Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Don't worry John, I'll slip a vial of holy water into your casket. It'll keep you cool when the flames of hell are licking your heels.

Sorry John... but since you've been "martyred" on this thread... next step veneration.... no way you'll get excommunicated now....

Rob a nun and just hope she doesn't have a ballbat under her robe ?

Maybe you can find some comfort from Father Sarducci's words :

I hear the Mormons are attempting to baptize EVERYONE ON THE PLANET.

One of the most interesting beliefs within the LDS is directly tied to the size of your heavenly family . Meaning the number of souls that are with you in heaven. The larger the number, the closer you are to God. Hence, the plural wife thing and - for you genealogists - the family tree thing.

The upshot is that, yes, someone in the LDS can give you a spiritual baptism without your knowledge - even if you are long dead - if they discover you are somehow related to them. For example, my gggreat grandfather had a brother who converted in the 1840's. The was a religious frenzy that swept through Oakland County and the guy was caught up in it. The uncle joined the handcart parade with Brigham Young and eventually married 3 or 4 women. The fruit of those pairings run from Arizona to Idaho.

So yes, I have been spiritually baptized in the LDS, and no, I am not happy about it. You too may be baptized and not know it. All it takes is for some third cousin on your mother's side to marry into the faith and zip-zam-Zooey you be a Mormon.

I haven't read through all the posts so if I am repeating this link, I apologize. It seems pretty detailed in the excommunication laws of the church. It has everything you never wanted to know about excommunication.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    The fact is, even though you're a "Cradle Catholic" you're not really a "Catholic", per se. I'm quite sure you haven't made your Easter duties in years. That's traditionally the way people "keep current" on their relationship with the Church.

You cannot erase your past. More importantly, excommunication is used for only the most egregious acts against the Church and its teachings. Your wish for excommunication is hardly constitutes such an action. If you don't wish to worship with with Catholics or choose to ignore the teachings of the faith, then be gone with you. Methinks an excommunication is something you would like to use as a "bragable" item. To use as a flag to show others just how "special" you believe yourself to be.

You really need to grow up. Would you believe I'm less than a year older than you, yet find often find myself thinking, "Is this guy really so close to me in age?" I would expect such silly rantings from someone decades younger than you.

Gannon, grow up. Get a steady job. Go about the business of being a grownup. You'll find that you don't have time for such silly musings when you're busy with the actual business of being an adult.

Of course, I expect you to take this as an "attack" on your character. Of course, it isn't, but I don't expect you to view it as such.
    Yes, let's all sit and psycho analyze Running with Scissors, in a pieced together family that could unravel at any moment.

Case in point, I'm curious why this poster feels the need to strike out at this other poster. She, seems to be proud of her age, wearing it on her shirt sleeve like a medal of honor, and then at the same time, writing off the significance of age, by attacking Mr. Gannon here. They say age brings wisdom, so where is the wisdom in this pair?

I have a confession to make, if I seem distracted, I am. I'm multi-tasking, the T.V. is on.

I am quickly learning the adaptation of tending to overlook what people say, and look at what people do. Japan is in ruins, and a civil war rages in the Middle East, their elders in both regions are stepping up to the table to take sacrifice and more. In Michigan our elders are sitting around arguing, wasting time, and looking for others to ridicule.

LodgeDodger, why do you waste your years with preconceived judgments about what Gannon needs to do with his? He does what he does for a reason that you probably aren't qualified to judge. As a matter of fact, what makes you think you have the authority to judge anyone, and now? For remember, even God saves the judging for the end of days,

Maybe, if you really have no problems in your own life, that you have the time to worry about other's shortcomings, you can lead him as leaders do, by setting an example with yourself. How has your own life's path treated you LodgeDodger? Have you felt the need or urge to attention seek, maybe through bragging rights, or maybe through hypocritically keep the spyglass on the other person's page? I'm sure someone will give you a "well said" for standing out and attacking Gannon.

PS: Whatever happened to your :::HUGS::: trademark, Lodge Dodger? Justin, sing the chorus; where is the love?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; March-20-11 at 03:27 PM. Reason: link added

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I really, really want to not be counted as one of them.

They got my parents to baptize me.

They convinced me for some time to follow their ways.

They even had me agree to be confirmed.

Now, at 47, I am certain beyond any doubt that I'd like to not be a part of that institution and want to make it legal.

I'd like to thank them for the instruction on reading, writing, and arithmetic. That was fine. The REST of it?! Whoa.

Cheers on this beautiful day.

Sincerely,
    John J. Gannon
    Class of '81, St. Alphonsus High School.
    Consider watching this TED video and then posting here

Or, are you worried that since you are baptized and confirmed, they have dibs on your soul? I would go hit up some Satan worshiping message boards. Get one of them to pencil you up one of those "sell your soul on ebay" contracts, and then just bid up on your own soul. Most satanic worshipers who spend all their time on message boards are the polar opposite of those who sit around posting on do-gooder God loving websites; in other words they're poor, and you will surely be able buy your soul back free and clear.

It's a risk, but now is a good time to sell.

"psycho analyze"

Best part of this whole thread.

Back to lurking...

