Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging Jimaz,,,,, tponetom

Jimaz:
    From the ‘Random Thought’ thread in the Non-Detroit issues.
    How does the dryer turn a pillowcase inside out and why does it happen so often?

I would also add other articles of clothing, like pockets in pants or pullover shirts and blouses turned inside out.
    With an assist from Sir Isaac Newton, Marilyn vos Savant, [[the high I. Q. genius) gives us the answer, in one word, “gravity.”
    The stitching of most of the manufactured clothing is done on the inside of the garment. The hems and panels plus the thread used in making them, adds additional weight to the ’inside’ of the garment as opposed to the outside.
    The constant tumbling and contortions of the garments in a dryer and/or a washer allows the microscopic weight difference to make a difference as to which side dominant.
    J. I was delighted to find some one, other than myself, that has pondered that imponderable whatever!
    Ms. Savant has a column in the “Parade” magazine. She gave that solution in Parade, just a few weeks ago.
    And as the song goes, “Now don’t tell me, I have nothing to do.”
    I now sleep peacefully at night.
    tpone

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Jimaz:
    From the ‘Random Thought’ thread in the Non-Detroit issues.
    How does the dryer turn a pillowcase inside out and why does it happen so often?

I would also add other articles of clothing, like pockets in pants or pullover shirts and blouses turned inside out.
    With an assist from Sir Isaac Newton, Marilyn vos Savant, [[the high I. Q. genius) gives us the answer, in one word, “gravity.”
    The stitching of most of the manufactured clothing is done on the inside of the garment. The hems and panels plus the thread used in making them, adds additional weight to the ’inside’ of the garment as opposed to the outside.
    The constant tumbling and contortions of the garments in a dryer and/or a washer allows the microscopic weight difference to make a difference as to which side dominant.
    J. I was delighted to find some one, other than myself, that has pondered that imponderable whatever!
    Ms. Savant has a column in the “Parade” magazine. She gave that solution in Parade, just a few weeks ago.
    And as the song goes, “Now don’t tell me, I have nothing to do.”
    I now sleep peacefully at night.
    tpone
    Yep! Never thought of it that way before but it makes perfect sense. The centrifugal force of the tumbling would indeed tend to fling the inner denser seams outward gradually and relentlessly.

Thanks, tponetom!

That is something I have wondered too, as well as, if my DH always throws his shirts in the laundry inside out, why don't they turn right side out in the dryer. This explanation works for that, too.

Now, where are all those sox the dryer eats, one at a time?

Oh, and tponetom, I recall that you admire Thom Hartmann as do I.

In case you missed it, I recently started and continue to maintain a thread of his work at DetroitYES Forums » Non Detroit Issues » Thom Hartmann.

I did this in part because of my gratitude for his donation of Rebooting the American Dream - 11 Ways to Rebuild Our Country to us, the public, gratis.

Likewise, I thank you for your donation of your stories to us, the public, gratis.