Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Join the demonstration March 12! End Utility Shutoffs

The Committee Against Utility Shutoffs has called a mass demonstration on Saturday, March 12 in Detroit to demand an immediate end to all utility shutoffs. Gas and electricity must be social rights guaranteed to everyone. The working class must organize independently to fight for these rights, to fight for a society based on social need not private profit.

CAUS calls on all Detroit-area workers and youth, and all those who want to fight against utility shutoffs, to participate in this demonstration. Join the CAUS! Spread the word by email and social networking sites. Bring your family, coworkers and friends.

The demonstration will be held at 8011 Dexter Avenue in Detroit. For more information, maps, and leaflets visit www.stopshutoffs.org/demonstration or reply to this email.

All out for the March 12 demonstration!

Committee Against Utility Shutoffs

313-643-5026 * caus.detroit@gmail.com * www.stopshutoffs.org

yayyy! free gas and electricity for freeloaders everywhere!

Why is ok for everyone else to pay their utilities bills, but we should rally for lazy ass people to get it for free. Sounds like communism to me.

Although I sympathize with the many people who are struggling to keep their bills paid during this time, I do not believe that making it impossible for the utilities to shut off service to those who don't pay their bills is a good idea.

There are many service organizations and other programs out there to help people who have a difficult time. If you take away the ability to shut off service, the rest of the "paying customers" will have to make up for the difference. The utility companies certainly are not going to eat the cost. And, if you let some people continue to have service with paying, more and more people will not pay their bills.

Sorry...but I totally disagree with this cause...

I want whatever you're smoking. I paid my utility bills for over 40 yrs, why don't you suggest that novel approach to your "friends".

If you think I was independently wealthy all those years, think again.
    Last edited by mikefmich; March-10-11 at 08:24 AM.

I didn't hear even one mention of anything FREE...just the right to have it.
    Ever have MAJOR problems in your life?
    Lose a job, need surgery, no insurance ?
    Anything like that? Do you have any elderly relatives, or know anyone that does?
    Are you ignoring the plight of the poor?
    Next time you're all dressed up, and sitting in your nice smelling Church,
    and thinking to yourself, "I'm doing pretty good Lord." "Forgive me my sins,
    and thank you for ALL I have.".....just remember Jesus said, "Give away all
    you have, and follow me." He meant, don't think all you have is all important.
    HIS WAY is what is important. Don't be so afraid to give just a little more,
    to those in need. We will all have a moment, sometime, when we will need
    the kindness of a stranger, to help us through.
    I'm not saying, "Cast your pearls before the swine." Yes, there are deadbeats
    out there, for sure. Let God judge them, lest ye be judged yourself.
    PS., Are you saying you side with the Large, thieving, ruthless, utilities companies?
    If so, I guess you've never felt you were overpaying for any services you've
    been receiving. Especially when companies like ENRON, convince all their
    employees to invest in their stocks, knowing they're about to go belly up.
    Or your beloved General Motors...who got their 'bail out' and ran as fast as they could to build more factories in China, only to declare Bankruptcy, and screw
    their shareholders out of their investments.
    Are these the companies you're championing?
    I'm pretty sure the little guy needs more help.
    Again...NOT FREE....just a small frikkin' break, here and there.
    Put yourself in the less fortunate' shoes, for just a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    The Committee Against Utility Shutoffs has called a mass demonstration on Saturday, March 12 in Detroit to demand an immediate end to all utility shutoffs. Gas and electricity must be social rights guaranteed to everyone. The working class must organize independently to fight for these rights, to fight for a society based on social need not private profit.

CAUS calls on all Detroit-area workers and youth, and all those who want to fight against utility shutoffs, to participate in this demonstration. Join the CAUS! Spread the word by email and social networking sites. Bring your family, coworkers and friends.

The demonstration will be held at 8011 Dexter Avenue in Detroit. For more information, maps, and leaflets visit www.stopshutoffs.org/demonstration or reply to this email.

All out for the March 12 demonstration!

Committee Against Utility Shutoffs

313-643-5026 * caus.detroit@gmail.com * www.stopshutoffs.org
    Also, join the Committee Against Car Repossession for a similar rally. Time and location to be determined.

The CACR demands an immediate end to all car repossessions. Automobiles must be social rights guaranteed to everyone. The working class must organize independently to fight for these rights, to fight for a society based on social need not private profit.

CACR calls on all Detroit-area workers and youth, and all those who want to fight against car repossessions, to participate in this demonstration. Join the CACR! Spread the word by email and social networking sites. Bring your family, coworkers and friends.

