Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why is there no looting in Japan?

Before you answer, read both the article posted below and the comments to that article.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ed...ing-in-japan/#

I'm sure there has been some looting in Japan, but obviously not on the same scale as seen in other catastrophes. Why is this?

Let the debates begin...

Because the Japanese respect each other. You can go to Tokyo and park your bike anywhere [[without a lock) and it will most likely still be there when you get back. They don't seem to have the sense of entitlement that Americans have. What is happening there is really sad. I am at a loss for words.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Because the Japanese respect each other. You can go to Tokyo and park your bike anywhere [[without a lock) and it will most likely still be there when you get back. They don't seem to have the sense of entitlement that Americans have. What is happening there is really sad. I am at a loss for words.
    Interesting response. Question, where do you think the "sense of entitlement" that Americans feel came from?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Interesting response. Question, where do you think the "sense of entitlement" that Americans feel came from?
    The welfare state? wait, Japan has more of that than we do, so does Denmark, another place where you can leave your bike unlocked, leave an infant unwatched in its pram while you have a coffee, etc., without worrying

it is not so much a sense of entitlement as a to hell with everyone else, i want mine attitude

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The welfare state? wait, Japan has more of that than we do, so does Denmark, another place where you can leave your bike unlocked, leave an infant unwatched in its pram while you have a coffee, etc., without worrying

it is not so much a sense of entitlement as a to hell with everyone else, i want mine attitude
    You are right. It has more to do with the fact that people here are simply inconsiderate of other people. It is a fundamental cultural difference within our society. In other countries, they are more concerned with the country as a whole and not just the well-being of themselves as individuals. They consider themselves to be more of a collective group.

Simple.

When nonblack people go into a store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's only because they need to survive.

When black people go intoa store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's ALWAYS LOOTING.

And, since there are so few black people in Japan, that would mean there would be ALMOST NO LOOTING.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Simple.

When nonblack people go into a store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's only because they need to survive.

When black people go intoa store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's ALWAYS LOOTING.

And, since there are so few black people in Japan, that would mean there would be ALMOST NO LOOTING.
    Well, there was no looting to speak of in the Tennesse floods last year either...was that because there are no black people in Tennesee?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, there was no looting to speak of in the Tennesse floods last year either...was that because there are no black people in Tennesee?
    I heard there was looting. A cop was quoted as saying: “No, the looting. It started tonight, mostly in West and South Nashville.”

I'll bet those are black neighborhoods. When nonblacks rush out of a 7-Eleven with diapers and stuff, they're just fending for their families. But the blacks? All looters...

Eastern and middle eastern people are taught a sense of family honor. It is manifested in terrible actions like honor murder and kamikazes and in positive behaviors like a strong work ethic and low crime rates. The lower classes probably have less of this sense of honor because they are so stinking poor. Perhaps the Japanese also have a strong cultural identity they are proud of which gives them an outlook that they are together against the rest of the world. This doesn't create strong trust of non-Japanese, but in the world today, what foreign powers can you really trust?

yup. just getting those necessities.

But more to the point....yes..there is no looting in Japan and it's not because there are no black people there....
    The landscape of parts of Japan looks like the aftermath of World War Two; no industrialised country since then has suffered such a death toll. The one tiny, tiny consolation is the extent to which it shows how humanity can rally round in times of adversity, with heroic British rescue teams joining colleagues from the US and elsewhere to fly out.
    And solidarity seems especially strong in Japan itself. Perhaps even more impressive than Japan’s technological power is its social strength, with supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out free drinks as people work together to survive. Most noticeably of all, there has been no looting, and I’m not the only one curious about this.
    This is quite unusual among human cultures, and it’s unlikely it would be the case in Britain. During the 2007 floods in the West Country abandoned cars were broken into and free packs of bottled water were stolen. There was looting in Chile after the earthquake last year – so much so that troops were sent in; in New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina saw looting on a shocking scale.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ed...ting-in-japan/

Race has little to do with it. Its a cultural and poverty thing. If Detroit metro area flooded tomorrow, you think that buffy and timmy out in Birmingham are going to be looting Hienikens or are they going to leave with mom and dad for a hotel [[or to the cottage) on higher ground?.

If you have a culture of shared sacrifice instead of "i got mines" or if it is a relatively well off and highly educated population, chaos is not the immediate result in a time of crisis.

Remember the 2003 blackout in Northeast and Northwest. When Detroit is in the dark, there was NO LOOTING!

The Japanese are the most honored, dispiciplined people on Earth next to Great Brittain and the Chinese. Damaging peoples' property is like damaging their ancestors' soul. The Japanese fight the problems with honor than competition. We Americans fight with NO HONOR with competition, greed, power and ignorance and the love of money. We Americans rather defeat the enemy to death than to show more mercy. While the Japanese do the reverse. Americans will NEVER be like the Japanese. Our progatives are too strong and its every person for him and herself. That's what keeps America moving.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

There's two ways to survive in America, be a somebody or a nobody!

Neda, I miss you so.

Funny people those Japanese...

They seem so timid and helpful.... but in other ways they are such an enigma.... still haven't fessed up to the atrocities of WWII... their schoolbooks are virtually mum on the subject. This is why they still after over 1/2 century aren't all that well loved by their fellow Asians. Seems like their "honor" and helpfulness still holds several dark secrets.