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Making a fuss about excommunication to show the Catholic Church you don't care about it is kind of like going to your ex-girlfriends house in the middle of the night and yelling at her window how you are totally over her while tears run down your cheeks.
    She's not coming back Johnlodge, let it out and move on.... next

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I have a confession to make, if I seem distracted, I am. Im multi-tasking, the T.V. is on.
    I bet you are distracted by bright and shiny objects too. Maybe even squirrels. Or passing automobiles.
    Last edited by Vox; March-20-11 at 06:10 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I bet you are distracted by bright and shiny objects too. Maybe even squirrels. Or passing automobiles.
    No, but I was by this garbage flinging post.

Good show! keep 'em comin' ol' chap!

Vox Guest

Garbage? Indeed. Any excuse in a storm. And you are decidedly not Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Maybe a different dialect would be better suited for you?

Not sure how closely related it is to this topic but the April issue of Harper's Magazine has a strange piece about exorcism. Apparently it's an excerpt from Memoirs of an Exorcism: My Life At War with Satan, by the Vatican's chief exorcist. It's on page 22.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Garbage? Indeed. Any excuse in a storm. And you are decidedly not Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Maybe a different dialect would be better suited for you?
    Mary Poppins!? Ahhh you made me cry! Where's the Visine? I got a vox marily poppin' in my eye... ahhh I need to rinse my eyes out.

Vox was spitting venom at most everyone he knew, if the damned gave him a road map then he'd know just were to go.....dum do do dee... dum do dee do dumb.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; March-20-11 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Quote added

Vox Guest

Lets just say this. Ex communication is your specialty. Or maybe more appropriately mal-communication. Otherwise, you are free to blather on blissfully, my boneheaded backward buddy. Bye bye!

DetroitDad Guest

Ohhhh, you got me Vox, you got me! We can always tell where you are, scrappin' in the yard, stoushin' with a right and a left. Good throw!

Anyway, John, for each person who laughs at you, there is a person like me who you inspire into posting, and eventually action.

Vox Guest

Anyway, John, for each person who laughs at you, there is a person like me who you inspire into posting, and eventually action.
    That is rich. He inspires you into posting? And I love the qualifier eventually in your statement. So, what eventual action are you planning? Are you eventually going to go and think about a strongly worded blog post to the Archdiocese? That eventually you will not write?

Then we are all fucked if we have to listen to more of that blather. Might as well shut the site down now lest it be between two people who love to read what they just typed about themselves.

Go to a priest and tell them you just married two siblings who were previously divorced from others, they also used to be a priest and nun, the marriage was performed by Rev. A. LeVey, and all three of you are very happy in your carnal delights.

If that doesn't take, I don't know what else to tell you.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Then we are all fucked if we have to listen to more of that blather. Might as well shut the site down now lest it be between two people who love to read what they just typed about themselves.
    No one is forcing you to read it. Her post could possibly be as big of a waste of time as mine. I think Pam said it best, at the beginning of this thread.

Say what you want, LodgeDodger typed roughly 1,376 total words in this thread. While some of that may have been cut and pasted, we'll through it all as typed, and ignore the nice spacing work, quotes, and bolding she did. If LodgeDodger types 60-80 words per minute, not a bad typing speed, she just wasted somewhere between 15-30 minutes replying to someone she claims to not respect. Which could possibly make her even less worth respecting than me, who spent almost as much time responding to her out of the Bleu insults.

No one is forcing you to read it. Her post could possibly be as big of a waste of time as mine. I think Pam said it best, at the beginning of this thread.

Say what you want, LodgeDodger typed roughly 1,376 total words in this thread. While some of that may have been cut and pasted, we'll through it all as typed, and ignore the nice spacing work, quotes, and bolding she did. If LodgeDodger types 60-80 words per minute, not a bad typing speed, she just wasted somewhere between 15-30 minutes replying to someone she claims to not respect. Which could possibly make her even less worth respecting than me, who spent almost as much time responding to her out of the Bleu insults.
    I was assuming he meant you and Gannon, not you and LD.

Augustiner Guest

You can't quantify who is and who isn't worthy of respect based on word count and typing speed. It's a seat-of-the-pants, go-with-your-gut, case-by-case kinda deal.

Just 'cause I'm curious, though, what do Lodgedodger's posts have to do with that shitty club next to the Broderick?

I did a search regarding your question and came up with this posting by someone who also wished to sever all connection with the Catholic Church..officially!. Here's what he posted...
    I did it: I wrote a letter to the Bishop of the diocese of the parish where I was baptized. I recieved a reply in less than a week. It has taken me a few years [[soul searching) to get around to it all, but once I put some effort into 'getting the ball rolling' it all happened within weeks.
    Lessons & tips: I first made the mistake of asking for an excommunication when I should have been asking for a formal defection from the church - a curious legallity that I think others may get stuck on as well. I first sent some letters to the church I was baptized in and got no reply. It was easiest to ring them directly, I got all my details etc that I needed sent out to me on that day. [[ie my baptizmal record)
    Resources: Youtube was surprisingly helpful, there are a lot more people out there looking to defect from the church than I thought! I then googled my church, found out my parish, found out the diocese of that parish, and found my bishop to write to

Here's a link to some posts by people who have accomplished what you are seeking. However it is not an "excommunication", but rather a "formal defection from the Church". Hope this helps. http://www.43things.com/things/view/...atholic-church

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast