Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for pictures. postcards or drawings of Sugar Island.

This is a bit of a strange request, but I am looking for information [[Specifically pictures) of the Sugar Island Dance Hall/Amusement Park that once operated at the mouth of the Detroit River. I have a few post cards showing 2 sides of the Dance hall and copies of the photos from "Our Downriver River" and the Winter Wonderland site, but I'm looking for pictures or drawings of the baseball diamond, roller coaster, docks and other areas of the park. If anyone happens to have any of these, or knows where I may find them please let me know. Also if anyone has any items from the park that may be for sale I am interested. I can be reached at JZofchak AT Yahoo dot com... Thanks!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-16-11 at 09:32 AM.

Couldn't find anything here:
    http://www.usgwarchives.org/special/ppcs/ppcs.html

Maybe you could submit your postcards ?

Thank you for the replies. The Water Winter Wonderland site is where I first found information about the park and is really what piqued my interest. I have since found the postcard they have pictured there and several others of the pavilion. I will try to scan the pics that I do have and see if the site that Wingatic posted is interested in hosting them.

Bump... I'm still looking...

I'd also be interested in purchasing boarding passes from any of the passenger ferries, souvenirs from the park and possibly salvaged items from the dance hall, piers or roller coaster.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-30-11 at 12:26 AM.

We saw and learned about Sugar Island in July when we went on a Discovery Cruise called "Strait Talk Island History".

Our guide was the entertaining and highly knowledgeable Gerry Wykes, the Supervising Interpreter of the Lake Erie Marshlands Museum and Nature Center at Lake Erie Metropark. Besides the wonderful talk, Gerry also displayed artifacts from Sugar Island.

I highly recommend the Discovery Cruises. Check out:

http://miseagrant.umich.edu/discovery/detroit_river.html

Gerry's blog is here:

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/nature/
    Last edited by Crystal; December-02-11 at 06:26 PM.

Your best bet is to head to your local library and scan pics from books found there. My local librarian has been shipping books out to me on the Bookmobile for my review. [[unrequested, but fantastic). I've gotten books, [[with photos), on Bob-lo, Tashmoo park and steamer, Harsen's Island, Belle Isle, and early downtown retail. You can also order any library book in the State of Michigan, shipped to you're local library for free.
    Not all digital yet, but a start!