Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Motor City Burning Detroit

BBC special on the Detroit music scene in the 60's and 70's on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuUD...eature=related
    Last edited by noggin; March-14-11 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks for the heads up. Been waitin' on this a while.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Been waitin' on this a while.
    Yep same here. Thanks very much for the link.

An hour well spent.

No mention of many important acts and genres in this unbalanced piece. As usual, the Brits are trying to rewrite Detroit music history without having lived through it and without having experienced the whole American milieu. They pretty much boil it down to Motown, the MC5, the Stooges, and Alice Cooper. A simplistic, inaccurate portrayal to say the least.

Gee, having never lived in England, I think I'll make a documentary about the Mersey Beat scene but I'll key pretty much only on the Beatles and Stones, but with a lot of emphasis on Screaming Lord Sutch too, because I like him.

Grand Funk were far more popular in their time than the MC5 or Stooges ever were but the 5 and Stooges influenced many more bands than Grand Funk did and continue to do so.

I thought it was simple way to thread the music together. Although I listened to the music in that era I never put together how one group influenced the other.

Fury: Let's pretend you do live in England, and you work for the BBC, but you grew up in Detroit and know Detroit music like you seem to. Sketch out your documentary. Which bands do you focus on? Who do you leave out? Is the riot important? What significant non-musical developments did the BBC leave out?

Great documentary. They failed to talk about how David Bowie was a massive fan of The Stooges and what he did to resurrect Iggy Pop's career, which was basically dormant before Bowie got into contact with him. You'd think a British audience would appreciate that bit. I also would have liked to have seen a little about people who are making music now in Detroit and how they are directly influenced by the artists highlighted in this film.

What I hope this documentary will do is pique the interest of people watching it to delve deeper into the music from this city, which is in my opinion the best thing it ever gave the world.

I also thought it was great. I like how they tied Cooper's commercial success to The Stooges & MC5. No mention of Seger's unique local success in the 60's....that was a mistake. I give them kudos as outsiders for doing a decent job of tying the auto industry, race, riots, with the music. You can't deny some of the awesome footage in there.

Weren't there a bunch of folkies living in Detroit in the 60s? I swear I read an interview with Lightfoot about visiting Joni Mitchel or someone like that at her apartment here, as well as a few other well-known folk musicians