Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

Default Field Day

Quote Originally Posted by TONY BOX 42 View Post
    Redfordsinner , the public is welcome. No charge.Come and enjoy.
    Rocko: E.16 is the Fire Boat. The quarters in the photo is E.26 / L.14 .
    E.26 is out of service. L.14 has moved in with E.38.
    Plans are to repair the quarters. E.48's old quarters is
    privately owned. My GUESS is wrecking ball.
    Looking forward to running into a few of you at the field day. I'll be the tall bald guy with all the tattoos. Is box 42 doing anything special here? I'd like to get more info on joining. Thanks

I liked Field Day at the Zoo much better than Ford Field. It was ok for the lil ones but they should have had refreshments set up closer to the field [[we never did find them)...it was a much more relaxed atmosphere, which made for better mingling, at the Zoo

Ford Field? Zoo?

I remember the days when it was at Tiger Stadium.

I remember way back when it was at Camp Dearborn...THAT was really nice. Everyone brought food, the FFs BBQd, we had games [[usually the dads against the kids...kids always won), the kids got together and tried their hand at "the hose", and we were free to roam about. That was way back when we pretty much all lived in the same neighborhoods and went to the same schools. Everyone knew everyone...

Hey DT, pass this on to your dad.
    http://communitypress.cincinnati.com...EWS/907310324/
    Thur. was my last day on the job.

D.F.D. Congradulations !! Enjoy your retirment. How can you give up that
    beautiful Seagrave ? Make sure the "Youngster " who takes your spot
    realizes what a great rig he is getting.
    Detroitteacher : Did Dad spilt with you , or keep it all to himself?

DFD: Congrats on the retirement. Have fun fishing

Tony: Dad gave me 50 bucks! I tried to get Jon to give it all to me and I'd give it to dad but no such luck . He was pretty shocked he won...he never wins anything.

Thanks DT and Tony

Hey Tony, that's a 93 Seagrave with 145,000 miles. When it rains, we[[they) have to cover the radios and computer with towels.

Default My contribution to the thread.

My Grandfather, Tony Cortese

Attachment 2588

Attachment 2589

Attachment 2590

J.J. Good photos of your Grandfather and some classic rigs.
    Second photo is an Ahrens Fox with a Roto Ray.
    Third photo is the Boat Tender.
    DFD: That Seagrave ain't even broke in yet.
    " SEAGRAVE , Worlds Finest Fire Apparatus "
    So, now that you are retired and fishing, How big was
    that last one that got away?
    Redfordsinner: I was able to read your message.Check the BOX 42
    web site for date,time and location
    Ray : Boiling Expanding Liquid Vapor Explosion.Too
    complicated for me. I defer to the expert, Birwood.
    Detroitteacher: Ford Motor, Ford Field ,Detroit Lions bent over backwards
    for the Fund. They could not bend the rules with the
    food venders. Food is not allowed on the Field.
    Did you come down on the Field ?
    That 's where we all were.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcortese View Post
    My Grandfather, Tony Cortese

Attachment 2588

Attachment 2589

Attachment 2590

JJ was the last picture taken in front of his house? I remember when my dad would do the occasional swing by the house with his rig it was always a good attention getter in the neighboorhood. All the kids would really get a kick out of it

Tony: I was on the field. It was great for the lil ones [[except the bathrooms were way up yonder and when a wee one has to go, that's a LONG way up!). I did like all the activities for the kids, though. Just wish there were chairs and such on the field to sit down and chit chat. That's what I liked about the zoo, could eat and chat, watch the clowns...overall, it was a nice day but I just much prefered the zoo.

I have to agree with you. It was a long trip from the field to the bathrooms and consessions.
    Maybe we can work on a solution for next year.

Tony, I went fishing and the little ones wouldn't even steal the bait! I'm calling that place the dead sea.

DT [[and everyone), did you see this?:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...roit_fire_boat

That is sad news about the fireboat. Dad was on the boat for a bit. Funny story about the boat and my son...

My son and his class [[3rd grade or so) were on a field trip and they saw the fireboat in the water [[the field trip had nothing to do with the boat or the fire dept). My son proudly announced that the boat was his grandpa's boat [[my dad had taken my son to the boat many times). The teacher told him not to tell "stories" and chastized him. My son was upset that the teacher didn't believe him. I talked to her and told her that yes, that was my dad's boat when he was on duty. She was ashamed she didn't believe my son and apologized. My dad then went, in uniform, to my son's school and was a guest speaker for the class. He told them all about the fireboat [[and about being a fireman) and how important it is. The kids all wrote thank you letters to my dad.

I'll be sad to see the boat go...

Buy American Guest

It's very sad, this boat is essential on the Detroit River. It's even sadder when Bing is giving all his cronies hefty pay raises and turning around and asking for pay and benefit concessions. In my opinion, Bing is just another thug in a different suit.

I too feel that it would be a mistake to allow the fireboat to cease operation so early this year. The boat is on hand for the hydroplane and Red Bull air races, and also took place in the search for a person in the water this past weekend. However, when the last time was they responded and then assisted with the put-out of a real fire is not something I know. Does the city of Windsor have some kind of agreement with Detroit, since the fireboat can respond to emergencies on the Canadian side of the river, and has no fireboat of its own?

Still, all this said, I wonder how good of a use of the city's money this is.... I personally witnessed them cruising up and down the river several times this weekend, shooting their hoses off at nothing in particular and buring fuel. Now, I think it looks great when they're out there with the hoses going, but if the tax payers dime is paying for it.... well?

Default Photo collection

I have spent the better part of my summer weekends photographing all of the operating firehouses in the City of Detroit. The project was completed last weekend, and the photos are assembled in a set on flickr.com. The photos are in chronological order of when the firestation was built. I'm still working on the narratives for each photo, but thought you would enjoy seeing them now. Go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/41247026@N04/sets/

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post
    I have spent the better part of my summer weekends photographing all of the operating firehouses in the City of Detroit. The project was completed last weekend, and the photos are assembled in a set on flickr.com. The photos are in chronological order of when the firestation was built. I'm still working on the narratives for each photo, but thought you would enjoy seeing them now. Go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/41247026@N04/sets/
    Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Cosine: Great photos! Thanks for sharing. The poor 10-4 looks so sad with Ladder 4 missing! Brought back some great memories of going to work with dad to pick up his check/hang out/eat/laugh. While his all time fav was the 10-4 [[they had the best cooks, so says dad), he was also at Ladder 22 [[for many years) and Joy and Southfield [[I can't recall which house it is), among others.

Dfd : Fatten them up for next time.
    DetroitTeacher: Great story ! I will add that to my collection.
    Joy Rd. & Ashton, E.55,L27,Ch.2 and Medic 2
    Cosine: Good set of photos.You put a lot of time into them.
    Everybody: We go through this every year with the boat. Hopefully money will become
    available. The boat is an asset for the entire river front, both sides.
    A few years back the boat put out the fire at the vacant river front Holiday
    Inn in Windsor. The boat has also been used to keep Cobo open
    when there is trouble with the fire pumps.The boat was used at the Rouge
    after the exploson and fire.If any of you remember the fire on Jefferson in
    Trenton , the boat and the Tender supplied an unlimited water supply when the
    mains could no longer meet the demand.

Thanks Tony! Dad was Chief 2 for a long time...

I forgot to mention in my initial post that the most fun part of taking photographs of the fire stations was doing them all by bicycle. I certainly learned a boatload of information about the city's variety of neighborhoods.

Default Fire Muster 2009

michigan firehouse museum fire truck muster 2009
    saturday, august 29 from 10 to 3 near the museum in riverside park, ypsilanti

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast