Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Want to see where all your neighbors are moving to?

Thanks for that! That is very dramatic.

"Screw this shit, I'm moving to Alaska."

NorthEndere Guest

Nice! Though, I'm having a hard time re-centering it if that is possible.

Although they clearly admit it's not a definitive source, it does give you a rough idea of migration. It would seem that contrary to population belief, Metro Detroiters aren't fleeing to Chicago in droves, rather, it seems the usual suspects [[i.e. the rest of Michigan, Metro Atlanta and coastal and central Florida).

I was a bit surprised clicking on Wayne County that while the out-migration isn't surprising, there seems to be a strange in-migration from the Hampton Roads area in Virginia and some in-migration from the UP and the Thumb that I wasn't quite expecting. There is also some random county in Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post

Although they clearly admit it's not a definitive source, it does give you a rough idea of migration. It would seem that contrary to population belief, Metro Detroiters aren't fleeing to Chicago in droves, rather, it seems the usual suspects [[i.e. the rest of Michigan, Metro Atlanta and coastal and central Florida).

I was a bit surprised clicking on Wayne County that while the out-migration isn't surprising, there seems to be a strange in-migration from the Hampton Roads area in Virginia and some in-migration from the UP and the Thumb that I wasn't quite expecting. There is also some random county in Kansas.
    The migration into Wayne County from Hampton Roads is due to the Ford Plant in Norfolk VA being closed. A few hundred people chose to move to Detroit area instead of taking a buy-out.

NorthEndere Guest

It was in the back of my mind that it might have been due to some automative thing. Same thing happened in Lansing, last year, where about 600 or so workers from Spring Hill in Tennessee [[as well as a few dozen from Flint) transfered up there to GM's Lansing Delta Township along with any family members that came. That happened in 2010, though, so it wouldn't show up on this map.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-14-11 at 06:32 AM.

Florida = retirees

There is a red line [[i.e. net out migration) going from Detroit to Chicago... But there is a red line going from Detroit to just about everywhere. If you click on Chicago, nearly all lines coming from Michigan are black.

Pretty cool map.

Absolutely fascinating!

Mr. Houdini Guest

I'm in that number. Moved my family from Royal Oak, MI to Charlotte, NC. couple years ago.

Colorado seems like a relatively safe place to move. Avalanches excluded...

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/

There is also some random county in Kansas.
    That's Sedgwick County, home to Wichita and airplane manufacturing. I suppose some ex-Big Three workers managed to hire on with Boeing.

wayne and oakland co look very similar in out-migration. I think we're in trouble collectively. Whether you're a die hard detroit fan or nestled in leafy oakland county we can't seem to bring many people into either. sigh.... we really need to get our shit together and bring in some fresh talent.

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If you click on Chicago, nearly all lines coming from Michigan are black.
    Yes, except Wayne County, which was my point.

DetroitDad Guest

Why do you think we are seeing an influx of residents moving from Virginia to Michigan?

NorthEndere Guest

Did you not read up the thread where there was a discussion about this? It's not like this is a long thread.