Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to park near the court building on Lafayette

Lucky me! I have jury duty next week at the United States District Court at 231 Lafayette. Their instructions say to get off 10 S at the Howard Street exit, take the service drive up to Lafayette and make a left onto Lafayette, then go down 6 blocks to the courthouse. Mapquest says to go down 10 S to Larned, then make a left onto Washington and go to Lafayette that way. Which to do? Also, since I am not at all familiar with the area, I'd like to get there early. What time do the surrounding lots open? When do they begin to fill up? Would the parking lot directly across the street from the court building have spaces still available at 7:00am? When do they open the courthouse doors? Is there a coffee shop anywhere nearby? The notice says to be there by 7:45, but because of possible traffic whle driving over 30 miles to get there and possible bad weather, etc. I want to get there earlier than that. Any advice you all can offer would be much appreciated! Thank you!

you could try across the street? maybe you can take the bus from where you are?

The ways you mentioned take you to one side or the other of the building. It occupies a full city block, so that would make sense. I'm not sure if one of those sides is the main entrance for US District Court. There are a few coffee places around, though I'm not sure if there is one within the building itself. WBC in the Book Cadillac should be open by that time. You could always park at the Book garage and get your coffee on the walk over - about 1 block down Washington Blvd. Another choice is the coffee place at the corner of Congree and Washington Blvd. across from Cobo. If you parked at the Cobo Roof you would pass right by here on your block long walk from the other direction to the Federal Courthouse. Hope this helps.

There is [[or was, last time I was down there) a parking garage at Lafayette and Cass. Used to park there when I worked downtown near the Federal Building. At the time it was the cheapest in the immediate vicinity. But I don't know about now...

It opened early..at least 7 am. They used to park your car for you. They were great people.

Thanks to all of you! I'll print out this thread on Sunday and make my decisions then. Now to add to my confusion and worry, I was just reminded of the time change happening this weekend. So that means I'll be driving in the dark in an unfamiliar area. Cell phones are not allowed in the court building, so I'll be without that too. Hey, I'm an old lady, don't need this hassle. I'll be fine, just trying to be prepared.

I'm just a half mile from the Washtenaw County line, so there is no bus available as far as I know. I wouldn't want to rely on a bus to be on time anyway.

Kelton

Kelton...you in Belleville area? That's where I'm at. I always wanted to do Federal court jury duty, but never got called. Once you get down there, the guards and staff will be very helpful to give you any tips you need. They are used to working with folks from outside the City.

bartock Guest

The garage in the building I'm in [[Fort Washington) is open 24 hours a day. Call the Fort Washington Plaza and ask for the garage, I'm fairly certain there is a validation with the Federal Court. follow the directions you were given, as you make a left onto Washington, the Fort Washington garage will be on the second block, on your left, before Lafayette. The Federal Court House is kitty-corner to it. I believe the Gateway Deli [[in the Fort Washington Plaza) is open for breakfast/coffee at 7:00. There is also a coffee shop in the Dime Building, which is next to the Federal Court to the East [[just ask someone).

The garage at Lafayette and Cass is not available. They would make you park in the tiny surface lot next to it.

There are several surface lots directly across the street on Lafayette and within a block on Fort. The smaller lots directly across Lafayette do get fairly full but not until around 9:00. There are also several garages within a block or two that you can use. There is much more parking in that area than is needed so you really won't have a problem finding something. Depending on your desire to walk you will pay anywhere from $5-$18.

The court house does validate jurors for the Financial District Garage on Shelby and Lafayette right across the street. The validation may only be for the grand juries though so you might want to clarify it with them first.

As far as which way to go, I prefer exiting off Howard like the courthouse says to do. Taking the Larned exit can get more backed up if there are any events at Cobo.

Thanks again everyone. You've all been very helpful and eased my mind about this adventure.

Blueidone - I'm in Northville Township near Napier Road. I've never done federal court jury duty before and I think it will be exciting. I just hope I don't get on some trial that drags on for months. To be honest, the worst part for me will be having to be dressed up every day instead of in my jeans!

Kelton

Kelton...Very, very ironic but I have jury duty there as well on Monday morning. I have to call tomorrow evening to confirm though, as I am sure you do.

cmubryan - Ha! What a coincidence. Yes. I have to call in tomorrow after 6pm to make sure I am required to be there on Monday. Notice that it said if not needed on Monday, we are "on call" for two weeks.

What you could do is park anywhere downtown and take the people mover which starts running at 6:30 and is only 50 cents to ride from just about anywhere downtown to the Fort/Cass station which is a block away from the courthouse. Whenever I go downtown I park in the Greektown garage and use the people mover, the address to the Greektown garage is 1001 Brush Street and it is open 24 hours a day.