We're also working on:

CACCLC - Committee Against Credit Card Limits and Collections
    CAHMPP - Committee Against Home Mortgage Payment Processing
    CAPFGG - Committee Against Paying For Gas and Groceries
    CAHTPMCPASTVB - Committee Against Having To Pay My Cell Phone AND SATELLITE TV BILLS.

Brought to you by the committee to elect Jimmy McMillan of the "Rent is Too Damn High Party".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    I didn't hear even one mention of anything FREE...just the right to have it.
    Ever have MAJOR problems in your life?
    Lose a job, need surgery, no insurance ?
    Anything like that? Do you have any elderly relatives, or know anyone that does?
    Are you ignoring the plight of the poor?
    Next time you're all dressed up, and sitting in your nice smelling Church,
    and thinking to yourself, "I'm doing pretty good Lord." "Forgive me my sins,
    and thank you for ALL I have.".....just remember Jesus said, "Give away all
    you have, and follow me." He meant, don't think all you have is all important.
    HIS WAY is what is important. Don't be so afraid to give just a little more,
    to those in need. We will all have a moment, sometime, when we will need
    the kindness of a stranger, to help us through.
    I'm not saying, "Cast your pearls before the swine." Yes, there are deadbeats
    out there, for sure. Let God judge them, lest ye be judged yourself.
    PS., Are you saying you side with the Large, thieving, ruthless, utilities companies?
    If so, I guess you've never felt you were overpaying for any services you've
    been receiving. Especially when companies like ENRON, convince all their
    employees to invest in their stocks, knowing they're about to go belly up.
    Or your beloved General Motors...who got their 'bail out' and ran as fast as they could to build more factories in China, only to declare Bankruptcy, and screw
    their shareholders out of their investments.
    Are these the companies you're championing?
    I'm pretty sure the little guy needs more help.
    Again...NOT FREE....just a small frikkin' break, here and there.
    Put yourself in the less fortunate' shoes, for just a moment.
    Well, it usually gets shut off if it's not paid for. So to leave it on without payment could be easily characterized as providing it for free. No?

No one is truly unsympathetic to the life difficulties affecting so many these days. But there are assistance programs available, and a fairly generic call to stop shutting off utilities sounds way too simplified and risky.

When shutoffs stop, I'd suspect fewer people actually WILL pay. Not much reason to. Those that then do pay will see major rate increases.

I believe the attention and fight should be to find ways to assist people in paying for their basic needs, and not to just provide these needs to everyone at no cost.
    Last edited by RedeemerKid; March-10-11 at 08:27 AM.

Very good retort. Very helpful. Seriously.
    Some people get in real deep though, real deep.
    I'm in deep...but I have means. Some don't.
    ....Just saying.
    Some situations ARE dire, believe me.
    Frikkin utilities are so expensive nowadays, you know.

Yeah this is a terrible idea. Trust me if there is no threat of shut off there are many people who will never pay their bills. I work for DHS and I know that a lot of people do not make a payment until they reach their annual limit on the amount that we pay each year for them. It is at $700 this year but last year we paid up to $1700.

I want to see a counter "Pay your damn bills" demonstration.

It used to be illegal to shut off necessary utilities during the winter months; I don't think it was a year round program. They'd shut you off as soon as it got warm enough so you and your children or elderly family members wouldn't freeze to death.

Incredible. Priorities everyone.

I continue to carry a number of people esp. through the winter months -- and my walk of faith gets wobbly at times but then I am reminded of the first chapter of James.

"Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and he will be given it. But he should ask in faith, not doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed about by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord, since he is a man of two minds, unstable in all his ways."

I've spent most of my life of two minds. Anybody got some good lottery numbers? All I need is a dollar and a dream. JK
    Last edited by Lt. Dan Bassett; March-10-11 at 09:09 AM.

Yes...I have been there. Spent many years struggling to keep the roof over my family's head and the utilities on. Those were my priorities.

I know that there are those who struggle. I know that there are the elderly and others who really have a problem stretching their income to cover the necessities. But I also know that there are many, many programs out there for those type of people. There are churches, charities, social groups and the utilities themselves who do what they can to help people.

But, I also know that many of the people who claim to be unable to pay their bills, really are able to pay. They just choose not to, because those things are not on their priority list. It's more important to buy new clothes, or pay for a cell phone, or buy jewelry, or buy illegal drugs, or whatever.

If those who LEGITIMATELY need assistance from T.H.A.W. or other agencies were the only ones getting the assistance, there would be plenty of money to help them. Because there are so many people who are scamming the system, the assistance funds are depleting.

I already help support those who are in need by paying my taxes, donating to social service agencies, volunteering in the City, and paying my bills so that the utility companies can keep their assistance funds in place.

