Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown apartments or lofts

I was just wondering if anyone has recently leased or looked at places downtown? My boyfriend and I live in Washington Square right now and our lease is going to be up next month. Rent is $700 plus utilities and $60 per car for parking. We haven't had any issues here, just small maintenance problems or delays. Just wondering if anyone knew of anything else worth looking at, before we renew our lease.
    He lived in Merchant's Row a few years back, and those are really nice lofts, but now they are a little out of our price range

Craigslist is a good place to look to find something that is available right now. My only complaint is alot of craigslist posters repeat their ad twenty times in a few week period so theres alot of repetition and could get extremely annoying. I myself have been looking for a place, except my focus has been more in the greater midtown area, but as far as downtown goes i found a few places on craigslist around your price range such a studio loft near greektown for only $700/mo or many other 1 br units ranging from $550 and up

Go to the UCCA website - detroitmidtown.com...look under property/housing

Yeah, i'm not interested in Midtown. I want to stay downtown where I can walk to bars or games or take the people mover. We looked at the Greektown lofts, and they're trash. More interested in any information about the Kales, or Woodward lofts, or the lofts above Coach's corner. There's a lot of loft space down here, but it's very hard to find information on them all. On craigslist the only postings I ever see are for the Greektown studios

The lofts above Coaches Corner are also owned by the same fella as the Greektown Lofts and all the other kinda trashy lofts around town.

I looked at a space in that building and it was also trash. However, if you're crafty, your space could be whatever you want it to be.

I am crafty and love to decorate and design...but what I saw no potential in the Greektown lofts. Maybe because nothing seemed "artistic", just worn down and old. And I've heard it is VERY loud because of Nikki's bar.

I lived in the lofts that Kalifionos[[or whatever his name is) owned close to WSU. Never again will I live in one of his buildings. I never had any major problems just extremely cheap. Anyone can put up drywall and subdivide a former warehouse.

I looked at the Kales back in the summer of 2008 but the cheapest 1 bedroom at the time was about $1k. You could look at the Fyfe building at the corner of Woodward and Adams? Across from Grand Circus Park. They are cheap but not the worst and not the best. Iodent Lofts is over that way too but I don't know anything about them. Also you could look at Cadillac Square Apts. similar to the Fyfe but right downtown. As for a place similar to Washington Square I would look at Riverfront. Although I find it to be in an unwalkable area and somewhat of an Ivory Tower the building is about the same age as Washington Square and you can find cheap deals on Craigslist from time to time. I looked at a 950 sq ft 1 bedroom/study with a balcony facing Windsor for $750 back in November. My buddy has the same floorplan and he pays around $1000. Plus you have a sky walk to the People Mover and Joe Louis. Millender center might be an option as well.

If you look at Riverfront, see if you can find anything in the 300 building, it's a condo building and by far the best maintained and up to date. Only 20% are approved for rentals but if you find one, it's a marked improvement over 100 and 200.

I believe there is a studio unit available at the Carlton in Brush Park. It's about 3 blocks north of Comerica Park. I think it rents for $800 and includes parking, in unit w/d, and water.

Let me know if you want more info, I'll track it down for you.

As for Midtown, check out the newly opened 71 Garfield building or the Garfield Lofts at Woodward and Garfield. Both have units available and are clean and updated. All utilities included and you're looking between $550 - $950/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If you look at Riverfront, see if you can find anything in the 300 building, it's a condo building and by far the best maintained and up to date. Only 20% are approved for rentals but if you find one, it's a marked improvement over 100 and 200.

I believe there is a studio unit available at the Carlton in Brush Park. It's about 3 blocks north of Comerica Park. I think it rents for $800 and includes parking, in unit w/d, and water.

Let me know if you want more info, I'll track it down for you.

As for Midtown, check out the newly opened 71 Garfield building or the Garfield Lofts at Woodward and Garfield. Both have units available and are clean and updated. All utilities included and you're looking between $550 - $950/mo.
    I remember being in 71 Garfield about 20 years ago. It was a husband and wife owned building., I knew the husband, who is now deceased. It was truly a slum apartment building back then - not the worst in the city, but, pretty bad. I'd love to see what it has been transformed into.

I live in Kales which may be in your price range. Parking is free, and all we pay is electric. Great views and nice amenities.

Its also close to where Wash. Sq. is. It's worth checking out at least.

I think the one bedrooms start at $830 and the two bedrooms go up to $1400.