Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default They Called It China Syndrome...

...because the assumption was the failure would be in an American nuclear facility.

With the disaster in Japan causing more than a few of their nuclear reactors to head towards melt-down...I had to check to see what the opposite of the world would be from them.

It is in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of South America.

Then I looked, and China isn't opposite the US...go figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Syndrome

At least, some have said, if they release radioactive steam...like the operators of Three Mile Island did, and apparently also Chernobyl...it could affect radiation levels all over the world.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/RadiationNetwork.htm
    Last edited by Gannon; March-12-11 at 11:48 AM.

Has it crossed your mind, as it has mine, that the future of that area and more might be hanging right now on the efforts of about 10 dudes, already poisoned with radiation, currently manning manual pumps with hoses in order to get seawater to cool down the reactor ? [[I don't know that, but it unfortunately ain't much of a stretch).

Never thought in specifics, Bonger, that's not how my mind works...I'm more conceptual, and when I heard of the troubles with one reactor...and then it became FOUR...something clicked in my brain.

I hadn't even THOUGHT of that old movie in many years, and barely considered Chernobyl...if it weren't for those photographs [[that were supposedly debunked, or at least the story of how they were taken, according to Snopes) done by that motorcycle rider...it would be a distant memory.

Oddly, someone mentioned that Edgar Cayce had some specific prophecy about Japan as a signal of the end of the age timing...and another friend who is an ex-Mason told me that in his Oaspe--the 'bible' they study [[which has a curious automatic-writing origination, not unlike Cayce's work) also reads like the news today.

I don't know...I'm merely the data gatherer and trend-spotter.

I certainly don't WANT more disaster, but awoke yesterday with a feeling in my gut that was similar to 9/11. Turned the radio on and THEN heard about the news of Japan. Was in an odd meditative prayer state all morning, before I got released from that and was able to get on with my day.

I wish I could explain any of it...but I cannot.

Sincerely,
    John

What were you praying to? Or was your meditation more a depressive mood as you considered the possible consequences of the Japan earthquake?

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    What were you praying to? Or was your meditation more a depressive mood as you considered the possible consequences of the Japan earthquake?

If ANYONE can say definitively 'what' they ever pray to...I'd call them assumers at the very least. I cannot name whatever receives or responds to my verbal discussions and have no clear understanding of mechanism involved...I merely live the results.

I wonder if anyone was ever able to define that with the Mayo Clinic's derogatorily-named faith studies...which were reported to have proven that those who are 'prayed for' heal quicker and better.

I dunno. When I follow my gut instinct, as one can commonly call an ethereal prompting without full ridicule from the non-god subset of the population, seeming miracles happen. I detailed some on another thread here recently.

Heck, my own SISTER used to marvel at what happened around my mother and I when we would pray about anything.

I once concertedly prayed for a few weeks about a casual friend's predicament...he'd lost his job, wife was filing divorce, his phone & electrical/gas had been turned off...and his landlord in Hamtramck was kicking him out.

This was during the first Gulf War, because I remember those eerie green images on the television down in the laundry room of the basement apartment building I lived in at the time in Boston/Edison.

His boss rehired him, his wife decided to wait and then reunited with him, he got his flat back [[all within days of each other)...but the miracle was that BOTH the phone and elecrical/gas companies rehooked the services WITHOUT ANY DEPOSIT. That was a first, in my experience, and has never happened again.

My own landlord in LA decided to break the lease I had JUST resigned when I decided to return to Detroit after 9/11. I'll never forget his words, "I've never done this before, and probably never will again, but for some reason I am compelled to do it for you now." The manager was STUNNED, he had directly said it wasn't even worth the attempt.

The so-called rational mind searches out reasons for these, as specious as they sound to one who disbelieves in anything outside our blatant-five-sense perception. I say the reasons some folks settle for to DISBELIEVE in prayer are WAY more specious!

My car got unstable and crossed the centerline of M28 a number of years ago, on a lonely rainy/foggy night, straight at the first car of a lineup of idiots who never learned about safe following distances. I remember it being maybe five or six car-lengths away, I was driving at least 50 and they must've been going at least 40mph. I closed my eyes and literally prayed, "this is IT, here I come, do with me what you will".

And there was NO impact. Nothing.

