Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default See the new Bridge Company political ad?

I like it, it says we don't need another bridge, but it's payed for by a company that wants to build another bridge.

More here:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-circle-wagons

NorthEndere Guest

lol! Yeah, I've seen it. Matty is getting so desperate he's taken his circus to the airwaves.

Now, let us see if the legislature is dumb and/or greedy enough to forego leveraging Canadian money as a local match for federal road funds. Let's see if they are foolish enough to shoot down over ten-thousand jobs between the building of the bridge and the roadwork around the state because of rigid ideology and/or being bought off. The ball's in their court, now.

It's a shame this no-brainer is taking so long. It's not even a partisan issue. You have the likes of Milliken, Blanchard, Engler, Granholm and Snyder all having thrown their support behind this thing. You've got every current and former county exec and current Detroit mayor behind this thing. All kinds of business and labor interests. The only real and perpetual impediment has been the ridiculously rigid and redistricted Michigan Senate.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-14-11 at 06:46 AM.

I thought this was going to be downriver somewhere, but now I see it's going to surround Ft. Wayne. What would have to come down? Looks like most of the footprint area is vacant industrial with a few scattered houses.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I thought this was going to be downriver somewhere, but now I see it's going to surround Ft. Wayne. What would have to come down? Looks like most of the footprint area is vacant industrial with a few scattered houses.

I have not seen one proposal that has a bridge surrounding Fort Wayne. Every rendering that I know of has it south of Fort Wayne in the area of Zug Island. It would not surprise me if Maroun's "commercial" has manufactured it's own version of the DRIC...he did it with the state money he stole to build his duty free, also.

For a company always touting their "privacy", they sure have been augmented by hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.

I would love to hear the rationalization of why he wants to build another bridge if the traffic has cut in half like the commercial says.

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    I would love to hear the rationalization of why he wants to build another bridge if the traffic has cut in half like the commercial says.
    same reason he says those same studies are worthless while trying to build another bridge in Buffalo

Makes sense. Hired a legal team to tie up the courts with legislation. They booted him. Tried buying the government for years. Snyder surprised him. Now, unable to buy anybody of any importance, he is trying to scare the public and take his case to them.

I recommend that when you call the number, you tell them the opposite of what Matty says.

Just throwing a thought out to everyone, but how long will the current bridge last? I think it was built in 1928 and I'm just wondering how strong are the support pilings and footings, can it handle to weight of some trucks, not to mention the road surface. I'm not an architect or engineer. I look at some of the overpasses on our freeway system and they seem to crumble every few years, and with that I'm just curious, how long is this thing expected to last ?

With proper maintenance, the bridge can last indefinitely.

I believe this is the current plan for the new bridge:

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    lol! Yeah, I've seen it. Matty is getting so desperate he's taken his circus to the airwaves.

Now, let us see if the legislature is dumb and/or greedy enough to forego leveraging Canadian money as a local match for federal road funds. Let's see if they are foolish enough to shoot down over ten-thousand jobs between the building of the bridge and the roadwork around the state because of rigid ideology and/or being bought off. The ball's in their court, now.

It's a shame this no-brainer is taking so long. It's not even a partisan issue. You have the likes of Milliken, Blanchard, Engler, Granholm and Snyder all having thrown their support behind this thing. You've got every current and former county exec and current Detroit mayor behind this thing. All kinds of business and labor interests. The only real and perpetual impediment has been the ridiculously rigid and redistricted Michigan Senate.
    They are: dumb, greedy and foolish.

Matty's mega-millions PR campaign spearheaded by Dick 'The DICK' Morris. A sleazy, immoral campaign whore employed in the past by the DNC and the RNC. That should say it all. Between his flings with drugs and prostitutes, he flipped sides a number of times. However this dis-information campaign is responded to, they should include Dick 'The Dick' Morris's picture in ads portraying Morris just as he truly is - a whore. I mean no disrespect to any hard working prostitutes trying to scrape by and make a living. Please don't degrade them by associating them with Dick 'The DICK' Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    I look at some of the overpasses on our freeway system and they seem to crumble every few years...
    From detnews.com: Are 360 bridges safe?
    The inspections mark a shift from earlier claims by MDOT in which Richard M. Smith, manager of the state bridge inspection program, told The Detroit News that as many as 1,300 bridges statewide may have been built using faulty concrete during eight years in the 1970s.
    I recall a more detailed article about the problem but I can't find it now. It was some experimental concrete. Major expense to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    From detnews.com: Are 360 bridges safe?I recall a more detailed article about the problem but I can't find it now. It was some experimental concrete. Major expense to fix.
    Continuously Reinforced Concrete...it was an attempt to try to avoid having to put in the periodic expansion/contraction joints. Michigan winters tore it up pretty fast.

These ads are being broadcasted HEAVILY on the west side of the state where people do not know the true story. Matty is hoping to fill their heads with the idea that the "DRIC" is just another bailout for Detroit using their tax money. What a fucking sleaze ball.

I've seen this ad twice just today on Cincinnati TV. Not quite sure why the ad is on here [[Northwest Ohio might make sense, but Southwest Ohio??? This is a Michigan issue).

Oh well, the ad [[IMO) actually does a good job in getting Moroun's point across to people who don't know what's REALLY going on.
    Last edited by MrNittany; March-18-11 at 02:58 PM.

The Brooklyn Bridge will be 128 years old this year. With proper maintenance, a suspension bridge can last indefinitely.

9mile&seneca Guest

I saw the add in Savannah. If I hadn't known the story even I would have seen it Matty's way. Makes you think...

I was wondering about the effects of salt water versus fresh water on bridge... the Brooklyn Bridge is in salt water.

Then I came across this Wiki article about replacing only part of the Oakland Bay Bridge of circa 1935-36 [[by San Francisco)... the cantilevered sections need to be replaced due to earthquake possibilities. But now look at the final price.... $6 Billion!! for only partial replacement of the entire bridge??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern...and_Bay_Bridge

muskie1 Guest

I have to think that the new bridge with all the state and federal involvement wil also run into huge cost overages. We will have a new bridge competing against a paid for bridge. I think Manny could slash tolls greatly to sway people into using his bridge and once again the taxpayer will be the one footing the bill.

From Naples, Florida:

That ad has been running down here for several days, primarily on Fox News although I saw it on a local station as well. Puzzling to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    From Naples, Florida:

That ad has been running down here for several days, primarily on Fox News although I saw it on a local station as well. Puzzling to say the least.
    lots of snowbirds/absentee voters down there. I have family with a place in Sarasota. They've seen it too.

I don't understand it. They run it in Wisconsin all the time too.

"toll road news" thinks its a bad idea? I'm so surprised....

My buddy in El Paso Texas told me they show this all the time there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast