Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Governor Snyder's budget plan puts Detroit Development deals in danger?

http://www.freep.com/article/2011030...text|FRONTPAGE

This could really spell the end for the renovation of historic buildings and toxic sites.

Synder says Michigan needs a healthy Detroit but he's gonna kill one of the things that has brought development to the city.
    Last edited by MSUguy; March-05-11 at 11:30 PM.

Sigh..... who would have thought the day would come when we'd have to 100% agree with
    George Jackson!

The article is right. Many of these developments would never have happened without incentives. Who is going to develop a toxic lot when the could just develop the one across the street? It will end up rotting forever.

Are you all glad that most of you voted for the NERD. His revenge on liberal regionalization even on Detroit is getting bigger. He's worst than Granholm and 10,000 times worse than Engler. He's downsizing Michigan and he's got to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Synder says Michigan needs a healthy Detroit but he's gonna kill one the things that has brought development to the city.
    That's exactly what came to mind when i read this.

Lots of people are sorry, they didn't vote for Bernaro. They should have known, when Snynerd, would not debate much or say much, during the campaign. Now you know the reason. You were snowed by Snynerd. Yes, I am spelling his name correctly.

Other than writing letters to the Gov., any ideas as to what the common folk can do to show their disappointment in this proposal? Any planned get togethers? Maybe not in Lansing, but in front of the David Whitney? It would be pretty striking to show the Broderick being renovated with these tax credits then show how Snyder's plan would kill the Whitney's hope for revival.

This is just so disappointing coming from a governor who claims he cares about Detroit.

Stinkytofu --

The State House and Senate now get to deliberate and figure out what parts of the budget will change and how they will change. They all keep home office coffee hours and can meet in person for appointments on Mondays and Fridays. In lieu of that, calling and writing physical letters is also good. The governor doesn't just get to say. The legislature must approve it.

Funny username.

Snynerd wants a strong Detroit... By Detroit he means Troy. Or Auburn Hills.

This is what he means by having strong cities. He is for some "urban" areas... If they are Ann Arbor or downtown Royal Joke.

Snynerd claims to be from Ann Arbor but he lived in a subdivision miles outside of the town.

Has he ever step foot in a real Detroit city neighborhood too see the true extent of the destruction?

Has he ever made an extended stay in a functioning major urban city to see what can be done for Detroit?

Snynerd knows nothing about what is needed for Detroit or any of Michigans non-white cities.

lincoln8740 Guest

Completely agree with the quote in the article "The state should not pick winners and losers" That is exactly what the tax credits allow state officials to do.

Do you know how much money Beale had to spread around Lansing to get his?

Good for Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Completely agree with the quote in the article "The state should not pick winners and losers" That is exactly what the tax credits allow state officials to do.

Do you know how much money Beale had to spread around Lansing to get his?

Good for Snyder.
    Gee... your response was of no surprise here...

I'm sure that Beale is one of the top deep pocketed people around Lansing taking our tax dollars.... sound right?

And all of those historic buildings should be struggling on their own... survivial of the fittest [[or should I say newest).... am I right again?

Let's let all the big time corporations have their lobbyists take the people's money.... screw our architectural heritage.... so are we on the same page now?

Maybe now DTE, Bridgestone and other corporations will be off the hook for letting the Uniroyal site be remediated.... lets leave that weed strewn toxic dump of an eye sore for our grandkids to worry about....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-05-11 at 06:00 PM.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee... your response was of no surprise here...

I'm sure that Beale is one of the top deep pocketed people around Lansing taking our tax dollars.... sound right?

And all of those historic buildings should be struggling on their own... survivial of the fittest [[or should I say newest).... am I right again?

Let's let all the big time corporations have their lobbyists take the people's money.... screw our architectural heritage.... so are we on the same page now?

Maybe now DTE, Bridgestone and other corporations will be off the hook for letting the Uniroyal site be remediated.... lets leave that weed strewn toxic dump of an eye sore for our grandkids to worry about....
    Once again--the state should not be in the business of picking winners and losers on smaller rehab development plans.

Now if the Credits were available to EVERYONE that was to REHAB a building then maybe I might think differently.But right now they are available only to the highest bidder.

The state is taking money from the schools to absorb into the state bloatocracy. Where are the state level cutbacks? They are all local.

Once again--the state should not be in the business of picking winners and losers on smaller rehab development plans.

Now if the Credits were available to EVERYONE that was to REHAB a building then maybe I might think differently.But right now they are available only to the highest bidder.

I must say that you don't know what you are talking about. With regards to State Historic tax creidts, ANYONE who owns a histroic property is eligible. If you take the proper steps, you could get credit for your historic home. All the information can be found on the SHPO and MSHDA web sites.

http://www.michigan.gov/mshda/shpo/p...oric+buildings

Not only the Detroit cuts, but he's willing to break the backs of Senior's by allowing their pensions to be taxed, which is just wrong. It's hard enough to pay for anything on a pension as it is now and he wants more $$ to come out of it? He's already rich, so it won't affect him. He's nuts, Can you spell recall??

"I must say that you don't know what you are talking about."

In the case of the poster you were replying to, that's usually self-evident. No need to point out the obvious.

DetroitDad Guest

Actually, I agree with you. I also agree with streamlining Michigan's tax codes. However, I think some other plan should first be in place to deal with regional disruption. Just pulling these credits could cause everyone in the state of Michigan to lose. Abrupt changes like what Governor Snyder is considering, generally make Michigan look politically unstable, which will likely be a detractor for new business and investment dollars.

All that being said, I am not really an advocate of tax credits, even though I am a strong supporter of many of the projects and areas they benefit. What I do support is tax code reforms that fix the problems at their foundation, rather than adding a network of confusing hoops that must be jumped through just to basically get a redevelopment off the ground.

PS: It is said politicians tend to make poor leaders because they do not analyze their "market trends" and many future realities. It really bothers me that any governor is willing to make such sweeping and broad changes without doing an "environmental impact study" before making a decision.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; March-06-11 at 12:13 AM.

So how to get around brownfield credits..

how much of an impediment is the DEGC to fast-tracking redevelopment projects..

I agree with the Snyder plan for a level tax structure that doesn't pick winners and losers by giving tax credits to specific companies, industries, or locations.

As much as I love the positive impact of the film industry growth in response to the targeted tax credits, I have to admit that it is not a fair tax policy. The same goes for any targeted tax breaks that we have used to lure a specific company to invest in Michigan. These targeted tax breaks might succeed in a specific short-term situation, but they are unfair, and have more negative consequences than positive over the long run.

However, I do not think that the state historic tax credits are an example of this situation. The state historic tax credits are available to all historic properties, regardless of location, building use, length of ownership, etc.

Unlike most of the other tax credits challenged by Snyder, the historic tax credits do not pick winners and losers, nor favor new investors over current owners, nor do they favor one usage type over another.

The state historic tax credits are quite similar to tax credits granted for college tuition.

If the government gives tax credits for all college tuition expenses, it is a fair tax policy. If the government only gave tax credits for college tuition to medical and engineering students, it would be an example of an unfair tax policy designed to pick winners and losers.

"Unlike most of the other tax credits challenged by Snyder, the historic tax credits do not pick winners and losers, nor favor new investors over current owners, nor do they favor one usage type over another."

Nicely put. Best explanation I've read of how they are not one and the same with other tax credits. One might still take the position that they are a form of social engineering, that government shouldn't be favoring one kind of development over an other by favoring rehabbing old versus new. But unless we really believe that it's better to build in greenfields versus encouraging redevelopment in urban areas, we have to accept that it's going to take options like this to make it happen.

So then a business would look at it this way.

Detroit

http://www.michigan-commercial-real-...ouse-Space.htm

And because of their age most would need some kind of re-meditation with no incentives.

Or this that would come with incentives. And room for future expansion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Hill-SC-Ind...ht_3298wt_1275

Which would you choose?