I am still quite disturbed about that one.

Two days later, my car fell off the jack, near the Mackinaw Bridge in the UP...with my left hand on top of the spare tire as I positioned it for the Audi bolt pattern to line up. It BOUNCED and I was able to jerk my hand out with nothing more than a tiny line-welt across the backside. It should've crushed all of the bones in my hand.

But when I got back up from jerking my hand out, I noticed the car was BALANCING on top of the spare. All I had to do was reposition the jack, screw it up again, put the spare on...and go on my way. Marvelling at my left hand the whole drive home.

Got the second flat when I drove into the parking lot of my tuner in Farmington Hills. The tires had been wasted by a horribly-done alignment. I still have them in my storage unit, along with that spare, because I intend on making an art project out of them to back up the story.

As for the 'mood', the feeling in my gut was there from the moment I awoke. I KNEW something different was going to happen that day. Had the same feeling when I woke up on 9/11. Had the same feeling when I touched the doorknob of my ex-brother-in-law's apartment when my minivan had been broken into during Christmastime in Chicago on the way to celebrate with my then-wife's family in Minneapolis. It allowed me to be calm while everyone else freaked out.

I cannot explain these things, nor do I wish to. As curious as my mind is...as much knowledge I seek out...I now only claim that there is some 'other' outside our blatant five senses that apparently works on our behalf if and when we choose to engage It. That is all I can know.

I also know that the Earth is a special place, and this very creative 'other' is not in direct control over the experiment. It has allowed another class of sentient beings to run the show. Most religion has it backwards, then is at a loss when pain or suffering or worse arrives. As far as I can tell, some of that is merely from natural causes, but inter-human control and other negatives seems influenced in some way by a nefarious negative class of beings that seems to 'feed' off negative human reactions.

I've taken part in what may be called exorcisms where the person has had remarkable immediate changes in behavior...and have seen prayer make a direct change in a situation. I've also lived through trends which simply do NOT respond to prayer, or the answer is a l-o-n-g time coming.

I do not have any idea why this is so. Again, I do not care to know.

I am living NOW some very direct answers to prayers pled in private desperation over my very public downward spiral of clinical depression. At least one that was a joke [[done in humor, since even in my worst of dark and confusing times, I never lost my relations with this Other), but apparently this 'god' [[or whatever anyone wants to call It) took it in earnest.

I cannot explain any of it. I know it is real, though, and recommend it for anyone who dares try.

I am also well aware of how these words will land with skeptics, and cannot be concerned how much vitriol they will spit in reply. I've a few 'fans' out there who seem to hang on my every word and lash out with such spite...it makes one wonder what spirit THEY are infected with! LOL.

Sincerely,
    John

I hear you.
    Many years ago, I was walking down Conner street or the next street over, a couple blocks south of East Jefferson. A carload of thugs wheeled up in front of me, jumped out and demanded me to hand over my cash. Unfortunately for them, another group had already robbed me about five minutes earlier just past the party store that used to be on the corner on Jefferson.
    I explained that to them and they asked me what they looked like and what they were driving. I told them what kind of car they were driving and the direction they took off in.
    Then I thought, Holy shit, I hope they're not going to kill me. Just like that, they looked at each other and jumped back in their car. As they pulled away from the curb, I'm assuming to chase down my/their money, a guy in the back seat looked at me and said, "Thanks man."
    I felt truly blessed. Robbed twice in less than 15 minutes and everyone was polite.
    I can't explain it. Maybe I was just having a good day.

And to think of how much I used to goad my mother about getting ME to the planet too late to enjoy all the stuff y'all discuss on the Mansion thread...more I think about it, we had our troubles on the west side with the gangs, too.

Hey, it's just been really slow around here lately.

A location that is on the exact opposite side of the earth from any location is called the antipode. Probably lots of you knew that, but I wasn't aware of the pronounciation of it until recently.

I would have just said "anti-pode", but it' is pronounced An-tip'-odee [[accent on second syllable).

Curious, eh?

That's my new word for the day, Ray! Thanks.

Sorry, But the China crisis theory would never happen. The core might start melting into the ground, however it would never get any further than the center of the earth. The only force acting on the core is gravity. When the core got to a certain depth it would stop due to gravity being equal in all directions.

So not only is it miss named, it is also impossible due to the nature of physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A location that is on the exact opposite side of the earth from any location is called the antipode. Probably lots of you knew that, but I wasn't aware of the pronounciation of it until recently.

I would have just said "anti-pode", but it' is pronounced An-tip'-odee [[accent on second syllable).

Curious, eh?
    Are you sure Ray? "The antipode of Heaven" is mentioned here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwq4jE8O1o

The point remains, though, what this additional mass would DO when it encountered whatever there IS in the core of our planet. Are you so bold to think you know, N?!

Hell, they don't even know what causes gravity in the first place. Nor the atomic force. Or life itself.

But they sure like to fuck with it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The point remains, though, what this additional mass would DO when it encountered whatever there IS in the core of our planet.
    Uranium's pretty heavy. In a molten [[liquid) core, I'd expect the heaviest elements to "gravitate" there. So does Uranium ever reach "critical mass" there [[the concentration necessary to sustain a chain reaction causing a big BANG)? Maybe convection currents stir it up. Still, over time, I'd think Uranium would concentrate there.

I seem to recall that [[for a chain reaction) Carbon is necessary too to slow down neutrons, making them more likely to hit Uranium nuclei. Maybe without the lighter Carbon at the core, the planet can't become a giant atomic bomb!

[[Sorry, I'm feeling a bit goofy tonight.)
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-14-11 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Sorry, But the China crisis theory would never happen. The core might start melting into the ground, however it would never get any further than the center of the earth. The only force acting on the core is gravity. When the core got to a certain depth it would stop due to gravity being equal in all directions.

So not only is it miss named, it is also impossible due to the nature of physics.
    Unless it had a tremendous amount of momentum! LOL! [[But that wouldn't happen.)

Curious how the force of gravity approaches zero at the very center of the planet and is at maximum at the surface.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-14-11 at 08:12 PM.

What are you, Jules Verne?!

When did anyone ever travel to the center of the Earth? LOL.

That is all scientific speculation, it is their best guess. I think it is a weak one, too!

Nobody knows what is deeper than about 7 or 8 miles of the nearly 4,000 miles of the planet's radius, or depth to center of the sphere. That is from drilling and core samples. Deepest any human has been is less than half that!

Who are WE foolin'?!

What DO we really know about any of this?

But, as I said before, we are SO willing to fuck with it all. LOL. <sigh>

That is all scientific speculation, it is their best guess. I think it is a weak one, too!
    You're right except that was my best guess, not theirs. I've never heard that from anyone else. Yes, it is a weak one too. Hey, I said I was in a goofy mood!

Seriously though, the last theory I heard about the core of the planet was that it was molten Nickel and all they know about it is from studying how earthquake waves refract through the planet. Interesting technique but not much information to go on as far as forming conclusions. Shame, that.

Oh, you're along with the bulk of published theory, then.

Exactly on that seismic analysis. I caught ONE honest scientist who was able to admit that they simply don't know.

Same with what causes gravity.

Same with what causes the core of the atom to stick together, let alone those flighty electrons!

Same with life itself.

Then they all DARE to bludgeon any of us who doubt the rest of their analysis. All based on assumptions that they cannot prove.

I'm the bad guy for bringing it up, LOL.

Cheers

Vox Guest

Oh, you\'re along with the bulk of published theory, then.

Exactly on that seismic analysis. I caught ONE honest scientist who was able to admit that they simply don\'t know.

Same with what causes gravity.

Cheers
    As you may know, all things are either positive or negative, yin/yang, correct? So consider the dark matter that is in the universe. This dark matter should be of both negative and positive elements. My theory of this is that both positive and negative dark matter aggregated to produce the sun, and the surrounding planets, More positive than negative though, so when the stars and planets formed, the positive influences create gravity by acting on the negative electrons within everything. Opposites attract. More mass, more weight, but a feather will attract just as fast as a cannonball, due to equality of force. This also explains the motion of the galaxies, continually expanding. The preponderance of leftover dark matter, I believe, is negative. This is drawing the galaxies farther apart by attraction of the positive force in normal matter itself. Hope this helps some.

China Syndrome HAH! the world is dealing with the Japan Syndrome right after the Soviet Syndrome.