Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Crazey enough to return to Detroit?!?

Born and raised in Detroit from 1949 to 1983. Grew up on the East side. Attended grade school at Assumption Grotto at Gratiot and 6 mile Rd. Graduated from Notre Dame H.S in 1967. Worked for the City of Detroit Personnel Dept till 1983. Moved to Cape Coral, Fl in SW Fla till present. Find myself wanting to return to my roots. Have followed many posts here reminising of the past and realizing the best days were there in Detroit and Michigan! Have an oppertunity not quite to return to Detroit but to a suburb just outside the city. May have to wait till it gets warmer..83 here in SW Florida today. Plan is to renew relationship with long time friend, convince her to spend the cold months down here. Actually looking forward to revisitng the Tiger, Lions and Wings! The ethnicity of the area, revisiting old neighborhoods, special places, vising Mt Olivat where my family resides, looking up old friends etc.Florida is and has been great...raised a family,but Detroit despite all its warts and short comings, all the negative press, still in my heart is and can restore its previous greatness and status. Heck, maybe I can move into the city and run for city council! Imagine a former 31 yr resident returning to the city after being away for 30 yrs getting involved in the City of Detroit!. Have seen some similar posts lately on the same subject. All good signs for the future of Detroit!

DetroitDad Guest

I am told the 1980's were some of the worst years in Detroit's history. So, I am very impressed with your outlook and consideration to return, and look forward to your hard work.

[[http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/)

You're not dumb. I think a lot of former Detroiters, including myself, have a strong feeling for their city and hope to return one day. I have only been gone for 7 years, but my love for Detroit has never gotten weaker only stronger. I too have dreamed of returning to the city, getting to know the right people and run for city council too. I feel the city can be great with great leaders. I feel Detroit is on a better road than where it was, but has a long ways to go. I wish you the best of luck!

I am touched by this, and apart form the courage it takes to uproot and come back to a challenging environment, the attachment you show is remarkable. It makes folks like Glen Beck look like the wimps they are.

Come on back!

Rent, don't buy.

Thanks for words of encouragement! It really doesn't have to be the way it is. There are a lot to overcome but why not take it on? Have to appeal to like minded people not the gloom and doomers!
    I just know there are a ton of positive thinking people out there. Some with money. Some with a can do attitude. Others that would be able to contribute whatever they could to make their city better for all Detroiters. And by all Detroiters I mean and include all the suburbs..all the people who's families fled the city a generation ago. Believe it or not, the majority of them still feel connected to the city. Deep in their hearts, they want the glory days of Detroit returned! For Everyone will benifit. Everyone will once again feel the pride of being a Detroiter! Heck, even the Lions are offering hope! Just think what can be accomplished if we get the Ford family behind us! They do and have invested in the city what with Ford Field. But Iam talking substantial, real life involvement and investment in the city. After all, their family ties go back to the Mack Avenue plant rolling off what was it the model A-s or model T's. Since I have not formally announced my intention to run for city council and I still have to establish residency, I dont feel the need to Google ModelA, Model T.

Thank you DetroitDad! Love your quote. There is so much Detroit can be. Heck, the history goes back over 300 years. It was great then, it was great during the war of 1812, it was great during the Industrial Revolution, it was great through the 60's and 70's. So why can it not be great again? Once you hit bottom, there is no where to go but up. So what stands in the way..mostly attitude. Change the attitude and you change the city!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I am touched by this, and apart form the courage it takes to uproot and come back to a challenging environment, the attachment you show is remarkable. It makes folks like Glen Beck look like the wimps they are.
    And Thank You evidently a person with Canadian ties!
    To be gone from a city for 30 years after spending 31 tears there...having worked for the City of Detroit from 1965-1983..many of the early years as a seasonal employee...ice skating rinks in winter, Belle isle refreshment stands in summer,
    I still have a passion for the city. I have over the years followed the trials and tribulations . All I know, is it doesnt have to be the way it is. There is so much money and influence surrounding the city. All it takes, and its a big deal, is to have all that $$ and the movers and shakers be convenced that a strong, viberant central city will benefit ALL which includes the suburbs. That is the key. The surrounding communities must be showned that a strong, triving Detroit will be a benefit to them. How that works out is the challenge.

Fat fingers rule once again! Sorry for the mis spellings! Got all A's in spelling at Assumption Grotto at Gratiot and 6 Mile! Class of 1963. I am only 61!

Ha I clicked the link to make fun of how you spelled Crazey.... but the joke is on me! Well played Craze!

Things in South FL are about the same as they are here, only with different characters. As mentioned with rent, don't buy is a warning, though if you do buy there are some incredible deals out there. I am sure you are finding in he Miami and Ft Lauderdale as well.

Now is the time to buy, but you want to have a local with you, because location is very important in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Ha I clicked the link to make fun of how you spelled Crazey.... but the joke is on me! Well played Craze! I see from your profile you are an old timer here! An a crafty one at that! Lesson here is don't be to quick to judge or "make fun" of others be it their name or opinions!

Things in South FL are about the same as they are here, only with different characters. As mentioned with rent, don't buy is a warning, though if you do buy there are some incredible deals out there. I am sure you are finding in he Miami and Ft Lauderdale as well.
    I am in SW Fla in Cape Coral. Most know the area as Ft Myers. Our uneployment in Lee County is 13%. We have the 2nd highest foreclosure rate in the country behind Las Vegas. When things were booming we either were the fastest growing area in the country or again just behind Vegas. The quicker you rise the harder you fall! Would not buy but be with friends/family there.

i came back to detroit for my birthday..fifty...i was in a shop on cass and the clerk ask me what brought me back to town....i told her...her reply was "welcome home"....i can't tell you how much that meant to me....

DetroitDad Guest

I agree that now is not the time to buy. We're a year or more out from that.

I am also a former Detroiter [[born and bred - albeit suburbia)anticipating a move to the city proper sometime in 2011. I currently reside in South Carolina, having moved here in 2002. It is heartening to hear from others contemplating the same thing!

Paul