Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pedestrian bridge connecting GCP to GCP?

Now, there has not been any talk about this [[that I know of), but wouldn't it be cool if there was a nice, architecturally significant ped bridge across Woodward? I think it would really make Grand Circus Park more attractive, and it would eliminate having to cross Woodward traffic.

Is something like this even feasible? Not sure how tall it would have to be to allow semis. And I know the Thanksgiving Day parade would probably frown upon it.
    But I think it would be awesome.

Thoughts?

Why? I don't work downtown but when I've been down there, I've never had any problems crossing Woodward at any crosswalk.

That does sound like a neat idea. Or one that went between Brush Park and Comerica Park, to tie the downtown/midtown neighborhoods closer together.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    That does sound like a neat idea. Or one that went between Brush Park and Comerica Park, to tie the downtown/midtown neighborhoods closer together.
    If the Brush Park neighborhood is revitalized, I would love to see them cap I-75 there, or at least make the existing overpasses larger and more pedestrian friendly... My hope is that if an arena is built on Woodward north of I-75 that something would have to happen to handle the swaths of people before and after events.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    Attachment 8985This picture was taken last Monday from an office building overlooking Grand Circus....Where is the traffic? Where are the pedestrians? It's looks like a ghost town...the only thing missing was the tumbleweed.
    Last Monday huh? Boy, the grass and those trees sure greened up in a hurry. I didn't realize it was summer now. Where have I been?

Also, that pic was taken from atop Comerica Park, not "an office building overlooking Grand Circus".

I call BS on this one.
    Last edited by DC48080; March-06-11 at 01:07 PM.

Any bridge crossing over Woodward would have to be at least as high as the People Mover tracks.... why?

.... so that the Thanksgiving Day Parade floats [[especially balloons) can cross underneath...

It could be done, but it doesn't seem all that justified.

1. Have there been multiple pedestrian fatalities involving motorists crossing Woodward at GCP?]

2. Costs will run into the millions, but unlikely above $10 million. The cheaper, the more utilitarian. Is it worth sinking a bunch of money into a bridge that provides more of an architectural statement?

3. Is there enough pedestrian traffic crossing Woodward to make this project worthwhile. Think of cities that really should consider this because of high traffic volumes. Millennium park has tens of thousands of people crossing the chaotic Michigan Ave / Randolph intersection every day...... there is no bridge. How about New York's central park? No bridges.

The only argument people in support of a bridge would have here is that it would create an interesting gateway into downtown and might be convenient when crossing the street. Really, it would be nothing more than an art sculpture that has SOME functionality. As a result the project will have to be 100% privately funded, as does most of these types of projects.

if you are putting a pedestrian bridge anywhere downtown make it over jefferson avenue. i hate crossing that road.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It could be done, but it doesn't seem all that justified.

1. Have there been multiple pedestrian fatalities involving motorists crossing Woodward at GCP?]

2. Costs will run into the millions, but unlikely above $10 million. The cheaper, the more utilitarian. Is it worth sinking a bunch of money into a bridge that provides more of an architectural statement?

3. Is there enough pedestrian traffic crossing Woodward to make this project worthwhile. Think of cities that really should consider this because of high traffic volumes. Millennium park has tens of thousands of people crossing the chaotic Michigan Ave / Randolph intersection every day...... there is no bridge. How about New York's central park? No bridges.

The only argument people in support of a bridge would have here is that it would create an interesting gateway into downtown and might be convenient when crossing the street. Really, it would be nothing more than an art sculpture that has SOME functionality. As a result the project will have to be 100% privately funded, as does most of these types of projects.
    I agree. I was just thinking out loud on this one. The bridge would really only be an aesthetic thing for the city. While totally unnecessary, I think it would look cool. The chances of it ever happening are probably nill. But I think it would cater to the crowds of people on game days. One can wish I suppose, right?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    if you are putting a pedestrian bridge anywhere downtown make it over jefferson avenue. i hate crossing that road.
    .... LOL... especially at the tunnel entrance! YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I agree. I was just thinking out loud on this one. The bridge would really only be an aesthetic thing for the city. While totally unnecessary, I think it would look cool. The chances of it ever happening are probably nill. But I think it would cater to the crowds of people on game days. One can wish I suppose, right?
    Planner3357... I like you idea... sort of a gateway to downtown... but maybe something at the Fisher Freeway Bridge over Woodward would be more appropriate. And not a pedestrian bridge per se... but more of another kind of dramatic statement... like the way Michigan Ave. crosses over the Chicago River at the beginning of the Magnificent Mile comes to mind... perhaps 4 pylons or obelisks or something like that. I would even have suggested some type of arch... but then there's the issue with the parade again...

Oh, swell idea. Anything to keep pedestrians out of the way of our precious, precious automobiles. The automobiles, piloted into a neighborhood that needs fewer of them, get to sail right on through, while the pedestrians, which we need more of, are obliged to walk up the stairs, cross the street through a grate of metal, and then come down the stairs. This will be especially nice when the stairs are iced over and the freezing pedestrians have to take some higher wind while the people driving into downtown don't even have to see them. Excellent. This is the kind of urban thinking we need to revitalize downtown.

SATIRE ...

Overhead pedestrian walkways kill pedestrian traffic on the streets and separates the haves from the have-nots.

I would agree that the only place downtown I would like to see one is by Mariner's church because pedestrians are not safe walking from Hart Plaza to the RenCen along Jefferson. This however could be built in a way that it was not really an overhead walkway, but a connector because of the grade difference between the tunnel and Hart Plaza.

I guess I wasn't really look to deter ped traffic on the street, more like an appealing structure over Woodward. maybe not even a ped bridge..bad idea I guess...I'll chalk this one up as a FAIL!

Maybe if they did something cool with the DPM over Woodward to make it more appealing? Especially with BT and possibly DWB.

You know what might look cool? Like a "gateway"? Why don't we get an artist to set up a latticework of red bars over the whole stretch of Woodward down by the bottom of Grand Circus Park?

...or how about a really cool giant arch with a nice big religious symbol in the middle?

Then everyone can "have a blessed day"!!

... I don't know... those look like Ottoman style minarets holding up that Christian arch...

Oh geez....I should have known it would come to this!

The last time I remember traffic on Woodward being too busy on a day to day basis was in the 60's or 70's. Maybe occasionally on St. Patty's Day or Thanksgiving during parades. The last thing Detroit needs now is something additional to supervise and maintain. Pete Waldmeir, the infamous columnist and curmudgeon, used to make fun of Detroit parking and traffic enforcement during 'rush hour'. Like Detroit really had a 'rush hour'. That disappeared decades ago.