One thing is that they are a shrinking aging nation... Xenophobia prevents them from allowing foreigners to move to their country. They also don't want to dilute their race with the blood of foreigners.

During WWII nearly 9 out of 10 POWs in Japanese POW camps died from horrible conditions... and the fact that they treated other peoples, including fellow Asians as subhuman. Lord Mountbatten, Queen Elizabeth's late uncle so despised the way his troops were treated by the Japanese, that he stated in his will that he didn't want a single Japanese attending his public state funeral.

Thousands of Korean women used as prostitutes by Japanese soldiers in WWII?? Many elderly surviving Korean women still swear to it... but according to the Japanese... it didn't happen.

The slaughter in China known as "The Rape of Nanking"? Not according to the Japanese...

And as I already mentioned the schoolchildren of Japan don't hear the horror stories that their forefathers committed [[unlike those of Germany... who not only have to read about it... but have to visit concentration camps and memorials to learn of the sins of their grand and great grand parents). It gets completely whitewashed in Japanese history books.

Even a week after the peace treaty was signed on the USS Missouri... the Japanese were murdering leftover American POWs [[especially those used for "Mengele" type medical experiments) still found on the Japanese mainland.

Yes the Japanese are a polite and friendly people.... still hiding a dark and foreboding past.... not quite so honorable, if you ask me....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-14-11 at 04:00 PM.

I'll bet those are black neighborhoods.

When nonblacks rush out of a 7-Eleven with diapers and stuff, they're just fending for their families. But the blacks? All looters...
    Now you're playing race cards! Not all blacks are looters and same as not all whites and any other ethnic people are looters. You have to look the poverty vs. the rich thing. The old "Robin Hood" syndrome problem in America and other international cities goes through in the midst of civil unrest.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Be ethical for Neda's sake.

There are a few other minor things that keep them honest too, like severe penalties. Not sure about theft, but you can get up to 15 years hard labor for a DUI. You can also get hard time for riding in a vehicle with someone that's intoxicated.
    Some of these laws tend to make people more honest.

Hey, I'm just saying, when black people take stuff out of stores, it's looting.

When nonblack people take stuff out of stores,

It's because they're going to pay for it later.

It's because that stuff would have been destroyed anyway.

It's because they're actually keeping the stuff safer by not leaving it in the store.

As for the Heineken photo, Bailey, stop posting pictures of me!

It's because they're actually keeping the stuff safer by not leaving it in the store.

Yeah, you've said it three times, but it hasn't gotten any truer. Try a fourth.

Culturally the Japanese couldn't be more different than us westerners. Individualistic acts are frowned upon. Of course being a highly homogeneous society rather than a cultural melting pot makes it easiier to pull off. When you think about it living on a small crowded island the need to be respectful to each other is a must.

Funny we see the lack of looting thru our western eyes and wonder how could it be. I'm sure the japanese acted the only way they knew how.

One of the benefits of them being like that is that for decades there was a job for life culture.

However now with that culture breaking down you are now seeing an increase in suicides.

As for the Heineken photo, Bailey, stop posting pictures of me!
    Usually when I see black people looting, they aren't taking diapers, bread, water, so called necessities. It's TV's, DVD players, video games. Sure, white people loot too, but it doesn't seem to happen quite as much. I actually don't really think that it even has anything to do with race, but just poverty and respect. Some areas, people can live in poverty, but still respect the owner of the local party store/gas station or whatever. Other areas, not so much.

Are you taking about what you have seen in Media or have you seen looting in person?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Usually when I see black people looting, they aren't taking diapers, bread, water, so called necessities. It's TV's, DVD players, video games. Sure, white people loot too, but it doesn't seem to happen quite as much. I actually don't really think that it even has anything to do with race, but just poverty and respect. Some areas, people can live in poverty, but still respect the owner of the local party store/gas station or whatever. Other areas, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Of course being a highly homogeneous society rather than a cultural melting pot makes it easiier to pull off.
    This is really what I think it is. I'm sure there are many other contributing factors but it helps when a society sees itself as "us" as opposed to how we in this country see society as "us vs. them".

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Americans will NEVER be like the Japanese. Our progatives are too strong and its every person for him and herself. That's what keeps America moving.

What's a progative?

Why do people try so hard not to acknowledge what has already been observed by multiple sources? http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feat...rsy/index.html
    At the end of the day, different people displaying the same behavior were portrayed in totally different lights by the news coverage.
    Detroitnerd doesn't necessarily address issues in a politically correct or sensative manner, but I'm not seeing a lack of validity in his statements.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    What's a progative?
    Look at you! Do you feel good pointing out a misspelling? I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Are you taking about what you have seen in Media or have you seen looting in person?
    Sorta both. The only place that I really ever witnessed looting was at Woodstock '99 which was pretty much all white people. When the riot/looting happened people were looting the semi with the bottled water and food in it mostly.

Look at you! Do you feel good pointing out a misspelling? I hope so!
    What was misspelled? I didn't recognize a word.It looked like a made-up word, a Bushism.

Gistok:
    I don't recall that the Germans treated prisoners any better at war's end. Jingoism leads to treating foreigners, especially militarily weaker cultures as vermin or less than human. The common knowledge here during WWII and earlier was that eastern peoples didn't have the same feelings about human life as the more civilized west.
    Last edited by maxx; March-15-11 at 04:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast