Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bing asks Snyder to change choice for DPS emergency financial manager

Mayor Dave Bing made a last-minute plea to Gov. Rick Snyder on Saturday to change his choice for the next emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, saying the appointment could create unrest among Detroiters.

During an hour-long meeting with Snyder, Bing and other community leaders urged the governor to reconsider appointing Kirk Lewis, who abruptly resigned from a top position in the mayor's office Friday, to avoid the appearance of a mayoral takeover of the struggling school system.

"This is not an intent to compromise his qualifications, but we realize that while Detroit Public Schools is an integral part of the city's success, it is also a very sensitive subject," mayoral spokeswoman Karen Dumas said. "We don't want to give any appearance of impropriety. We have worked hard to gain the trust of the citizens and feel this will compromise that."

Snyder had planned to hire Lewis and make a gradual transition from Robert Bobb, the current emergency financial manager whose contract expires in June, according to a source in the Snyder administration who is familiar with the situation. That plan, the source said, is now up in the air.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/20110306/NEWS01/103060641/Bing-asks-Snyder-change-choice-DPS-emergency-financial-manager?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    Mayor Dave Bing made a last-minute plea to Gov. Rick Snyder on Saturday to change his choice for the next emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, saying the appointment could create unrest among Detroiters.

During an hour-long meeting with Snyder, Bing and other community leaders urged the governor to reconsider appointing Kirk Lewis, who abruptly resigned from a top position in the mayor's office Friday, to avoid the appearance of a mayoral takeover of the struggling school system.

"This is not an intent to compromise his qualifications, but we realize that while Detroit Public Schools is an integral part of the city's success, it is also a very sensitive subject," mayoral spokeswoman Karen Dumas said. "We don't want to give any appearance of impropriety. We have worked hard to gain the trust of the citizens and feel this will compromise that."

Snyder had planned to hire Lewis and make a gradual transition from Robert Bobb, the current emergency financial manager whose contract expires in June, according to a source in the Snyder administration who is familiar with the situation. That plan, the source said, is now up in the air.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/20110306/NEWS01/103060641/Bing-asks-Snyder-change-choice-DPS-emergency-financial-manager?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s
    Okay, i will bite on this. I find it puzzling that Bing would tell Snyder to choose another dude for the role of EFM. The man in the lead was a Bing guy who has been with him for years and suddenly he quits because he may be offered the job from Snyder and Bing is asking him to choose another man for the job. I don't buy it one bit. This Lewis resigned from the Bing administration so that means he is no longer connected to Bing. Bing uses the cop-out excuse that he don't want Detroit thinking that the mayor's office is taking over DPS by Lewis being appointed by Snyder. Imagine if your past employer goes to your future employer and tell him or her not to hire you. You would be pissed and I bet this Lewis is pissed too.

we'll see how this develops.. I guess this is bing's way of avoiding another harangue as he announces that he will be running again in 2013..

NorthEndere Guest

Yeah, there is something much more to this that is happening on background. If you read the paper, it left more questions than answers. For Bing's office to go to the media to try and prevent this guy [[HIS guy, no less) from getting the job screams that there is a major problem, somewhere.

....Or just smoke and mirrors.
    "We don't want this to look like a sly way of skirting around the fact that 'our guy' quit his
    job, knowing that he was 'up' for appointment." "Then we announce we're against this appointment,
    so it won't look bad." " Then the Governor 'goes against' our recommendation anyway, appearing
    as if we are not in cahoots [[Which we are. Note all the chummy meetings.They are both businessmen, by the way...with failed businesses, in some peoples minds anyway)...." "Then we begrudgingly concede his appointment, and hide our tickled continence' from the duped public, knowing we are now 'in control' and score one for our new relationship with the Gov."
    .....hmmm, I wonder what favor Bing will repay 'His Honor' with.
    Man....politics. It doesn't really matter WHO is in charge. They're ALL the same, in the end.
    You can't tell me something fishy isn't going on here. Even I can smell it!!!!