Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nain Rouge? A red wine of course.

GUSHI Guest

Growing grapes for wine in Detroit, Hell why not, help give us a new imagne to the outside world.

It'll be great so long as they don't block that area off. There's a good swimming hole and several fishing holes around there. There's always people there in the summer picnicking and such.

Seems like every few years they come up with an idea for the island park that involves private gain. Is this just a greenwashed version of that? I'm wary.

Detroit Red, of course..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nain Rouge? A red wine of course.
    Great Idea. I second.

I also think that this is an opportunity to build on a botanical gardens citywide. Connect villagehood hubs through dependable streetrail; create varied theme park gardens throughout the city especially in areas that are heavily blighted and vacated. Bring more infrastructure for electric-powered vehicles and bicycle paths. And on and on...

bartock Guest

NIKE? Detroit Radioactive Red?

The obvious choice to me is "Belle Isle". Garcon! ... a bottle of your finest Belle Isle red, please. Although it does sound a little "micro brewery-ish".

Let's call the the new wine "Belle Isle Special"

Quote Originally Posted by crosswordgirl View Post
    It's a great idea. The Pelee Island Winery is world renown, so why no Belle Isle? In fact, wasn't there a thread here a while ago about the city wanting to close half the parks in the city? Lease those parks out to winery entrepreneurs. Instead of urban farming, let them make wine....

"Nom Sain Noir"
    [["Detroit Red" was Malcolm X's nickname.)

Gutshot Grape?
    Detroit 20/20?
    Goonsfarm?
    Wild Industrial Red?
    Blight Light?
    Wardens Gardens Trustee Blend?

DC48080 Guest

How about "Detroit River Ripple"

How about "Suburban Wine"

"Rejected?"

Default Belle Isle Vinyard and Winery

GUSHI Guest

Would have to agree, I love the idea.

Bad idea. There are other places in the city to place a vineyard.

Buy American Guest

A thread has already been started..."what will the wine be called?"

Did you see the first comment [[from Rosedale Park) anxious over whether there would be any jobs for "Detroiters" and would they be just laborers jobs? This is so stupid and an example of the Detroit- entitled mentality! Why can't some Detroiters see that honest labor, learning a skill, etc. Is good and decent and worthwhile. Must they always be assuming that the high-up jobs be theirs, even when they don't have the skills or the financial foundation?
    I think this idea is so out in left field, but I would't dismiss it because any jobs created might be vineyard labor!

Normally I'm very defensive about Belle Isle being used for private commercial ventures but if adequate compensation and perhaps some allowance for youth to learn viticulture and wine making could be made I find this idea intriguing. It is not like the giant slide, formerly a private venture, and certainly not like the destruction of green space for the [former] grand prix paddock.

A vineyard will keep the island green and help heal that area which was polluted by the former Nike missile base that sat there. If it is decided to end the project it will be easy to return the land, probably better than it was before.

Having spent some time in Alsace, I found wandering among professionally cared-for vineyards to be a very calm and fascinating experience, particularly when they are heavy with grapes in September.

This is an agricultural development on the nicest section of the entire island. There is going to be a lot of resistance to this. If they screw that part of the island up, I will make it a personal point to water them myself.

Is there an ale called Belle Ale yet?

The thing is, once you open the door a little, they'll find a way to shove in everything they ever wanted. You start with an education vineyard, and before you know it, they're planning a campus, a 27-story wine technology center, with housing, co-ops [[all to help fund education, of course!), a McDonalds, a gas station, a 5,000-space parking garage, bowling alleys, a 24-hour recreation center, etc., etc., etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast