Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

View Poll Results: Do you support the idea for a Detroit History Week?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 80.00%
  • No.

2 20.00%

Default Detroit History Week Proposal

Dear all,

I just wanted to know what you thought of my proposal for a Detroit History Week. I think that such a thing would stir up pride within the city and would make people more willing to be involved in helping to restore Detroit. I recently sent a message to Mayor Bing on twitter regarding my proposal and I want to garner up support for this idea so that it can become a reality. I have attached the proposal below. Please tell me what you think of it.

Most people on the outside only see the bad things in Detroit. They talk endlessly about the problems in Detroit, yet they fail to highlight the good. Detroit is an amazing city, but so much of its greatness has been overshadowed by negative media exposure. Although, people on the outside may not know the truth we, Detroiters, know the truth about our city and now is the time for us to show the world just how great it is. However, change starts within and before we can change the world’s opinion we must change ourselves.

Despite the fact that Detroit has such a rich history many Detroiters seem to have forgotten about the past. The problems of the present have bogged them down and as a result they have lost pride in their city. Pride is lacking among young people in particular, which in turn is contributing to the destruction of our beautiful city [[I am not picking on young people; I myself am a college student). Young people today are missing a connection with the history of their city and as a result they do not respect their city and reverence it as it should be reverenced. There is no quick fix to this problem, but I think that educating people about the rich history of Detroit would help to fix it. I know for a fact that this will greatly impact the people of the city because I have watched the same thing happen to me: the more I read about the history of Detroit, the more pride I get and the more excited I get about that fact that I live in one of the greatest cities in history. It is so hard for me to put into words the emotions I have when I read about Detroit and about how great it used to be, and I know that others will have the same experience that I have if someone educates them.

Detroit has so much rich history—aside from the auto industry—and it is a shame that few know about it. I truly do believe that informing people would make them proud of their city and would make them respect it more, which will hopefully help to preserve the remainder of the historic buildings in Detroit. I feel that the time is right now to take action, especially in the wake of programs such as Detroit 2020 and the I am a Believer Campaign.

I know that pride will go a long way in helping change the direction that Detroit is going in for the better. To help bring back the pride in our city my proposal is for Mayor Bing to consecrate the week of July 24 [[commemorating the founding of Detroit) as an annual Detroit History Week. My hope is to have presentations at multiple places throughout Detroit such as Cobo Hall, the Charles H. Wright Museum, or the Detroit Historical Society. My vision would be to have old photos and videos of Detroit and historians explaining the history of Detroit both visually and orally. This would be in addition to having tours of the city and its historic sites.

I know this would help boost morale in the city of Detroit tremendously and I know Detroit History Week would be a success; however, I cannot do this on my own. What I am calling for is for every organization that truly believes in Detroit that truly cares about its citizens, to chip in and help create a better future. I am looking for organizations and people willing to help in any way, shape, or form. From people who want to do presentations about the history of the city, to organizations that just want to put their seal of approval on this proposal. I recently sent Mayor Bing a message on twitter regarding my proposal and while I am awaiting his response, I want to garner up as much support for this idea as possible. Please help me make this proposal into a reality. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Waleed Johnson

[[If you have any questions or please email me at wmohamme@nd.edu)

websites:
    www.detroit-historyweek.com
    www.detroithistoryweek.blogspot.com

Dear all,

Thank you for reading my post. Please do not hesitate to leave feedback. All comments, suggestions, and criticism are welcome.

I am a huge history buff regarding our city, you are right our past gets buried. I do understand that as a community we need to look forward to new beginnings and new enterprises but pride in past gives strength to future growth.

The idea of a Detroit History Week is a tremendous one. Count me among those who support this concept.

Thank you for your support. Yes, I agree with everything you are saying and I feel that if the citizens of Detroit had more pride, we would be more inclined to help preserve the city and would be less inclined to continue to deface it.

Thank you [[renf) for your support!