Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Plans for using the Detroit River as clean energy source

I saw this on the news last night through half opened eyes, I had to dig a bit deeper.

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/expatriat...-power-source/

http://www.vortexhydroenergy.com/

I am excited about this technology and concept, I hope Michigan benefits, especially the City of Detroit. If we soon have a vacant Renaissance Center maybe they could hook it up with this VIVACE system and offer it as a free energy building powered by the river! I'm a dreamer, but hey, dreaming is free right?

lilpup Guest

There were one or two threads about this on the old board - the Port Authority is going to be their test site.

Retroit Guest

If this concept had any potential for actually working, the fact that Detroit is being used as a test bed will surely doom it. The Detroit River doesn't have the repetitive, large amplitude wave action of the ocean. The waves are small and random. It would be better to build a low [[a few feet will do) dam, install hydro-electric turbines, and locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    If this concept had any potential for actually working, the fact that Detroit is being used as a test bed will surely doom it. The Detroit River doesn't have the repetitive, large amplitude wave action of the ocean. The waves are small and random. It would be better to build a low [[a few feet will do) dam, install hydro-electric turbines, and locks.
    i guess you didn't get it... the whole point of this is to find a way to generate electricity from slow moving water.

I remember reading about this a while back. I thought UofM was gonna' start producing electricity for the river walk this summer.