Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Westboro Church: Did they show up once at the Woodward Ave Dream Cruise?...

I recall some years ago, maybe around '02, when some fella with a billboard on wheels showed up at the Dream Cruise with photos of aborted fetuses on his mobile billboard. Anyone know if that was Phelps of Westboro Church zealots?

Was there any action taken against the person that paraded that whack billboard around the Dream Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    I recall some years ago, maybe around '02, when some fella with a billboard on wheels showed up at the Dream Cruise with photos of aborted fetuses on his mobile billboard. Anyone know if that was Phelps of Westboro Church zealots?

Was there any action taken against the person that paraded that whack billboard around the Dream Cruise?
    Wasn't there some guy who wanted to do that during the Super Bowl in downtown Detroit?
    I don't think that guy was connected with WB.

I thought I've seen that guy almost every year at the Dream Cruise. He's got an older van or station wagon with the billboard on the roof.

Hatred of gays is their specialty. I don't think they bother with abortion.
    Last edited by Pam; March-05-11 at 01:42 PM.

Speaking in Westboro dialect:

I think those Westboro people will have quite a time getting past their wall of hatred to get into heaven. No hate allowed there, and somehow they will have to face those they have dishonored once they get there. Lucky for them, God loves all his creations.

I remember a guy that preached the same stuff that they do came to U of M's diag. Students formed a tight a circle around him with their backs to him and played music. He left in a matter of minutes.

Westboro showed up in Ferndale a few years ago. There were people who planned to disrupt and attack them. The Gay and greater metro community wisely said let's have a peaceful counter protest. I'm quite sure it was non-violent - a very good counter demonstration. After the shock of Westboro wears off, they're just another hate group that deserves little attention but should be monitored just in case they go off.

I saw Fred Phelps cruising Woodward in a 1965 Mustang Convertible. It was pink.

His signs said "Eat at the Cheesecake" and "Neda I love you" then again maybe it was all the different boozes I mixed.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-06-11 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I saw Fred Phelps cruising Woodward in a 1965 Mustang Convertible. It was pink.

His signs said "Eat at the Cheesecake" and "Neda I love you" then again maybe it was all the different boozes I mixed.
    I think you're mistaken. When I saw him he was driving a pink cadillac. His bumper stickers said 'Eat Tossed Salad' and 'Bruce, I Love You'.