Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Meijer to invest $75 M

Why would they mention the Gateway store in a story about remodeling 10 stores that are nearly 10 years old?

Just a hunch, but maybe because the article also mentioned two brand new stores they are building in Chicago and Stevensville.

I thought it was kinda of ironic that Meijer showed up at Detroit's Winter Blast Festival, but doesn't have a store in the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I thought it was kinda of ironic that Meijer showed up at Detroit's Winter Blast Festival, but doesn't have a store in the city limits.
    Maybe they're hipsters?

GUSHI Guest

Support meijer fk wal-crap

Stores like Walmart and Meijer don't usually have stores in an urban setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    Most of Detroit isn't all that "urban."

GUSHI Guest

They don't want the items walking out with out payment for them

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    They don't want the items walking out with out payment for them
    Not having a store in Detroit stops that from happening?

Walmart has been fighting for years to be allowed to open a store in New York City.

Is the Gateway project even still happening?

GUSHI Guest

Whydo you think no big box realtors will open a store in Detroit. 800,000 people and they have to go to the burbs to shop. I don't agree with it but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Not having a store in Detroit stops that from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is the Gateway project even still happening?
    Looks like it might be. They're moving dirt around, but they have been doing that for a while. I'd like to see some footings poured, or, hammers swinging and the place getting roughed in.

Meijers built that store in Rochester Hills pretty quick. That Woodward Ave / State Fair location sure doesn't seem to be on the same fast track.

Walmart has been fighting for years to be allowed to open a store in New York City.
    I doubt NYC ever opens a Walmart, the only place in NYC I could picture a Walmart is Staten Island.

I doubt NYC ever opens a Walmart, the only place in NYC I could picture a Walmart is Staten Island.
    They will most likely put their first store in Brooklyn if the city allows them to open.

Walmart also plans to open 4 stores in D.C. using its smaller format: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...29463820101118

The compromise for Wal-Marts have been 10,000 square foot stores in cities. That's less than the size of a Walgreens and CVS.

Where Meijers goes, others follow. That's evident all over the state. The City of Detroit needs to work out a deal with Meijers that doesn't rely on a third party developer.

They will most likely put their first store in Brooklyn if the city allows them to open.
    Wow I don't know where in Brooklyn they'd be able to construct a Walmart. Brooklyn has close to 3 million people in an area half the size of the city of Detroit.

Wow I don't know where in Brooklyn they'd be able to construct a Walmart. Brooklyn has close to 3 million people in an area half the size of the city of Detroit.
    There is plenty of room for a Walmart. Brooklyn has a Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Sears, etc.

It's not going to get done anytime soon. The closest Walmart to NYC is the one in Valley Stream, the one that had the tragedy on Black Friday a few years back.

NorthEndere Guest

Meijer being cautious about Gateway isn't a surprise. They've been cautious all across the state during the recession, seriously pulling back putting in new stores too soon.

Urban Wal-Marts considered in New York and DC

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186984

You're going to call me a hipster for this I'm sure... but I prefer Detroit without the big boxes. I like going to the market on Sundays, I like shopping at Honey Bee, I like stopping by Kims, and I like shopping in Hamtramck. So they don't sell Fruit Rollups, oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast