversed? We were taught that the Pope was God's voice on the Earth. How could there be such conflict between two successive Voices of God?!

They taught us to use a capital I when we spelled Papal Infallibility.

Tell me it is because Paschal III was an evil usurper...and I'll then wonder if it has ever happened again in modern history. There was considerable controversy over one of the popes of the twentieth century. I saw a picture book a year or so ago which precisely detailed the lookalike who took the official one's place, the evidences of earlobes and nose details were damning. Funny thing, I cannot find anything on the Internet about it. I'll ask my friend if he won't mind me scanning it and uploading some things.

Come to think of it, I am quite sure I never even HEARD the term antipope until I was in my thirties. Wonder why they don't teach this stuff to the younger folk in catechism?! I guess they don't want to cause any schisms, or chase folk away to any of the other 'isms' and 'ists' available in the world.

Cheers anyways, this is going to be a beautiful day...even if this stuff churns my belly a bit.
    Last edited by Gannon; September-10-12 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    I agree! Just follow another faith. I did. Best thing I ever did. Had nothing but problems with the catholic church. Now I'm FREE!!!
    I understand, Jody. I have done exactly that, and have collected experiences and memories since running from the Church which prove that the Maker doesn't favor those who remain within this ancient institution. I simply don't want to be counted as a Catholic any longer, when it is my understanding that after baptism and confirmation they include me in the ranks, even if only under some classification indicating my non-participating status. I want to make it perfectly clear that I will not willingly ever participate in their status. Any of 'em.

Sincerely,
    John

Best I could find on the controversies around the Paul VI papalcy.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/va...kencross11.htm

After reading that page, I am dumbfounded. All of this happened in Rome during my formative years as a young Catholic. Is there any wonder why I don't want anything to do with this organization?! It is nothing of what it is supposed to be, something deep within me senses this which causes great emotional and mental consternation. My spirit gets sick.

We were so distracted by Vietnam and the oddities of Nixon's power scrambling and Rock-n-Roll and the nation's upcoming birthday and some fellows in sheets making our gasoline prices increase.

Listen, I KNOW good still gets done within groups which may happen to meet within a Catholic-owned building. They may even all be professed and active Catholics, never doubting and always faithful. I know good Catholics, I know some really great ones.

But after the second half of my life...filled with mystical experiences and answered prayer [[destroying the ability to use the word co-incidence to explain away most of 'em) and encounters with dynamic loving people who on the surface would shun mere mention of God or religion [[but who selflessly act exactly like the Jesus I learned about in scripture with similar wisdom, stature, peacefulness, and effectiveness serving others, acting in Love)...I no longer remain in the delusion that it is because of anything Catholic, but rather in spite of it. No matter the attempts to water down and distract and usurp...some unseen Spirit and otherworldly power sneaks in and makes it all alive and now again.

This is the lesson I learned first at the weekend retreat we took during our Senior year at St. Paul's in Pontiac...and again many years later at the worship time after noon mass at St. Elizabeth's in Wyandotte. I heard that priest got into trouble for having that wonderful session. It was always odd to see nuns with their arms upstretched in praise, and the 'feel' in that place was the same as when we shared time at the retreat house. It was a definite tangible change in the energy in the air around everyone, unmistakeable.

That is what I pursue...because where-ever this Spirit is, there happen miracles and better. I know this Spirit remains on the Earth, and I'm sure beyond doubt that the Catholic Church does not have sole license to It.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; September-10-12 at 03:14 PM.

Our mom dragged us to church every year or so to get some religion in us kids but it just didnt take. I remember when my Nephew was born my sister didnt want to go through the ordeal of having him baptized as shes just not a christian like that. My Mom, after a few drinks decided to baptize him by herself in the backyard bird bath after blessing the water. LOL. Loved that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So you're saying my Catholic education at St. Al's wasn't complete?! They never taught us that.

I mean, how does the sole representative to God for an entire collection of people all of a sudden get everything he did reversed? We were taught that the Pope was God's voice on the Earth. How could there be such conflict between two successive Voices of God?!

They taught us to use a capital I when we spelled Papal Infallibility.

Tell me it is because Paschal III was an evil usurper...and I'll then wonder if it has ever happened again in modern history. ...

You mean like when they rescinded the rule about not eating meat on Ember days? Or when they changed the not eating for three hours before communion to one hour? Or suddenly not requiring women to wear hats in church?
    Last edited by jcole; September-11-12 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    [/U][/B]
    You mean like when they rescinded the rule about not eating meat on Ember days? Or when they changed the not eating for three hours before communion to one hour? Or suddenly not requiring women to wear hats in church?
    How about when they turned the Alter around and quit speaking in Latin?
    Do people still go to confession?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    How about when they turned the Alter around and quit speaking in Latin?
    Do people still go to confession?

Of course, that remains one of the big seven sacraments, don't be silly.

But it does help explain a few of the older folk's insistence that the changes wrought during that time were some form of abomination. I've heard it before, but never understood. I thought it was merely about going from Latin to English, and allowing instruments into the sanctuary beyond the pipe organ.

It was the current pope who brought back Gregorian Chants, which have marvelous mystical qualities. I didn't know they'd been 'outlawed'. One witness at one big convention event says the current president even uses at least one of 'em for rejuvenation. They were bothered by it, but once you learn the uses of the harmonic resonances with the human body, the scariness vanishes. I find the return at this time curious, because of all the popes in my lifetime, this one is by far the creepiest. Something is different with this man, but I've not studied him enough to even hazard a guess what.

According to the mythical vision given St. Malachi, he's the second-to-last-one before the proverbial excrement strikes the wind impeller. Dovetails nicely with the rumored third prophecy of Fatima which has never been fully revealed. Either way, it doesn't look very good for the institution, and the faithful will fare as well as they can after it is shaken up.

I've felt for years that the whole revelation of priestly misbehavior was somehow otherworldly-driven, the way it cascaded into public view after that one big scandal...all over the nation and then the world...was simply too co-incidental to be anything but co-ordinated, although one would be hard-pressed to find any tangible director or ring-leader.

No matter what, it would be an exciting time to be Catholic. Shame I have to miss all this...

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; September-11-12 at 06:24 PM.

Sounds to me like it is deeply etched in your soul. Hard to evict the Holy Ghost.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast