Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default The Film Exchange Building Remains

It looks like demolition is done in Foxtown for now. Trailers are beginning to cart away construction machinery, and the lots are being "landscaped". Does anyone else find it interesting that the seven story orange and white brick building [[Film Exchange Building) has remained? Doesn't Ilitch own that property, or is it one of the few blocking his plan?

I'm a bit thrown off by that building. Why would that one remain, while so many other's are demolished?

Maybe withh the movie industry utilizing tax breaks here in Michigan the building can store films there again. Or are they all digital now? For a look at the building the web site below shows the exploits of a group of "Urban Explorers".

withhttp://brnation.d2sector.net/ue/detroit_michigan_film_exchange_building.html

As far as I know Illitch does not own this property. It is also more suited for redevelopment than any of the other vacant buildings in Foxtown: only 7 stories, very little damage inside & out. Also it would be just outside of the footprint of Illitch's foxtown arena, if built.

MIRepublic Guest

Ilitch [[one "L", people) doesn't own the building.

Whenever I think of the Film Exchange Building [[a C. Howard Crane designed building).. it makes me smile...

Back when the first announcement was made for a new baseball stadium, it was going to be located in west Foxtown. The owners of that building immediately started a renovation program on that building by putting in new windows and other upgrades.

Well the eventual Eminent Domain for the building never happened, because the Lions were planning on leaving the Silverdome and wanted to move next door to the new baseball stadium... so they moved the site to east Foxtown [[where they are today).

Once the decision was made to move the baseball stadium footprint to another site... all building activity on the Film Exchange Building immediately stopped... and nothing has happened to it since.

If Mike Ilitch does build a new hockey arena in west Foxtown, then likely the smaller footprint will go as far north as Montcalm... thus missing the Film Exchange Building. Also, Eminent Domain can no longer be used for stadium or arena construction, so a large swath of empty land around the arena will likely not happen like it did with the Stadia district.

So I don't forsee the Ilitch's wanting to pay what will likely be a very steep price for that building.

Bad news here...

Noticed that the alley door to the Film Exchange Building is wide open. Also, quite a few more windows are broken [[which says to me it's being scrapped even further than it already is)...

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Bad news here...

Noticed that the alley door to the Film Exchange Building is wide open. Also, quite a few more windows are broken [[which says to me it's being scrapped even further than it already is)...
    The absentee owners of these buildings are complete scum. These buildings have so much potential value, yet they just leave them to rot and be looted. I wonder how many of these clowns have even inspected their properties in years.

As much as I want to see many of these buildings saved for the sake of the city, I almost hope they get ruined so that the owner takes a huge loss on in his investment. Absentee landowners and speculators are scum just as bad as the scrappers, maybe even more so. In fact, they are partners in crime and cannot exist without the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    The absentee owners of these buildings are complete scum. These buildings have so much potential value, yet they just leave them to rot and be looted. I wonder how many of these clowns have even inspected their properties in years.

As much as I want to see many of these buildings saved for the sake of the city, I almost hope they get ruined so that the owner takes a huge loss on in his investment. Absentee landowners and speculators are scum just as bad as the scrappers, maybe even more so. In fact, they are partners in crime and cannot exist without the other.
    Actually the FEB is quite well maintained, a new roof and new windows were installed recently, as well as a new - albeit odd color choice - coat of paint. Someone must have really tried hard to get in...it will probably be sealed up shortly

Sure hope so. There had been a few windows out on the north side, but more are out now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Actually the FEB is quite well maintained, a new roof and new windows were installed recently, as well as a new - albeit odd color choice - coat of paint. Someone must have really tried hard to get in...it will probably be sealed up shortly
    Thanks for the insight. I guess you can apply what I said in general terms if inapplicable to this building.

Here is a little more information about the Film Exchange Building. If something in this description needs to be changed, please let me know.
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Film%20Ex...0Building.html

Brick, stone and terra cotta should NOT be painted.... what were they thinkiing.... building architect C. Howard Crane is probably turning in his grave....

I wonder who built that?

Sorry Gistok, couldn't resist. Last time this building came up in any threads was several years ago. Any reels of film left in there, destroyed or otherwise?

Wasn't there an article in the news in the past year or so about people using this building? Maybe I'm thinking of another place downtown but I could have sworn there were some artsy younger people using it [[whether or not it was approved by the owners I can't recall).