But saying that shut-offs should be illegal is simply inviting those who scam the system to keeping scamming and teaching others to do the same.

I think we need to right size ourselves and not expect what we had in the past. If you now have problems paying your utilities you should cut off your cell phone, your cable, your internet. Look for ways to reduce your usage, this includes dialing down, adding insulation, addressing leaks, buying CFL bulbs, and using less water. If you still have problems paying your bills maybe you should bring in a room-mate or move in with family members.

Times are hard. They are not going to get appreciably better any time soon. We can't go on living like we have because costs are going up and wages are going down. If things continue to go in this direction, we will end up having poor houses again unless we have more people take responsibility and make changes in thier lifestyle.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-10-11 at 11:29 AM.

I have the solution.

Michigan legalizes marijuana!

Michigan makes marijuana a state monopoly!

Possession of non-Michigan approved marijuana is punishable by death.

Marijuana is priced high enough so that state profits will allow the "Michigan Marijuana Monopoly" to reimburse utility companies and landlords for the unpaid bills of people who cannot pay their rents or utilities.

What a concept!

So very progressive and compassionate.

For years I've set my thermostat at 64-66 degrees in the winter, to try to afford my heat. Then I visit in homes getting types of "assistance" and have a "hot flash" with their thermostat set 10+ degrees higher than mine, so that they can be toasty warm. I'm paying my bill, have to dress warm and keep a blanket nearby to cover up just to sit in my living room... And I'm also paying their bill [[through taxes, higher rates & a "surcharge" on my bill) so they can enjoy July temps in January!
    Can anyone make sense of this? I guess for some of us it's scrape to pay bills, and for others, it's gimme, gimme, gimme...

That's a valuable thought: If shut-offs were outlawed, would heat and electricity conservation be required? Two families on my street that I know of get some assistance like from THAW. Snow does not linger on their roofs, so heat rising up and going out at a great pace from their attics.

Me? I pay my own bills, keep my day-time tem at 63 degrees and nighttime at 57. I silicone caulk all my original windows every fall, weather strip my doors myself, had batt rolls of insulation installed in my attic, foamed the seam of my house myself, keep my hot water at a lower recommended temperature, etc. Snow stays on my roof for days [[but not long-enough for me)

What is the encouragement to conserve when you don't have to pay? And what will be the long-term effect on the environment is society doesn't encourage conservation in our city by allowing people to heat their houses at no charge?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That's a valuable thought: If shut-offs were outlawed, would heat and electricity conservation be required? Two families on my street that I know of get some assistance like from THAW. Snow does not linger on their roofs, so heat rising up and going out at a great pace from their attics.

Me? I pay my own bills, keep my day-time tem at 63 degrees and nighttime at 57. I silicone caulk all my original windows every fall, weather strip my doors myself, had batt rolls of insulation installed in my attic, foamed the seam of my house myself, keep my hot water at a lower recommended temperature, etc. Snow stays on my roof for days [[but not long-enough for me)

What is the encouragement to conserve when you don't have to pay? And what will be the long-term effect on the environment is society doesn't encourage conservation in our city by allowing people to heat their houses at no charge?
    When the price goes to zero, demand is unlimited.

Let me get this straight:

You want people who PAY their bills [[and make sacrifices to do so) to more than likely subsidize people who dont pay their bills? [[You know the costs have to be recouped from somewhere) This, in turn, will probably create more situations where people cant pay their bills, so then the remaining pool of payers have to subsidize them....

See the downward spiral here?

Its already bad enough the utility companies can't shut off people in the dead of winter, or the water department can't shut off your water if you have small children.

But to make shutting off peoples utilites off illegal, thats just wrong. How much more must we let these people run up their bills before it gets to the point where they can never dig themselves out of the debt?

Usually the only time some of these people end up do paying is when the bill collector is knocking at the door threatening disconnection.

What we need to do is go to the pre-paid model, like the Cell phone companies have in place. You pre-pay for so many units of electricity or gas, and when you run out, you pay for more.

But this is not something im going to support, I pay enough for utilities as it is. I am not paying for other peoples utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    What we need to do is go to the pre-paid model, like the Cell phone companies have in place. You pre-pay for so many units of electricity or gas, and when you run out, you pay for more.
    As a child in Britain , We had an electric meter in our home that took coins. You would have to feed the electric meter to get electricity. They would come out and empty the meter on a regular basis. Not sure if that system is still available there. Although, I know my aunt still had one in the late 80s.

Gas and electricity must be social rights guaranteed to everyone.
    Wrong.

They are commodities. You pay, you get them. You don't pay, you don't get them.

This attitude of entitlement is at the core of what is wrong with the city and its surrounding areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast