Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking to give funding to a project

That's right! somebody is actually looking to give funding to a project in Detroit-

Looking for renovation projects within the city aimed at boosting the community.

drop your ideas or suggestions on this thread and soon!

Much love for the D!

Sounds awesome! Some colleagues of mine and I are in the process of putting together a real estate development, with limited funding...

What are the terms of this grant and who is the source?

Much love for the D!

Georgia Street Community Collective is trying to raise funds to install a furnace and duct work for the computer lab and library.
    www.georgiastreetcc.com
    www.georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com

Thanks guys. I cannot go into much detail just yet. Keep the suggestions coming.

Hans, does your real estate have a direct community connection/benefit?

How about implementing one of the two US Bike Route corridors designated for Detroit? If you're interested indicate on the thread and I will give you an off-blog way to get in touch.

mike:

The Georgia Street rehabilitation project will have a direct benefit to the community surrounding it. We are planning to provide an educational safe-haven for both youth and adults. Cub mentioned needed money for the furnace, but there is more required to bring this portion of the building into usable space. We have books for a library and an Eagle Scout has chosen us for his project and will hopefully be providing shelving for the books. We need money for insulation and drywall as well. Lights, furniture and appliances are also on our wish list.

The multi-purpose room was completed with the help of a generous benefactor and donations from other individuals. But there simply wasn't enough to finish the other half of the project. The youth of the Georgia Street neighborhood need our help. We can make a difference!

Prof Scott, thanks for the suggestion. As a biker myself I would love to see the funding go to this but the request is for a more construction/rehab project of a building.

I wonder if fort Wayne has anything in the pipelines or even a building on belle isle...

Here is a group that could really use more help. Especially after the tragedy they were faced with this morning.

http://detnews.com/article/20110310/...for-TV-program

Sorry not buying into the secretiveness. All of the above suggestions are so worthy.

Being coy, sooo, does not play with me.

If Grumpyoldlady was not already someone elses screen name, I would use it now!

DetroitDad Guest

I loved your early work, Mike D.

To DY, I suggest communicating through private message.

I just wanted to post one last time to get this up to the top. Still a little bit of time left.

Pardon the secretiveness. I agree the ideas above are excellent suggestions, however it is not my decision to make.

The more options I can discover here on Detroityes the greater chance the project will take place within the city I love.

m

I am putting together the rest of a PA system to be used for small-scale projects and meetings.

I've most of the parts, but still lack speakers and stands.

The whole will be available for meetings and small music/art productions, as I suggested for the Soup meetup when they lacked the ability to be heard throughout their crowd.

I've a very long history of donating my time and energy to worthwhile causes, from community concerts to the film group down in Eastern Market before they had to close.

Haven't ever considered getting outside help officially, but MOST of the equipment has been donated and lent to me...

It feels weird even asking.

LodgeDodger Guest

Preservation Wayne

I support Georgia Street Community Center renovation project

Hamtown Mike-

Sorry that I missed this up until now and I hope there is still tiem left. Please put us on the list!! Fort Wayne could certainly use any help you can give us. Please feel free to pm me and we can disucss this further as we have a number of projects that would fit the description that you are providing. Thanks, too, for the shout out!

Res

I'm thinking that Mike is looking for investment ideas with no intent of providing funds.
    It's called idea mining.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    That's right! somebody is actually looking to give funding to a project in Detroit-

Looking for renovation projects within the city aimed at boosting the community.
    Andrew Carnegie used his own money to build 1,700 public libraries across the US. There's been numerous threads here on trying to raise funds to revive some of these now shuttered libraries. How about donating that money to restore a public library.

Here's a group that wants to save the Mark Twain LIbrary on Gratiot http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=204114801866

do a skyline park on the abandoned elevated rail line that runs behind MCS. For reference, see High Line, NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_[[New_York_City)

kinda like Dequindre Cut, but elevated, and on the best side, the westside.

All of the options posted thus far are good, but I wanted to add one more.

Last year, the State Historic Preservation Office and the City Planning Commission launched an effort to identify vacant DPS buildings that would good for reuse. They identified two options: Kosciusko Elementary on the west side and another one of the east.

They then sponsored a series of meetings with community stakeholders in each neighborhood. Residents, business owners, churches, and other non-profits were all invited in to give their thoughts on what their respective communities needed. More importantly, they looked at how these vacant buildings could be used to solve some of the problems that the communities currently face.

Architects and planners from the University of Michigan's Detroit Community Design Center facilitated these meetings. They eventually prepared a preliminary report that offered a specific set of recommendations for each site.

The location on the east side is currently in the hands of a private developer, leaving Kosciusko on the west side available.

I'm currently working with Preservation Wayne on a fundraising plan for Kosciusko. However, if anyone else wants to jump in, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/search/label/Kosciusko

If the funding is LARGE, then we need a community flat-glass manufacturing facility.

It would allow many, many endeavors to follow...like reuse of existing broken glass from abandoned building abuse and smash-n-grab vehicle thefts.

We could force those convicted of those crimes to collect the glass, and the worse they offend...the closest to the furnace fires they have to work.

But to my estimate, flat glass would be THE single most important self-made product Detroit City could create...and I've just the fellow who could help us make it happen, one of my clients up in Holly owns a manufacturing company he bought back from Guardian. I am certain he would help with this project.

I can see it now...Detroit-brand Greenhouses...which we'd force Hantz to use if he chooses to use Genetically Modified seedstock and petrol-based fertilizers and pesticides. Buildings rebuilt...or at least SECURED with new windows. Even Detroit-brand solar panels.

And my friend Greg gets some raw materials to test his sustainable building designs.

Plus, I think an annual Detroit trinket souvenir should be made from all those Detroit Diamonds...
    Last edited by Gannon; March-12-11 at 09:38 AM.