Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hash Bash founder and marijuana champion facing felony charges related to raid

It looks like Bagman's getting harassed. From today's Free Press: Hash Bash founder and marijuana champion facing felony charges related to raid
    A Royal Oak man who organized Ann Arbor's Hash Bash for the last two decades -- and whom many Michiganders consider a leader of efforts to legalize marijuana -- is in legal trouble.

Adam Brook was charged Feb. 22 on eight felony counts, including possessing more than a pound of marijuana -- well over the 2.5 ounces allowed to medical marijuana patients in Michigan, court records show....

Scion of a family that for 80 years owned the Cadillac Luggage store in downtown Detroit's Penobscot Building, Brook closed the shop in 2006 when his back gave out. He walks with a cane and said he is a state-approved marijuana patient, although Bouchard said police found during the raid that his card had expired....

Damn shame he is under Bouchard's jurisdiction, that guy seems a thug intent on stomping the will of the people to succeed in bashing this idiotic personal-use prohibition of one of the best of Mother Nature's medicines.

Brook put himself out there by suing the city, he should've had all his eggs in a basket expecting a raid. Now he loses some family heirlooms and keepsakes.

I'm sure the argument against the firearms being controlled because they were relics will be moot if all of them were loaded.

Who sues the city against this sort of thing and then keeps a pound of dope easily at hand?

I always appreciated Bagman's commentary...and this is the first time I EVER heard the medical marijuana cards had expiration dates. Wonder how much they charge for the renewal, and whether you need an updated doctor's prescription.

No cheers on this one, thanks for the link Jimaz.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-07-11 at 09:00 AM.

"The nail that stands out gets hammered down."

Apparently the amount of marijuana found is in dispute.

I knew he was involved in the Hash Bash but I didn't know he was the founder.

That is one famous [[or infamous) dude!

Cards are only good for one year. They do need a new doctor's recommendation to renew. It takes the state forever to send out a new card. In the meantime, the doctor's paperwork is sufficient and is as acceptable as the actual card. There is a huge backlog of applications, on the state level. Renewing the card is the same cost as the original, I believe.

I don't have a card but know of someone close to me who has one and I helped with the paperwork and such. I even went to the Medical Marijuana Clinic with this person to see firsthand. I wanted to make sure it wasn't some scam. They were pretty thourough with their exam and required an extensive medical record background for the ailment prior to making an appointment.

well, it says he "organized" it for the past two decades, i went there from 1986 to 1990 and I can tell you that the hash bash was happening in 1986, well over 20 years ago.... so I don't think he "founded" it....

as far as "organizing" it..... does that really happen, isn't it just the same date every year and you show up and smoke weed... not sure how much organizing that needs...

1 pound of pot is a good amount.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    1 pound of pot is a good amount.....
    Well, back in my college days [[a loooong time ago), my roomie and I would buy a pound, keep a couple of ounces, sell the rest, and had free pot for a couple of years, so I can say a pound is a lot of pot.

Having said that, Bouchard is an authoritarian a**hole who has decided he has better judgment than the voters of Michigan when it comes to the subject of pot. I'm just glad the voters last August had the good sense to put him in fourth place in the Rep primary. Unfortunately, we here in OC are stuck with him as Sheriff, but with any luck that's as far as his career goes.

So, if a person has a card and is on the government listing...then doesn't renew for any reason...my bet is those like that scumbag Bouchard will scour the list and attempt to nail anyone on it!

That is how thugs work.

But it seems an annual fee is now in order into perpetuity for anyone who dares use Mother Nature's Most Amusing Analgesic...how strange is our modern world?! This is a damned WEED that grows ubiquitously on every continent of the Earth...and was the basis of the economy until humankind mastered crude oil synthesis.

Rampant idiocy abounds...and those like Bouchard can use laws to bully anyone they please.

Don,

If you and your friends could stretch a couple of ounces into two years...that is quite extraordinary!

Most of my recreational user friends go through an ounce in a few weeks at most. With my medicinal use, I can make one last a month, that at one hit an hour daily. Anything more puts me into distraction!

Cheers

Adam Brook is a good guy, and this crap is ridiculously stupid and a gigantic waste of the taxpayers money and the time and resources of law enforcement, in addition to going against the stated will of the electorate. I remember Adam from the luggage store that stayed open much longer than most other retail businesses downtown [[and was located on Cadillac Sq. for most of its life before moving to the Penobscot in later years). However, he didn't found the "Hash Bash." It goes way back to the Michigan Supreme Court invalidating the state's old anti-pot statute in the John Sinclair case. I remember going out to AA for it as a high schooler back in the mid-70s.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-07-11 at 01:32 PM.

Even though I could get a medical card, I see no reason to attach myself to a gov't list admitting that I'm a user. Besides, the flow and quality on the street has improved drastically since this law has passed. As long as I can get it the old-fashioned way, it will be business as usual. Brownie anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Even though I could get a medical card, I see no reason to attach myself to a gov't list admitting that I'm a user. Besides, the flow and quality on the street has improved drastically since this law has passed. As long as I can get it the old-fashioned way, it will be business as usual. Brownie anyone ?
    Thank you. Until federal law echoes the state's law, all you've done, whether a patient or caregiver, is give federal authorities an excuse to come into your house. Good luck with that. I see how well being "legit" is working in this state, as well as California.