Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lent fish frys are almost here

Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. In Detroit that traditionally means numerous Friday fish frys. Last year based on information from Detroityes I went to St. Francis of Assisi [[@ Wesson and Buchanan in SW Detroit) and was quite impressed. I took friends and they were equally impressed.

I have to give five stars to St. Francis Assisi and also to my personal favorite the Gaelic League. St. Francis is a lunch fish fry. Gaelic League fish dinners start about 5:00 pm.

Which other churches/VFWs/etc. are popular for Friday fish?

By the way, I don't recall who recommended St. Francis of Assisi but MANY thanks!

Oh how I miss Milroy's lol Probably the local VFW for me

St. Thomas Aquinas on the westside Ford & Evergreen are having them 4:30 pm to 7 pm. Fish, shrimp, fish sandwich, and mac & cheese are the dinners with the standard dinner trimmings.

Sweetest Heart of Mary

http://seekandfind.com/directory/swe...urch_4457.html
    See the ad in their March 6 church bulletin...

St Ambrose at the Detroit/Grosse Pointe Park border offers a tasty fish fry!

Sacred Heart at Mack and I-75

St.Veronicas in Eastpointe has the best fish fry.
    We have been to all of them in metro Detroit.
    Veronicas has all you can eat, plus , 3 piece dinners.
    They must have 20 side dishes

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Sweetest Heart of Mary

http://seekandfind.com/directory/swe...urch_4457.html
    See the ad in their March 6 church bulletin...
    I went to Sweetest Heart of Mary's fish fry last year and it was really good. I'll probably go again, and i'm going to try a couple others that have been recomended here as well.

GUSHI Guest

Does ST Lads in Hamtramck still do a Mardi Gras festival? And If they do what weekend?

People still let some old fogey in Rome tell them what to eat when?

Around Lent last year I started a wiki page with some of the suggestions: http://detroitwiki.org/Fish_fry

Who do you spell the Polish pre-Lent pastry, panczki? Where did it begin? What is it, flour and sugar?

Scotty's will be ready for Lenten feasters next Friday.

The Pope rescinded the entire fish on Friday thing back in the early to mid 1960s. Fish fries are vestigal remnants of an earlier age and have long passed from dogma to fund raisers for the particular Parish.

It is important to stay current when tossing around insults Meddle; it keeps things fresher.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Pope rescinded the entire fish on Friday thing back in the early to mid 1960s. Fish fries are vestigal remnants of an earlier age and have long passed from dogma to fund raisers for the particular Parish.

It is important to stay current when tossing around insults Meddle; it keeps things fresher.
    I must say I was impressed by the love & tolerance expressed in Meddle's post.

That said, Catholics under the age of 60 still abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays during Lent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I must say I was impressed by the love & tolerance expressed in Meddle's post.

That said, Catholics under the age of 60 still abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays during Lent.

Episcopalian's and Lutheran's do it too! And no old Roman fogey involved.
    Last edited by detroitbob; March-05-11 at 11:16 PM.

Well I not only abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays, but I abstain from meat on every Wednesday during Lent. When I became an adult it was something my mother had me do and I've been doing it ever since.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Fasting on Fridays, Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday are still in effect, officially:
    http://www.americancatholic.org/feat.../faqle9902.asp

I always abstain from meat, so the Lenten fasting is fairly easy for me. However what may be lost on the likes of Meddle is that it is also a time of self-sacrifice and reflection, something we could certainly use more of, as opposed to, say, hurling insults at other peoples' belief systems.

Especially in our modern society of consume-consume-consume and our super-size culture, I would welcome any attempt to slow the tempo a bit.

See you in Hamtramck on Fat Tuesday, and with your smudges the following day.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Who do you spell the Polish pre-Lent pastry, panczki? Where did it begin? What is it, flour and sugar?
    It is basically a donut. The Polish took the ingredients they couldn't use during Lent and made pastries out of them. Paczki is plural, paczek is the singular. There is a squiggily line under the "a" that makes it sound like "uhn" in Polish grammar. In Poland, they are much smaller than their American counterparts!

Has anyone ever gone to the St Sylvester fish fry in Warren? Is it any good? I think they start at 11:00 for the lunch crowd..

St Veronicas and Sweetest Heart of Mary are the best ones.

St Lads is good too, when the KofC does it, but I think they stopped?
    Last edited by East Detroit; March-05-11 at 08:26 AM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    People still let some old fogey in Rome tell them what to eat when?
    Some people still love that 'old fogey' in Rome.

Abstinence and fasting during Lent is a way to remind ourselves of the sacrifices made for those of us who are believers. Lent is an opportunity for introspection and reflection upon our lives. It's not some 'old fogey' in Rome dictating to us what and when we can eat. Lent is a time to take an internal inventory and to renew our faith.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    St.Veronicas in Eastpointe has the best fish fry.
    We have been to all of them in metro Detroit.
    Veronicas has all you can eat, plus , 3 piece dinners.
    They must have 20 side dishes
    If you're talking food and bars, pgn is the reigning expert. Ain't a one he ain't bin to. [[I've heard pgn has a moving blind pig in the cab of his truck).

And Kat house!

Best fish fry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast