Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lighthouses in Michigan

Can anyone recommend a lighthouse in Michigan where you can spend the night? Are the prices reasonable, how do you book a night?

Big Bay and and Sand Hill are B&B's....both are nice, Big Bay is said to be haunted....Mmmmm Fun Most of the others are either museums, tourist attractions or private residents. I think there is one more, but can't remember which one. Most have websites where you can check the prices. Here are the links

http://www.bigbaylighthouse.com/index.html
    http://www.exploringthenorth.com/sandhills/inn.html

There are a total of 116 on Michigan shores, some are mearly ruins.....total on Great Lakes 332.

Have fun....I've been to and photographed all but 16 of them and they are all unique in there own way. My photo link: http://parrino.smugmug.com/Architect...69811832_byNbX
    Last edited by Searay215; March-13-11 at 02:04 PM.

Google found a bunch of them.

Sounds like a fun experience. Don't forget binoculars! [[On second thought, what lighthouse wouldn't keep a pair on hand?)

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    [...]There are a total of 116 on Michigan shores, some are mearly ruins.....total on Great Lakes 332. [...] I've been to and photographed all but 16 of them and they are all unique in there own way. My photo link: http://parrino.smugmug.com/Architect...69811832_byNbX
    Beautiful photos, Searay!! Your excellent pic of Port Sanilac light brought back many memories.

My great-grandfather did much of the ironwork for this one, now maintained by a private group:

When I was a kid, it looked like this:

[[The smokestack was for a generator in the house-like structure.)

Thank you for sharing your pictures

I would highly recommend the Big Bay Point Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast. Breathtaking beauty! My husband and I stayed there on a fall weekend years ago. The wind howled all night long over Lake Superior. We awoke to a beautiful snowfall and were able to go on a wilderness trek with a local guy, Jeff, who took us all over the area with walking sticks [[I soon learned what they were for!) where we saw waterfalls, streams and the Huron Mountains in the most picturesque setting I've ever seen. We ate warm pasties while viewing his friends octoganal shaped cabin that overlooked the mountains. It was amazing!
    The lighthouse is warm, cozy, historical and, supposedly...haunted! Maybe those howling winds weren't winds at all???
    I hope to be able to go back one day, but definitely recommend it to anyone reading this!

Sea Ray, your shots are amazing.May I share them with my friends and family on Facebook?
    Some of those pix made me ache with homesickness for Michigan ...

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    Sea Ray, your shots are amazing.May I share them with my friends and family on Facebook?
    Some of those pix made me ache with homesickness for Michigan ...
    Thank you, I used to do art shows with my work, now just for fun. Yes you can share it with anyone who wants to enjoy the beautiful scenic views of Michigan.